Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any assistance would be wonderful. I can not for the life of me find the answer to this, and I've gone to hell and back with google and remington.com . With the cartridge length falling right in between a .308 and 30-06 I can't figure out if a swedish mauser would be a long or short action 700! Thank you!

Just asking because I got this intense urge to build something recently, and with tax return season coming I decided to get some information. A new rifle is never a bad thing either. At this time I'm thinking of buying the appropriate 700 action and sending it to ER Shaw to have it barreled in with a light-medium sporter, probably 24" tube. Have the barreled action blued. I have the means to true, lap, and tap the action myself if necessary. Then probably drop it in a "Monterey" type stock from Boyds with some higher grade walnut upgrades and what not. Anyone have suggestions or experiences they care to share? Everything is greatly appreciated. Thanks much all! Cheers!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Use a long action so you can use the longer and heavier bullets that really shine at long range. Also I recommend a 1:9 twist.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You need a long action.

I have 6.5x55mm rifles with both 8 and 9 inch twists. The 8 inch twist is more accurate with heavy, long bullets. But the 9 inch twist is no slouch in the accuracy department either.

But if I were building a 6.5x55mm, I'd choose an 8 inch twist barrel.

Mad

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah thank you so much guys! I simply could not find that anywhere. Ill probably end up getting a 1 in 9", as that's what ER Shaw offers for their 6.5x55 barrels from what I've seen. The 1 in 9" and 24" (maybe longer?) barrel should definitly make the most of the high BC/SD bullets by taking advantage of as much velocity as possible. We'll see, this is the plan for now as things take shape regardless what form Ill post pictures and all that fun stuff. Thanks guys! Cheers.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
MAD,

Where did you find a 1:8 twist? I have looked but found one.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I can get you one. Actually I can get you military or commercial with either 7.5 or 8 twist. The military ones are 7.5, and LW and Lawton will do an 8.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Lothar Walther also makes a .264" diameter barrel with a one in 8 inch twist rate.

It is in the Brownells catalogue as part no: 950-000-001. The price is $216.96.

Now bear in mind this is for a contoured blank. You still need to have it chambered, threaded and fitted to your action.

Mad.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard great things about Lothar Walther, unfortunately right now I do need a chambered and threaded barrel. This is part of the reason Im settling for the 700 action, as it should be much easier to find the proper fitted barrel. I may do MTR barrel, as I was also looking at their actions, but decided price would be a bit steep. Just have to look around at fitted 700 barrels.

Funny actually if I find a barrel that works out wonderfully for this project, Ill be picking up a very similar barrel sooner or later to rebarrel an old Pre 64 model 70 in .264 Winchester Mag, and here I thought I was a .30 caliber dude... if only time and money were more plentiful right? Thanks much for the help guys! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Krieger 6.5mm barrels are also offered with a one turn in 8" twist. And so are Douglas barrels.

Lilja also makes a 6.5mm barrel with an 8" twist. Pac Nor also has 6.5mm barrels available with an 8" twist.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got Shilen, Pac Nor and MTR on my list of barrels right now. Of the three, any opinions regarding superiority? Thanks much again! Cheers.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I like the fact that Montana Rifle Company has 6.5mm barrels with a one in 7.5" twist. This is the very same twist that was used by the Swedes.

(In case you are wondering, one turn in 7.5" is a metric twist--one turn in 190 mm.)

If you are building a 6.5x55mm, it only seems right to use the exact Swedish twist. And the Swedish Mauser is a great shooter especially with 142 and 155 Sierra Match Kings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts