Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about opinions on 168 Federal Gold Match compared to the M118LR. I'm considering using one or the other exclusively but each one has some pros and cons. Which seems to be the most accurate on average? I've found a source for the 168s for a very low price (I think I got it from an SC post: http://www.firepowertv.us/product/itemd ... rod=GM308M ), but I'm not sure how long that price will last. The M118LR I can get here and I think the price will hold awhile. It's also already lower than I can get 168s for locally. I'd like to decide on one and start using it soon so I can get familiar with the rifle/ammo combo now. I'll be using it for killing paper and the occational small pest. Just wondering if anyone can help me make up my mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm agreeing with mel, but simply want to add the traditional caveat - it depends upon your rifle. My Patriot loves the Fed GMM, and likes the M118LR, meaning every once in a while it does not hold nearly as tight a groups with the M118Lr as it will the Fed. 168s.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
It kind of depends on application. If you plan on shooting beyond 700 yards, I would recommend the 118LR, the 168 bullet has too steep of a taper on the boat tail and loses stability when passing through the transsonic layer (translation, they become inaccurate after 600-700yards).Shorter than that, the GMM 168 probably has the edge on the M118LR in terms of consistency and accuracy.

MEL

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks. I know that it will vary from rifle to rifle, but I figured if the 118 is better more often I'd try it since I know a little about 168s already and then go with whichever works best after that. I doubt I'll be passing 600 yards anytime soon or often so I guess I'll just stay with those 168 grainers. Thanks again, more input is welcome though eveyrone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts