Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1995, I read an article in Reloader Magazine about the 8mm Mauser. This article extolled the virtues of IMR-4064 and at the time I just filed this information away.

A year or two ago, I found some 200 grain 8mm Speer bullets and I loaded up some 8mm Mauser rounds using 44 grains of IMR-4064. This load gave 2400 fps from my G98's 29" barrel. The load was very accurate and soft shooting.

I went to Wisconsin last fall and I gave some of these 8mm Mauser handloads to a friend. I heard from my friend, Don, yesterday and he tried my loads with his M-43 Spanish Mauser.

Don was really excited. He shot 1" groups at 50 yards with iron sights. He was very impressed with the seeming lack of felt recoil. So if you want a great 8mm Mauser load, there it is.

Please don't think that I'm boasting. I'm not. The credit should all be given to Mr. Waters, the author of that article in Reloader Magazine.

Mad.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thank you for sharing that, Mad!

8mm Mauser is great, but the problem is all of the North American ammo makers load it weak. So, info like what Mad just gave us is very cool.

Is there a way to drive it faster, safely?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah Mad can we push it faster, I have a scout mauser under construction, that needs a good hand load. Let me put some pics together, and I will do a brief DIY on the scout too.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Oh, sounds interesting...I can't wait to see that one :lol:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Is there a way to drive it faster, safely?
Don't be such a whimp, increase loads untill you have to pound open the action with a 16lb slege, then back off 1/2 grain. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
hahah thats when you really know you should just step up to a bigger caliber. Sadly, when I didn't know any better I bought some ammo for my Nagant that was made to use in MGs, and thats exactly what it was like.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
hahah thats when you really know you should just step up to a bigger caliber. Sadly, when I didn't know any better I bought some ammo for my Nagant that was made to use in MGs, and thats exactly what it was like.
Been there done that my self when I first started. Lucky for me it was a Mauser action and didn't blow in my face.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Gotta love the Mauser action. I heard a rechambered P-17 fire a round of 375 H&H and it sounded more like "hooah!" than "bang" :wink:

·
Registered
347 Posts
haha...this may sound sacreligious but that sounds God-like...lol that much fire power...that much reaction at the point of the muzzle...much less point of impact for that effing huge bullet.......big bored rounds are God's gift to man. I like my .375 big bore in winchester model 94...

-Brian Shields

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Recoil, I can only imagine! 18 is bad enough that I would love to see 14 inch barrels.

18 inch shotgun barrels are also fun for concussive forces, and my 300 WM makes puddles steam.

Hang onto that 375 winchester, those are great brush guns

·
Registered
347 Posts
they are EXCELLENT brush guns!! i've got the John Wayne big loop lever on that puppy...it's so sweet...only thing is it's damn expensive to shoot!
And ammo is scarce and far between...i reload to solve that problem.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mitchell's mausers is selling new 8mm ammo in several different styles. Try as I might I couldn't find much info on them other than what's listed on the site, but they are offering:

175 grain HPBT
175 grain PSP
198 grain FMJBT
and 198 grain "police SWAT"

It would be nice to know the velocity figures on the ammo...and what kind of bullet the "police SWAT" load uses. I can't think of too many police departments issuing 8mm Mausers :wink:

Here's their website: http://www.mitchellsales.com/ammunition/index.htm

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The maximum 8mm Mauser load for the 200 grain Speer bullet is 46 grain of IMR-4064.

This will give you about 2400 fps in a K98 and about 2550 fps in a G98.

Anytime you get a 200 grain bullet moving along at around 2400 to 2500 fps, you have a serious load.

I would much rather have this load than any 150 grain .308 load.

The 200 grain Speer 8mm has a ballistics coefficient of .411 and a sectional density of .271. A bullet like that will do some serious damage when it arrives.

Mad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey 8mm is my deal , I love the stuff. heres what i can tell you the mitchells mauser stuff kicks some tail the 198 grain FMJ is the stuff but its also almost a dollar a round. I got a bunch of old milspec yugo brass cased stuff for 10 cent a round 198 grain corrosive the only real difference was the yugo wasnt Annealed and corrosive but the trick is ammonia shooters choice is ammonia based it neutralizes the corrosive salts, or you could just buy a bottle of ammonia and then run a bore solvent of you choice through it, just soak it up in a bore snke run it through about 10 times and your guaranteed. i'd put that yugo up against anything i mean unless you really want to reaload who really cares about a cracked neck on a caseing i mean its only 10 cents lol

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The Yugo surplus seems okay...I do believe you on the Mitchell's stuff being good, but they price gouge so badly I wouldn't buy much from em. The reloading is for the match grade stuff and hunting ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah i save all the mitchell stuff, i mean it holds about the same groubs though, its just an anealed case and box primed and cost 10 times as much. not corrosive either. so whats your caliber off choice?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
ah, that's cool.

Man, I can only pick one caliber? Hmm....well....I love .45...and 40...and 36...and .323....and .311....and .30...27....and .22

oh, and then there's guages....

Well, you get the idea :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts