Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new here. So apologies if this has been covered.
In case the SHTSF, I'm looking for a non-restricted rifle that can act pretty well as a sniper rifle if need be? Including a good scope and silencer - which I realise is not allowed where I am, but let's just say hypothetically.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Reckon if it's not allowed where you are, then we're done here.

-Nate

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd also posit the question, since you asked about a sniper rifle, are you a sniper? doubt it, if youre posting questions like this. I think you've wandered into territory you dont belong.

-Paulus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok - minus the silencer hypothetical.
What is the big deal asking about rifles that can shoot at long distances accurately?
For target practise, plinking, maybe even some pest control.
Not like I'm saying I'm a sniper, or I want to shoot at people.
I don't get the reaction to the word sniper?
Which by the way, is the name of this forum after all.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I think ya'll were a little on the rude side with Microscope who started this thread. He asked a legit question. I don't think the silencer was a big deal with him or he wouldn't have backed off of it so quick. Ya'll could have mentioned that any good varmint rifle (Remington or Savage or even one of Mele's builds) with a heavy barrel in either .308 or .260 or 7mm 08 or even .243 with a proper scope set up would accomplish his goals in good order.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so this forum is for people who have googled everything available first and still has something to say or ask?
Pretty darn snobby if you ask me!
And for the record, the primary use was target practise and pest control.
I only mention the SHTF as a side note.
I live on a 350 acre piece of land with long open fields and also fplenty of forest.
No neighbors nearby.
So when you ask what I plan to do with a nice rifle like the one nice guy posted on, the answer is anything I damn well please - within the law of course.
And have a blast doing it.
I just happen to be completely new to this is all.
Anyway, have fun ripping on future NGs and being all knowing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Micro - this is a pretty tough spot to post for the new guys. I'm sure I P em Off all the time, but they've been pretty civil to me. You just have to watch how you word things.

A great SHTF site is www.gunandgame.com

They have a General Rifle forum as well as a 'rifle by brand' forum. They're not quite as tough on the vague questions.

Like someone earlier said up there, do a google of long range rifles. There are thousands and you can't go wrong with your Savages or Howa's in my opinion. Start cheap (even a .22) and talk to other guys shooting at your local range. Figure out what you want exactly before you invest tons of money. Good luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
We were all new once. So I'll give you some help. Any heavy barreled rifle by Remington, howa, savage, and tiikka would be the first choice. Caliber is situation dependent. 223 if coyotes are the only game on the list. 243, 260, 7mm 08, and 308 can all handle deer sized game. Determine the longest range you can shoot and the biggest thing you intend to hunt and go from there. Get a good scope and a range finder. You can get good scopes from a couple hundred all the way up to several thousands. With glass over around $1000 you really start to get diminishing returns. If you don't want a ranging reticle of first focal plane you can get good glass for around $500. A Remington SPS Tac is around $600. You'll want a bipod and a log book for sure. So figure $1300. Or you could get one of meles packages for $1200.
Read all the equipment reviews. Read all the articles you can.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Here is a suggestion to the OP. Take a few minutes and write an introductory post. Who are you, what's your background, what are you interested in, etc.

Your original post came across as rather, how should I put this, 13 year-old-ish. You also asked what could be easily construed as a rather loaded question - the kind of question that might come from someone who was looking for advice for something that was not fully kosher.

Yes, the board is named SniperCentral and a lot of people here are either former or current military or LEO. But 99.99999% of the discussion here have to do with long range shooting. In the wrong context, the word sniper can be the kiss of death. That may not make a lot of sense to the new guy, but if you spend an hour searching the board, you will run across that sentiment several times.

And speaking of searching, you will probably find that the vast majority of your question has already been discussed, to death, a hundred hundred times. Spend some time researching and then start asking questions. You'll get much better responses.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just dont get it......
this site is to help people with questions ---OUT---NEW OR OLD
if people cant be positive and help
stay off and let someone that wants to try --to try,
how would you feel if someone PUNKED your kid?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have to agree with MOA and trapper jack, we were all new to this sniper central site at one time. Not necessarily new to shooting. I joined this site after visiting the other sniper type sites as this one seemed the most informative. I have been a member here for over 4 years and have kept my original thread going all that time. I have never turned anyone away who was looking for advice. If I could help, I would. If I didn't have the knowledge to help them, I would politely try to steer them in the right direction so they could find what they were looking for. Flat out, I would not have joined SC nor would I have visited again if I had recieved the kind of reception ya'll gave microscope. I would hope that the majority of us here are NRA members and that is all about the advancement of the shooting sports and keeping our 2nd ammendment rights. Ya'll made an un called for snap judgement on microscope without knowing anything about him. Let's just say that I am extremely disappointed in how he was treated. Ya'll are supposed to be better people than that. Just because we have been members here for a long time doesn't give us the right to be rude. I would hope that the longer we are members of SC the more helpful and benevalent we would become. We are not bullies. We shouldn't act as such.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do apprecite the support gentlemen.
I'm a big boy, so let's chalk it up to a little from column a and b.
There is so much good information here.
Reloading, as one person mentioned, seems like a good way to go. (if I googled it right)
The rifle ideas from another were very helpful.
These Varmint lines are amazing.
Good looking guns, accurate at long distances (as good with shorter too?)

So.....let's move past the muck and if anyone has other comments to make regarding rifles and gear/accessories for distance target shooting (and occassional pest)
If it's all covered already, we can close the thread, and I'll locate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well put gsmith. And peaceful.

Good luck Micro. You have a plethora (ala 3 Amigos) of knowledge that can be tapped here. Use it wisely.

And Rule #1: Don't use the S word......sniper!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Micro,

I wont take the time to comment on the posts at the start of this thread, it was covered and everyone made valid points. It was just how the first post came out is all, avolec is a great source of information and I may have few posts but have been reading the site for years! Now onto your question. IMHO start small and work up but do not skimp on quality as you build up. I started with a Howa in .308, but that is because I am an LEO marksman on a SWAT team and get my ammo for free. If I were starting out I would have gone .223 or even .22 as suggested. And, I also have a .22 and find it an excellent tool to increase fundamentals and basic marksmanship skills. I mounted it with a Hawke scope, more a lower end scope. I picked the Hawke because of the review Mel did. I went with a Caldwell bipod, a Harris clone, with Millett rings and picked up a B&C stock. Whole package ran under $1000. Over the past few years I have built up to a few custom builds that are running me well over $3500 each with glass in the $1500 range. This is a process and even though you should start as cheep as you can the mantra of buy once cry once is quite true when it comes to shooting.

My next advice is the best I can provide, find a coach or course to take. I had the benefit of not having to pay out of pocket BUT I have done just that. I have attended three marksmanship courses out of my own pocket. I have learned a ton from each! You can read an article on how to load a bipod or trigger control but having an instructor is indispensible when it comes to improving your shooting. In fact when I get back from my deployment I plan on attending Mels so never think you can stop learning. With all that land you have a huge advantage over most of your peers but without solid instruction bad habits form and are hard to break.

So please give the forum a chance, reed everything but take it all with a grain of salt and welcome, from another FNG.

Sully

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sully:

Thanks. There's a bunch to process here. I was just looking at courses online yesterday actually. What ur saying confirms that I should do one (or 2 or....)
I take your point, lucky to have this playground here, so do it right from the outset.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts