Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy my first reloading set up this week and will be reloading for my 8mm Mauser a Yugo m48. I wanted to know a load for shooting out to 1000 to 1100 yards. I know the germans in ww2 had such loads but I'm having a hard time finding anything concrete as to how they loaded their rounds. Any help would be nice, I know 8mm isn't the best choice for a long-range cartridge but I love its history and the guns that use it. Thank you for your help. Darza.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Darza44 the 8x57js is a really fun round to reload and shoot out of my Yugoslav M48, for long rang target work there’s only a few Bullet’s that available that can be used for that application. Hornady makes a 198 Gr BTHP, and Sierra makes a 200 Gr BTHP, which is suppose to be a very close copy of what the Germans used back in WWII. Also Hornady makes a 196 Gr BT Soft Point for hunting, maybe you can work up load with that as a alternative.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Darza44 the 8x57js is a really fun round to reload and shoot out of my Yugoslav M48, for long rang target work there’s only a few Bullet’s that available that can be used for that application. Hornady makes a 198 Gr BTHP, and Sierra makes a 200 Gr BTHP, which is suppose to be a very close copy of what the Germans used back in WWII. Also Hornady makes a 196 Gr BT Soft Point for hunting, maybe you can work up load with that as a alternative.
+1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. Again I'm new to the whole reloading thing. What brand/type of powder would work best and how much? I know its a grey area question but I'd like a rough idea of where to start.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thank you for the input. Again I'm new to the whole reloading thing. What brand/type of powder would work best and how much? I know its a grey area question but I'd like a rough idea of where to start.
You might consider N540, RE15 or even H4350. As to how much . . . you'll need to do some load development and a good starting point to be safe will be around 10% below max recommended charge from the powder makers charts. For example: Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide or https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts