Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first post to any time on a forum. So I'm pretty green to this lol but I'm going to try to explain my issues in the most detail I can and hopefully I can get my issues resolved. I apologie in advance if this get real lengthy...

From the top.
I started practicing my shooting abilities at farther ranges with my Browning xbolt 22" .308 than I'm accustom to (being 0-250 yards). I started practicing out to 400 yards with good results after that I was hooked!
I wanted to go farther, flatter, and harder.

I settled on a brand new Remington BDL 24" 7mm rem mag.
With money i had saved up i took it directly to one of the best reviewed gunsmiths in my area of WI to have the barrel free floated, the action bedded and have a 2.5 lb Timney trigger installed. Man I thought this thing was gonna shoot clover leafs when I got done with her.
I also mounted a leupold VX5-hd on it with leupold scope mounts/bases which I had loctited and torqued to spec.

After which I took it to the range.
I was dumbfounded that I could not get it to group inside a snuff can circle at 100 yards I tried a wide variety of premium ammo. Federal premium, nosler partition, accubonds, remington core lokt, and hornady.
Bullet weights from 139 to 180. No change could not group.
I thought maybe its the scope. Put the scope on a Browning A bolt 22" I had. Grouped close to a inside a quarter at 100 yards.
This is my first magnum rifle. I thought it could be user error flinching perhaps. So I shot the 7mm rem mag with light 139 hornadys beside my Browning BAR ii 30-06 loaded with hot 180gr. No change.. 30-06 grouped fine, 7mm grouped poorly.
I forgot to mention I was aware of the magnums getting warm barrels. I allowed 10 to 15 minutes in-between shots.
At this point I thought the rifle was either defective or my gunsmith had messed up my rifle.
In a fit of discussed a traded my rem in on a Browning x bolt 26" 7mm rem mag.
Thinking switching to the brand that has been tried and true to me for years would solve all my problems.
Well.... it didnt.... I can't get that one to group either! It seem slightly better but not even close to any of my .308s nor 30-06s.
I'm at a lose for words.
I have heard nothing but how accurate 7s are but they aren't for me. Idk why?
At this point the only thing I can come up with is shooters error idk how.. I would think if I had a recoil sensitivity issue it would have showed with those hot 180s out of my 30-06....?

If somebody has ANY advise or possible solutions please feel free to share.

I would love to hunt with a 7 mag but not if I can be accurate with it!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Man, this sure sounds like something is loose. What type of scope mounting hardware are you using on the two rifles?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first post to any time on a forum. So I'm pretty green to this lol but I'm going to try to explain my issues in the most detail I can and hopefully I can get my issues resolved. I apologie in advance if this get real lengthy...

From the top.
I started practicing my shooting abilities at farther ranges with my Browning xbolt 22" .308 than I'm accustom to (being 0-250 yards). I started practicing out to 400 yards with good results after that I was hooked!
I wanted to go farther, flatter, and harder.

I settled on a brand new Remington BDL 24" 7mm rem mag.
With money i had saved up i took it directly to one of the best reviewed gunsmiths in my area of WI to have the barrel free floated, the action bedded and have a 2.5 lb Timney trigger installed. Man I thought this thing was gonna shoot clover leafs when I got done with her.
I also mounted a leupold VX5-hd on it with leupold scope mounts/bases which I had loctited and torqued to spec.

After which I took it to the range.
I was dumbfounded that I could not get it to group inside a snuff can circle at 100 yards I tried a wide variety of premium ammo. Federal premium, nosler partition, accubonds, remington core lokt, and hornady.
Bullet weights from 139 to 180. No change could not group.
I thought maybe its the scope. Put the scope on a Browning A bolt 22" I had. Grouped close to a inside a quarter at 100 yards.
This is my first magnum rifle. I thought it could be user error flinching perhaps. So I shot the 7mm rem mag with light 139 hornadys beside my Browning BAR ii 30-06 loaded with hot 180gr. No change.. 30-06 grouped fine, 7mm grouped poorly.
I forgot to mention I was aware of the magnums getting warm barrels. I allowed 10 to 15 minutes in-between shots.
At this point I thought the rifle was either defective or my gunsmith had messed up my rifle.
In a fit of discussed a traded my rem in on a Browning x bolt 26" 7mm rem mag.
Thinking switching to the brand that has been tried and true to me for years would solve all my problems.
Well.... it didnt.... I can't get that one to group either! It seem slightly better but not even close to any of my .308s nor 30-06s.
I'm at a lose for words.
I have heard nothing but how accurate 7s are but they aren't for me. Idk why?
At this point the only thing I can come up with is shooters error idk how.. I would think if I had a recoil sensitivity issue it would have showed with those hot 180s out of my 30-06....?

If somebody has ANY advise or possible solutions please feel free to share.

I would love to hunt with a 7 mag but not if I can be accurate with it!
I had a rifle just like that. It was a savage 10PC/223. After trying many loads and bullets, I just gave up on it. I would have sold or traded it, but the action was worth more than the gun. After filing it away to maybe modify or canablize it in the future I just forgot about it. One day I read a post about this very thing on a forum. Seems they had a sling swivel stock screw just touching the barrel. After checking mine, I found a tiny silver spot on the bottom of the barrel even though I had bedded the action and dollar billed the barrel. It touched the screw when the barrel flexed on firing. Dremel tool to the screw and it is a tack driver. Just goes to show that you have to check for some strange things when everything else (the usual suspects) seems to not be the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if I'm reading this right, two different rifles have turned up the same problem. Did you swap the scope and mounts from the first one to the second one? Have you tried having someone else shoot the rifle to see if they have the same results?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, i swapped scopes. no change.
To add further confusion i shot a friends stock remington 700 7mm rem mag at 100 yards in the same manner I shot the other two. The only difference is I used sand bags this time instead of the rifle mounted bipod and the results were perfect. Grouped two 3 shot groups inside a quarter dollar.
Ammo I used was leftovers from the other two 7mm I purchased. Federal premium trophybond 160gr.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts