Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Do you own a .50BMG (12.7X99mm) firearm?

• No... i do not own a .50BMG firearm.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes... i own one .50BMG firearm.

• Yes... i own two .50BMG firearms.

• Yes... i own three .50BMG firearms.

• Yes... i own four .50BMG firearms.

• Yes... i own five or more .50BMG firearms.

• Who the heck needs a .50BMG firearm anyway?!!!

• No... but i plan on buying one some day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the California law on the .50BMG... and i noticed it was only talking about recievers that were not home made and / or marked as a reciever built post 23:59 December 31, 2004. This is what i wrote to them via e-mail for an answer on the legallity.

" Must a home made bolt action reciever for personal use be marked with a serial number and manufacturer by current as of March 8th 2005 California law?? If the home made reciever for personal use is not marked with a serial number and / or manufacturer is it still concidered a reciever or as a part by current as of March 8th 2005 California law? Any info would be very helpful; Thanks. "

In other words... could i manufacture my own reciever for private use... but not mark it as a reciever... therefor it legally would not be a reciever and i could build up a .50BMG?

MEL... i know you have an FFL of some type to build your rifles... do you or any one else know? I know laws are different per state... but there are some laws that are exactly the same. Just curious...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
What you are talking about is the common 80% rule. You can build your own rifle, but you must do 20% of the work. So you can buy receivers that are 80% done and then finish them yourself. These receivers do not get a serial number, but you cannot sell it... EVER. It is for personal use only.

Now, does that mean it is exempt from common laws? How about "I'm not sure, but probably yes and no". For instance, you cannot build a 80% fully auto weapon. NFA rules still apply because NFA registration requires a serial number which 80% recievers do not have. I believe it will depend wholely on how the laws are written, and I'm not about to try and deceipher california law!!! You'll need to wait and see what they say... or better yet, since you are military, can you not get state residency in what ever state you wish?

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
You'll need to wait and see what they say... or better yet, since you are military, can you not get state residency in what ever state you wish?
Is Pendleton exempt from any CA laws because it's considered federal property? If so, that might be a loop hole (although you'd have to keep it on base, I suppose).

I met a chap here at school who was from some midwestern state, and had a number of assault rifles, and couldn't bring them with him even though he was an out-of-state resident, so I don't think residency makes much of a difference. I was wrong before, though!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is a loop hole. The ban specifies the .50 BMG cartridge; so all you would have to do is get a rifle with a chamber slightly shorter than the .50 BMG. That way you would trim your brass just a touch and you would not have a .50 BMG anymore...

Mad

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
actually i believe we should design a cartridge even larger than the 50 bmg. Because as mad states, it only speaks of the 50 BMG.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can still buy ammo and barrels and parts... just cant buy a .50BMG reciever. Same thing with AR-15's in california... you can buy every single part besides the lower reciever legally. Now that we have the california legal AR-15 (internal 10 round magazine) AR-15 type rifles are popping up alot more at California gun stores and shooting ranges. There are California legal FAL's and G-3's as well... loading from a 10 round stripper clip into a non detachable magazine. You can still get the 12.7X109mm Russian .50 caliber though :lol: . Only problem is getting ammo for it... and a good barrel company willing to custom make a 12.7X109mm barrel for you. You can still buy those AR-15 .50BMG uppers in California... and put it on one of those single shot AR-15 lower recievers or one of the non detachable mag recievers... But the reciever has to be owned pre 2005. Did you know Barrett made a California legal M-82A1? it had a swing down magazine... like an SKS. Swing down the mag... load it with 10 rounds... swing it back up... pull back oprod... let go. And it isnt concidered an "Assualt Rifle" either... since the magazine is non detachable. Just like an SKS with a pistol grip stock... not an "assault rifle".

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spade said:
actually i believe we should design a cartridge even larger than the 50 bmg. Because as mad states, it only speaks of the 50 BMG.
Turn a .50BMG (12.7X99mm) barrel into a .50 Rooskie (12.7X109mm). Only problem is getting brass and loading data for a 12.7X109mm :?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Actually, the Kalifornicators are the main reason why I would like to see the .50 Hathcock come into being.....

The .505 Gibbs loaded with the 750 grain Hornady bullet....

That would really be the ultimate long range stealth rifle...

Mad

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mad... i cant seem to remember the ballistics on the 505 Gibbs... but if i remember correctly its more of a hunting round... slightly bottle necked. Similar in purpose / performance to the 500 nitro express. Im sure you can fill me in more on the ballistics of the .505 Gibbs... What kind of velocity is it capable of pushing a 750gr .50 caliber bullet? Any ballistics tables would be great. Ive heard people thinking about necking down a .50BMG to .408... i think the pressure would be insanly high on a round like that. But then again there is a .50BMG necked down to .338 :shock: . Not sure how many people actually shoot it... ive only heard of one guy shooting it... the inventor. Im guess the barrel life on that .338 monster would only be a few hundred rounds... kinda like a 7.62 Warbird :lol: .

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
How about this:

"This is not a .50 BMG, it is a 12.7x99mm". Though I would guess the law probably states BOTH names.

MEL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts