Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have decided to build my first rifle and don't know exactly where to start or what to look for. My intent is to have an AR10 platform for long range shooting at the range (not competition) and maybe some gopher hunting at a long stand off (I know the caliber is a bit much for gophers but I hate the little bastards).

Anyway, what should I be looking for in the different components to build a nice, accurate AR10?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
If you want to shoot long range with 308, get a bolt action. If you really want a AR10 style stock you can always get a chassis system for your bolt action.

Also building an AR10 is not like building a AR15. The parts are not universal, some are DPMS style, others AR10 style. This upper says it fits this stlye lower, but you get it and find out it doesn't. It can be done, but lots and lots of research and patience is needed.

What kind of budget do you have for this rifle?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have agree with the above post. With no universal agreement on parts like the AR 15 it's a lot more difficult to put together a 308 AR. It can be done but it's a lot harder to find parts that will complement one another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a buddy of mine who builds AR15s was saying that i could probably put together a pretty good AR10 for about a grand. Im expecting to pay at least that in order to get what i want (before adding scope)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Like mentioned earlier, there are quite a few variations when it comes to the 7.62 AR platform. The one I put together was based off the DPMS pattern because I wanted to be able to use the cheap and readily available Magpul Pmags.

I would be pretty surprised if you can get it put together for around $1,000. The stripper lower will probably set you back somewhere between $185 and $250. The upper will be somewhere between $150 and $200. So you'll spend $335 to $450 or more just for those parts. A cheap barrel will set you back at least $250. The BCG is probably around $250 as well. So, you'd be into it for close to $1,000 and still need a handguard/rail system or whatever, gas block and gas tube, I imagine a muzzle device of some sort, the lower receiver parts, and a buttstock of some sort.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or discourage you. Just didn't want you to be surprised when you were into for $1,400 or more.

I can't recall how much I tied up in mine but the upper alone was probably more than $1,000.

I'd definitely love to see the build sheet if you get it done for $1K.

Have you considered doing a 6.5 Grendel on a standard AR15 platform? Or were you pretty set on a 308?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im pretty set on the .308 and i want to chamber it to be able to shoot 7.62NATO since there is a good possibility of shooting army surplus. Honestly price doesnt really mean much to me. Right now I am just looking to assemble my dream rifle and then slowly acquire the parts as i get the money. Are there any brands I should look to or stay away from when trying to assemble a list of parts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since there is no standard specification for making the parts for these things, everyone and their cousin hasn't hopped on board with building parts like they have for the AR15 platform. Most of the parts out there are from decent manufacturers with companies like DPMS and CMMG at the lower end of the price point.

Personally, I would decide which magazines you want to use and that will cut down on your options. I'd go with the SR25/DPMS pattern just because the Magpul magazines are everywhere and relatively cheap. But if you'd rather use FAL magazines, modified M1A magazines, or even G3 magazines there are options out there for those.

I would also recommend looking at some factory assembled rifles as well. There could be one out there that might fit your needs and prices on them are down right now. I've seen some from DPMS, Bushmaster, CMMG, and S&W that were right around $1,000 or even less brand new and most of them get decent reviews on line.

Keep us posted with whatever you do and good luck.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I would buy a complet rifle as a starting point. This way you can shoot it and up grade as you go. This way you can decide what need upgrading as a priority list and track the performance with the different upgrades. You can probably get a entry level rifle fof a $1000 or less.
Cliffy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I built a MaTen years ago and you re going to have a hard time keeping it under a grand in my opinion. The Mega takes a normal AR LPK so no issue there but that is where it pretty much stops. Here is a quick list and yes there are cheaper options but when building a 308 do you really want to go cheap?

Mega lower and upper range in price 500 to 800 all depends if you get the rail also. Aero is 250 for a matched set but have not looked at them personally.
308 rail usually 250 to 300
BCG have seen all sorts out there 125 to 300
Barrel well there are all sorts out there and a decent one will be 300 at least.
Gas block and tube are 50 to 100 and do not forget the brake or flash hider.
A decent stock and buffer tube plus spring and buffer is going to be 150 or more. A 308 buffer can run 100 for a good one.
Trigger if you want as most normal LPKs have a crappy one so name your price.
And last some glass and we all know how that works.....

Yes you can go the rout of a factory build but I would rather put one together and get what you want.

Good luck in the hunt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well taking all things mention here i have decided to go the bolt action route with the MDT TAC21 chassis. so far here is what im looking at:
TAC21 Rem 700 SA $689.99
26" SS 1:10 rem 700 contour 7 barrel $377.99
Standard 700 SA receiver Blued (or should i go SS?) $499.99
Rifle Basix LV-1 K trigger kit $144.95
Mako Sniper Adjustable Buttstock $193.30
ERGO Tactical Pistol grip $48.40

Total so far: $1954.62
Am i missing anything? again first time building a rifle online. I already have a 10x fixed mildot that i will be putting on for my scope so i dont need to plan for one of those for awhile till i want to upgrade.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't forget magazines. I assume that chassis takes the AI style mags. They are about $80 ish a piece.

Not to make your decision more difficult, but for $1,900 you can put together a pretty decent semi-auto. Then you won't have to rack the bolt between shots and can use 20 round magazines that are way cheaper than the AI mags.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Don't forget magazines. I assume that chassis takes the AI style mags. They are about $80 ish a piece.

Not to make your decision more difficult, but for $1,900 you can put together a pretty decent semi-auto. Then you won't have to rack the bolt between shots and can use 20 round magazines that are way cheaper than the AI mags.
And the $1900 bolt action will still out shoot the semi auto, and with ACIS mags you can load the rounds longer than in a standard AR mag.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Rem 700 AAC sd 20" barrel with a 1/10 twist $750
Xlr element chassis has a AR style pistol grip. $550
10 round AICS mag. $80-100
Harris bipod. 60-80
$1440-$1500
Not bad for a sub MOA rifle

·
Registered
140 Posts
And the $1900 bolt action will still out shoot the semi auto
Eh. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it. For me, having double the capacity in a semi-auto, 1/2MOA capable platform sounds like more fun than ten rounds in a 1/4 MOA bolt gun.

That's the cool thing about firearms- there's something out there for everyone. :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Can you push 210 vld's with longer OAL's in an AR. I don't have any experience with one. After I'm done with my bolt gun I might start an AR-10 build.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts