Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is go with a Remington 700 5R 24", XLR Element chassis and Timney Calvin Elite trigger and be at your same price point. I have the XLR Tactical Carbon chassis and mine shoots sub 0.50" 5 shot groups all day long with many groups sub 0.40". I also have a Tactical bolt knob, threaded muzzle with JEC brake and cerakote done by SAC but isn't necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do a lot of bargain shopping you could possibly build a decent AR10 for under 1500. I built mine for 1300 not including my cheap SWFA SS scope. But I did do a lot of shopping around and asking for LE discounts. The only 2 things that are "brand named" is the lilja barrel and the ridiculously over priced Magpul stock. Its not a super cool bang stick like others on the site but it does shoot well. I'm shooting 175g SMKs. Target below is the rifles first trip out on a virgin barrel.

With all that said I still enjoy my remington 700P more and it doesn't chew up brass if you reload.
Good Luck though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like you just want to shoot accurately 308 Winchester or 7.62 nato non competitively and try your hand at long range just for spite or to see what all the fuss is about. If this is the case, the long stroke gas piston rifles might be in your price range. Hit up gunbroker.com and see if you can find a m1 garand or maybe another military surplus autoloading rifle. The short strokes are fairly modern technology, but the older long stroke gas piston designs are just as accurate if not as engaging and fun. The Civilian marksmanship program has some good rifles come on the market quite regularly. I have seen quite a few that have been accurised and set up to use scopes too, not just open iron sights. I have been shooting bolt actio all my life and I shoot my dads m1 just to ease the thirst of the autoloading rifles. Accurate rifles those are.

The other option,and this based on only from what I am reading in the original post, use a buddies gun to quench the thirst for log range varmint. You can have a very accurate long range rifle with in the $1000 area. That’ is the easy part. BUT, this is the only part of shooting which I have earned the right to say is cheap, not to mention long range shooting at varmint. Feeding the rifle takes conciderable dedication, family support, trigger time and money if you wat to draw out this talent that you only are curious if you have.

I started out shooting short range with a $20 pellet gun at blue jays when I was four, Today, at age 43, I own a $3000 customized bull barrelelled Sako tight neck 6mm PPC which I can poke eyeballs out at 300 yards when there is no wind and I have the good graces of GOD shining down on me. In todays benchrest verbage, this is known as short range. I do not have the talent, well more so the patience, to do long range, which is if I am correct, is 1000 yards or 900 meters. That is too much multitasking for my personal capabilities. Do you understand what I just said. If you do then you are way ahead of many people who think long range is just going out and shooting. Research what it is you are asking for advise on. Not just the rifle. The 7.62 nato is great, but for varmint and paper, research B.C. Of the different bullet sizes and narrow it down to that bullet. Then find which cartridges go with that bullet size. Once there, do not be surprised that an ar rifleis not made in the cartridge. Now go research reloading costs and reloading equipment costs. Stay away from all that automated stuff, stick with the manual equipment. For most accurate loads, you will want to measure each powder drop for each case. You will want the most accuracy per dollar for a scale. Balance beam is best, but our family can only afford for me to use a idway USA digital scale. Anyways, this should give you an idea of the scope of the sport as far as long range goes. You definitely do not need a Dillon 100000 to reload.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like mentioned earlier, there are quite a few variations when it comes to the 7.62 AR platform. The one I put together was based off the DPMS pattern because I wanted to be able to use the cheap and readily available Magpul Pmags.

I would be pretty surprised if you can get it put together for around $1,000. The stripper lower will probably set you back somewhere between $185 and $250. The upper will be somewhere between $150 and $200. So you'll spend $335 to $450 or more just for those parts. A cheap barrel will set you back at least $250. The BCG is probably around $250 as well. So, you'd be into it for close to $1,000 and still need a handguard/rail system or whatever, gas block and gas tube, I imagine a muzzle device of some sort, the lower receiver parts, and a buttstock of some sort.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or discourage you. Just didn't want you to be surprised when you were into for $1,400 or more.

I can't recall how much I tied up in mine but the upper alone was probably more than $1,000.

I'd definitely love to see the build sheet if you get it done for $1K.

Have you considered doing a 6.5 Grendel on a standard AR15 platform? Or were you pretty set on a 308?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts