Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a good 6.5x55. I would like to get the Tikka, but the 6.5x55 is special order. I have 2 Tikka whittale hunters now and both are sub moa with the right factory ammo. I know win and Rem used to make 6.5x55, but don't know if they still do.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Remington does not make the 6.5x55, they only did it in their classic line about 12 years ago. Winchester still offers it in their featherweight line of model 70. Ruger I also believe still has the swede chambered.

Of course, here at SC we are big fans of the 6.5x55 and we'd be happy to build you one!

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was going to have a 6.5-06 built, but the cost plus I don't reload like I used to, so I would like something I can get factory ammo for. BTW 6.5-06 is the ballistic equilivlant of 6.5-284, just brass is easier to get.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
ekaphoto said:
Thanks. I was going to have a 6.5-06 built, but the cost plus I don't reload like I used to, so I would like something I can get factory ammo for. BTW 6.5-06 is the ballistic equilivlant of 6.5-284, just brass is easier to get.
The other big differences, and some of the reasons why the 6.5-284 has some popularity support, is that the -284 fits in a short action, and it has the trendy "short & fat" design that is hot right now.

The 6.5-06 is a good cartridge though. Do you have much experience with the barrel life of them by any chance?

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mele said:
The 6.5-06 is a good cartridge though. Do you have much experience with the barrel life of them by any chance?

MEL
I don't have any experance with bbl life. A friend of mine that is very knowledgable has had a couple and it is supposed to be very accurate. He did say the round is a hot one, so I assume bbl life might be shorter than a 6.5x55, but I don't shoot enough any more to wear out a bbl.

As for 6.5-06 vs 6.5-284 the -284 is probably more accurate due to fitting a short action and a short fat case that is more effeciant. On the other hand brass for the 6.5-06 is easy to find since you can use 30-06, 270 or 25-06. My buddy said 25-06 is easiest. The 270 or 30-06 you have to trim down the neck. Ballistically they are exactly the same, and I probably could not shoot good enough to tell the diffrence between the two. BTW my buddy is a retired gun smith that had to quit due to cataracts in his eyes.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, just as another side note, I could build you a 6.5-06 if you wanted, in either the SC1 or SC3. Though no test target would be provided.... unless you provided the ammo to shoot.

MEL

·
Registered
20 Posts
CZ-USA makes a very accurate 6.5x55, but a custome job frome SC. will
be hard to beet if the price is right. A little shoping for parts can make
all the differance in price! Parts are available.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55mm is probably the most accurate sporter made in the U.S. ( or anywhere)

Were I in the market for a 6.5x55, I would get the Winchester. This is the best kept secret in America.

I saw of these rifles and it shot .5MOA.

Mad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts