• Winchester model 70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...not much has been posted from me on this website..if anything at all. I'm about to buy a new rifle and i'm not quite sure which would be better to get. My caliber of choice is the oh-so-beloved .30-06
I've been hunting/shooting with a remington 7400 woodsmasters .30-06 and it is an alright rifle but i want to move to a bolt rather than semi-auto. I've shot both the Remington model 700 and the Winchester model 70 in .30-06 and was extremely pleased with my groups and the action of both guns. I was just hoping that i could get some ideas of which the rest of you prefer and reasons why... I plan on equipping either rifle with a 3-9x Leupold scope. Thanks for any suggestions you have! Please don't refer me to other rifle models just info on these two listed only! Thanks.

-Dead_I_5_0

·
Registered
109 Posts
I voted for the Remmy, but really, I'd say they are equal in quality and performance.

The Remington pulled ahead in popularity after Winchesters insane business decision to economize on the production costs of the M70 back in 1964. The ugly and cheap looking rifle that resulted caused quite a consumer back-lash that took years to erase.

In the meantime, the military and law enforcement embraced the Remington..and the rest was history.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply to my post. My pops hunts with a remington 700 30-06 and is happy with it...so i think i may lean towards that rifle but on theother hand i've got a buddy who just got a model 70 and he swears by that rifle...conflicting information sucks! thanks for your idea tho. i'll def. take it into consideration

·
Registered
522 Posts
Crazy is correct. I voted for the Rem 700 as well mostly because you will find that "everyone" makes something for this rifle line. You will not find it hard to find parts, mods and customized "everything" for it.

The Win 70 on the other hand, while there are mods for it, they do not compare to the availability of the 700.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I will reaffirm everything that has been said. The M70 is just as good as the M700, but its a matter of parts availability that gives it the slight edge

MEL

·
Registered
383 Posts
I own 2 model 70 hunting rifles, BOTH in 30-06.

I own 1 Model 70 tactical rifle.

I own 2 Rem 700 tactical rifles.

I perfer the 70 action. It is personal preference, nothing more. I do not feel a 700 is ANY better (in any way) to a mod 70, and vice versa.

Do you plan to hunt with this, drive some tacs? Both? Completely stock weapon? Or with mods? Wood or synthetic?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Call me different, call me contrary or just call me mad, but I want the Winchester.

The Model 70 Featherweight is available in 6.5x55mm and right out of the box it will shoot .5MOA. This is the best all round factory rifle made in America.

It also has the Mauser style control-feed extractor. How anyone could chose anything else over this piece is beyond me.

Mad

·
Registered
383 Posts
i'll be turning one of my 30-06 hunting rifles into a 6.5 swede tac driver. Mel and you other "losers" find more ways for me to spend my money than I already have!

Then again, I might just re-chamber my mod 70 .308 tac, it already has a stock :\

Oh the choices.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If nothing else, its good for the gun industry! :lol:

Anyway, off the the *shudder* pistol range with the Mk23 and Five-seven (my buddies). Nothing like burning through 400 dollars worth of match ammo!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I vote for the 70. I have talked to several knowledgable people lately and they told me quality control on Remingtons is not what it used to be. If you find a little older Remington I would say go for it. Saying all that either will be plenty acurate and are exellant designs.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My 2 cents worth

Both are great rifle and are very close to say one is better than the other.
I have found that the model 70 win make a better hunting rifle than the rem and the 700rem is a better choise for biulding a rifle for target shooting and more aftermarket part avlable. I shoot the mod 70 win because the stock fits me better than the remington.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If your going to build up this rifle to a custom or semi custom rifle... go with the Remington 700. If your going to keep it stock... you can go with either the Winchester 70 or the Remington 700. There both great actions... i personally own several Winchester 70 actioned rifles... but i must say i preffer the Remington 700. Obviously... as every one has stated... it is relativly easier to get parts and service for the Rem 700. Also... since the Remington 700 is a "more widely" used action... there has been much more experimenting done with the action... many more tricks for making it better are known than the Winchester 70.

BC

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Isn't the 70 supposed to be a little more reliable feeding wise? The "controlled feed" (pre '64) bit is supposed to do that right? And the 700 supports the cartrigde in the chamber because of the bolt face and give it more accuracy potential (but equal accuracy until messed with)? Or am I misunderstanding something? I have one of each and think they are both equal overall, but I don't get to shoot them much. Someone let me know if I'm right or wrong on this stuff so I don't spread misinformation. I guess if I'm right it comes down to which is more important: feed reliability or customization.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The only problem ive ever had with my Remington 700 action rifles is if the rifle is tilted onto its side or upside down it tends to not want to feed very well. But hey... how many people are shooting upside down or sideways? Well... i happen to beleive in practicing all types of shooting situations. Sometimes... you might have to make a shot under a fence. And if its a solid fense or wall you will have to tilt the rifle on its side to be able to make the shot. I havent ever tried these types of shots with my Winchester 70's... but thats because i dont use them as tactical rifles. I have a Winchester M-70 Pre-64 in 30-06 with a "semi-varminter" barrel and a 10 power Unertl scope... it was made to be as close as possible to the rifle Carlos Norman Hathcock II used for many years. It hangs over the bed in the master bedroom. :) I dont shoot it much... but once every year or so ill take it down and put 20 rounds through it. 8)

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Of course, if one were to shoot a rifle from on its side, the scope would be completely off and you would have to guess at some kentucky windage, and most likely be way off.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes... thats why i practice it so much and love Mil dot scopes... it helps out alot.

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
If your going to build up this rifle to a custom or semi custom rifle... go with the Remington 700. If your going to keep it stock... you can go with either the Winchester 70 or the Remington 700. There both great actions... i personally own several Winchester 70 actioned rifles... but i must say i preffer the Remington 700. Obviously... as every one has stated... it is relativly easier to get parts and service for the Rem 700. Also... since the Remington 700 is a "more widely" used action... there has been much more experimenting done with the action... many more tricks for making it better are known than the Winchester 70.

BC
+1
I can't say anything he did not!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANKS

Hey everyone, thanks for your input on my question of whether to get a remington model 700 or winchester model 70...Alot of you had good information and seemed to know what you were talking about. By the poll results and what everyone is saying the model 700 will be a better choice for me. and I believe it was subthermal that asked wether i would be using a wood or synthetic stock...i'm not sure yet...what are the pros and cons of each? all the rifles i've ever shot (other than a ruger 10-22) have had a wood stock. Let me know what you all think...thanks again.

-Dead_I_5_0

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Before you actually buy your rifle, go to your nearest range and see if folks will let you test fire their rifles.

That way you can get the feel of both rifles. In the end, you should get the one that feels best to you.

Mad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts