Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya'll seem like a good group :wink: so I thought that I would share a little of my collection with you. I am in the process of building a new house and was packing some stuff away last night and thought I would snap a few photos. These are just my favorite long guns of the collection. Let me know what you think. :D

Just follow the link to my website:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nice collection. I see you have a 5R milspec, hopefully I'll be getting one soon. *grin* you must have a big safe for all those goodies.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bead drawer,

I am not a big fan of that rifle. I have a remington 700LTR that shoots the pants off of the 5R rifle!! The LTR has only had some trigger work done, the 5R has been glass beded, trigger job and a full tune up (about $350 worth done to it!) Notice that is why it does not have a scope on it. My LTR is a .6 MOA rifle, the 5R is a 1 MOA. Granted I am not the best shot.

If you get one I hope you have better luck than I.

OH.....by the way.........I know where you can get a nice 1MOA, 5R millspec 308.......... :D

Thanks! (and its two safes :wink: )

·
Registered
777 Posts
*grin* well 2 safes full are better than one. What scope is that on the 300 Win Mag?

Speaking of that 5R, check your email, or hit my email link if you didn't get it.

Congratulations on the new house!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
caver101,

Thanks for sharing some pics of your stuff! Extremely nice collection (far better than mine, as everyone is probably finding out with my gallery posts).

In terms of that 5R, that is not uncommon performance, nor is the LTR. The LE guys at remington flat out told me that the LTR is the most accurate mass produced (non custom shop) rifle they build. We have had other posts regarding the 5R's before too...

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Carver:
very nice collection
im working on making a big collection as we speak :)
might be getting 3 more rifles from my uncle (2 AR-15s from Knights Armament and another from Bushmsater) within a week or so, my next gun was gonna be a Carbon 15 in .22 LR but it seems thats gonna have to wait a little longer because of this last (almost) tripple purchase though all im being charged for by him is 2 semi-auto lowers :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The scope on the 300 WIN MAG is a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 Long Range, and my favorite scope of all time!! I am a big fan of Leupold, all the scops you see are Leupolds except the small ones on the two ar's and the ruger 270. I have made a bunch of house payments for the guys at the local sporting goods store so they give me Leupolds at their cost :D

The scope that was on the 300 RUM was put on the 5R rifle and is now back in the box for now, was a VX-III 8.5-25-50 LR.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
caver101,

Nice taste in scopes. I think the leupold 4.5-14x Mk4 scopes are about the best all around scope you can get. I like the 4.5-14x40mm PR personally, but the 50mm LR with M1 knobs is also near the top of my list

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
I agree, nice scope indeed. After much agonizing over brands I've decided to go with Leupold, now the only question is which one.

Mel: Any comments in particular about the 4.5-14x40 PR?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
its just the same scope on my Remington 700P that i showed you a while back
and the Leupold Mk4 PR 3-9x40mm is definitely my scope of choice when/if i get my next precision rifle... hopefully in 2 weeks :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Personally I think think the PR 4.5-14x40mm is one of the better deals out on the market. It has a 30mm tube, side focus, mil-dot, target knobs, excellent optics, and leupolds warranty and customer service, for about $600. (give or take). The other two PR scopes are very nice, but only 1" tubes and no side focus. The LR 4.5-14x50mm is excellent, but more money.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mel was it remade? i thought it was a 1" tube
herd they are making VX-IIIs now with 30mm tubes, is the VX-III used for present Mk4 PRs?
the Mk4 PR is a VX-II unless they changed it
or did i not get enough sleep last night? *yawns*

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
And here in lies the problem with their new naming system! Its not totally clear which scopes get which optics and parts!

Some Vari-III's have always been available with 30mm tubes, its model specific. (look at the variIII 4.5-14 as an example).

The only PR that was/is a Vari-II is the 3-9x, the 3.5-10x PR is/was a vari-III. The PR 4.5-14x is a Vari-III in matte, target knobs and mil-dots (as well as other reticules). It does have the 30mm tube and side focus and is a fantastic scope. See specs and details here:

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_4_5-14x40mm_PR_LR.htm

Now, to further confuse us (the users), this particular model is called the PR 4.5-14x40mm Long Range (confused yet? as the LR line of Mk4 scopes stands for Long Range!!)

This model was introduced in january of this year.

So everyone is caught up:
All leupold Tactical scopes are called "Mark 4" now.
Under the Mark 4 line of scopes, you have the
PR - Precision Rifle
LR/T - Long Range/Tactical
MR/T - Mid Range/Tactical
CQ/T - Close Quarters/Tactical

Under the PR line, there is one V-II and two V-III models. The LR/T has several V-III"s and the old Mark 4's. The MR/T has a several versions of a new 3-9x36mm. The CQ/T has their really slick 1-3x14mm thats great for CQB.

Hope everyone isn't totally confused

MEL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts