Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum here, and this is my first post. Remington's 5R "mil-spec" rifle has caught my attention and I'm quite interested in getting one (in .308 Win). I'd like to know when the latest batch came onto the market, and if they're still available. Also, do they have a recoil pad? Any and all info/specs on this rifle would be great.

I have considered quite a few different rifles as my first precision rig. Something about each one has turned me off. Specifically, I considered the 700P and LTR, Weatherby TRR, and virtually every other factory or semi-custom rifle out there, bolt and auto-loader alike. However, I have my heart set on an all stainless rifle, and most precision rifles seem to have a carbon steel receiver, barrel or both. Anyone have any info an any precision rifles that have all-stainless construction? Its OK if they're coated black.

EDIT************
Does the 5R mil-spec have the aluminum bedding block? What is the specification that these barrels do not make to be "rejected?"

Finally, I have heard that a 1 in 10 twist is best for the .308. Will the 5R's barrel stabilize all the common .308 bullet weights? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Practice, Practice, Practice and Shoot true

·
Registered
67 Posts
To start, I'll quote Mel:

A little about the 5R rifles from remington, this comes from my law enforcement contact at remington.

When remington builds the M24's, they have a certain specification that the barrels MUST meet in order for them to be put on an M24. If these barrels do not meet these specifications, they are put in the "Reject" pile. This does not mean they are bad barrels, just that they did not meet the measured specifications (kind of like the douglas air gauged vs. douglas premium). So, after a while, remington had a decent number of barrels in the reject pile, so they decided to make some money off of them and mount them and sell them commercially as "mil-spec" rifles. Now, the first time they did this was about 3 years ago, and it was a "limited run" . It sounds like they do this when they get enough barrels to warrent it, and they must have just ran another batch.

I mean nothing bad when I say this, and I hope those that have a 5R rifle don't hate me for saying it, but the 5R mil-spec rifles are generally no better then a standard 700P. Now, like all mass manufactured rifles, there are good ones, and bad ones. It sounds like this particular rifle may just now start to be coming around, and with the work that has been done to it, it sounds like it should be. There is nothing wrong with the 5R rifles, but if you are shopping, and on a budget, you will not be getting a "better" shooting rifle for the extra money spent on a 5R rifle over a 700P.
That said, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

The Remington 5R rifle has an HS Precision Synthetic stock similar to those on the VS and VSSF series.
It does have the aluminum bedding block, and a very thin recoil pad.

About specs, the rifle is a heavy barrel 24" Stainless with the 5R rifling. The 5R rifling refers to the way the rifling is cut.
It is sharp on one side of the grooves and dull on the other.
I have no clue as to why this is an advantage, but the military has adopted it for their sniper systems.
The remainder of the rifle is cut and dry standard Remington.
The barrel is what makes this gun different from say, a Rem. 700 VS. 24" stainless vs. 26" carbon steel.

In regards to the twist rate, the 1:10 will work beautifully for common weights.
The two bullets you may consider are the Sierra 168 gr. HPBT and the 175 gr. HPBT.

That said, here's a personal account of the 5R rifle my buddy (APK-223) and myself setup.
Mel is right in what he says about a manufactured rifle, but luckily we seem to have a good one.
Here's some photos for you.
They are of APK's 5R and RRA Varminter, and a 3 shot group fired from the 5R on it's first day at the range.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
just bought a Remington 700P
im very happy with it, you can see picutres of it in my gallery and read about the performance there (1/4 moa out fo the box w/ 168 gr BTHP)
it comes with a recoil pad
1:12 twist i'll have to see how it stabilizes the heavier 175 gr BTHP and how it likes other weighted bullets

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd go with a 700p like Jeff 850, 5R barrels are good, but there are better choices out there. I dont think they are worth the extra money, as Jeff 850 stated he is getting 1/4 MOA out of the box, How could it get any better. The money saved could be used on the trigger,optics etc.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yes i am getting 1/4 moa out of the box or after initial break in
but that doesnt mean that every remington will or every remington 700p will
in fact i think i lucked out because most i shot were in the 1/2 moa range seem to be more common, i cant guarntee you that every Remington 700P will shoot 1/2 moa even nor does Remington give such a guarnetee (they do on thier 40-XB tactical but thats a much more expensive rifle)
some sources even say that 3/4 moa is more common for thier out of the box accuracy but i think that this is nothing a gunsmith cant fix just what it will cost someoen else will have to answer that
also a reason why it is shooting 3/4 moa is that the shooter might not have found a load for it (assuming the shooter is doing thier part which im sure some have and still have gotten 3/4 moa)
1:12 twist stabilizes the 168 gr BTHP, supposedly boarderline on teh 175 gr BTHP but ill test this out to see how it does, 1:10 twist can stabilize heavier, maybe 180 gr not sure how heavy .308 bullets (factory loads) would go upto

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bead,

Sorry I accidentally posted a second pic of the 5R. If you are still interested in seeing the 3 shot group (please do), scroll down this forum (Rifles) and check under "Remington 5R barrel (new limited production rifle???)".

As to the concensus about the 700P, I get a little stressed when the 700P instantly beats out any other Remington rifle. Bead is set on a stainless gun, so it's not even an option. The 5R can be bought for the same price, if not slightly lower than that of the 700P, I know, I've done it.

Unfortunately, Remington's only other centerfire rifle that will perform as well as the Varmint Synthetic (VS) or 700 Police (700P) is the Varmint Stainless (VSSF), but it does not come in a .30 caliber setup. What this means is that the 5R is the only option for a Remington action, stainless factory gun that will shoot well, and have the right attributes for later customization.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
well the 700 series rifles that i would have considered were the P(the one i got), VS, similar to my knowledge just no palm swells but other than that the same rifle?, 700 Sendero SF which is very nice,stainess and fluted, sendero stock but only available in magnum calibers, ruled that one out only because i was looking for a .308.. if i was looking for a .300 Rem Ultra or .300 Win mag i would have either gotten a 700P in that or the sendero, 700 VS SF should perform as well as the 700 VS just it is not available in .30 cal
now then the 700 VS and 700 P are still good options if you chose to not get a stainless gun
if you do decide you definitley want stainless then listen to what Dan said

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great input guys. I've contacted some of the local gun shops and although they have to search for it, I hope at least one of them can get ahold of a new 5R for me. One place says it will run about $840.00

The reason I asked about the rifling is that the 5R barrels have 1 in 11.25 inch rifling. I intend to shoot 175 grain match ammo (Federal or Black Hills, whichever the rifle likes better) and I wondered if this twist rate would stabilize that heavy of a bullet. The Army does it with the M118LR in their M24s though, so hopefully it will work in this gun. I still am curious what the criteria for the barrels being "rejected" from the M24 are.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The 11:25 twist was specifically chosen for the 173gr bullets of the original M118 ammo. It works fine for 175.

I have not heard what the exact tolerence criteria are for the M24 barrels, but I would venture to guess that it did not meet an air gauge tolerence test which can be very strict.

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

Looks like none of the shops within an hour's drive can get ahold of a 5R. That leaves me to decide between my two plan Bs. Both are Savage .308s: the 12FVSS and the 10FPLE2. Not sure which to choose.

I'm considering a B-Square stainless one piece base and some kind of stainless rings. As for the scope, its anyones guess at this point.

Thanks for the advice folks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Or, you get a Remington without the 5R and shoot it a bunch. When that barrel is shot out or you get bored - I only put 1,500 rounds or so through my 700PSS before I rebarreled it to a Broughton with a 5R 12 twist) you go to the originator of the 5R design - Mike Rock - and have him build you a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bead,

I was reading about a Sako Model 75 Varmint, and saw an older version, and was impressed. Researching a little further, I found Sako makes a Stainless version of their model 75 Varmint. Sako guarantees 1 MOA out of the box, but the rifle is somewhat pricey, about $1300. If you look around, you may find it for cheaper. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whatever you decide I think you'll be happy. If you do rebarrel I'd go with a cut rifled barrel, most 5r barrels are cut rifled. The major manufacturers of good cut rifled barrels are: Kreiger, Obermeyer, Broughton, Rock creek, and H-S Precision. If you go with the 5R cut rifled barrel Obermeyer is tough to beat, Boots Obermeyer was the original pioneer of the 5R rifling. Mike Rock got a contract with remington to produce their military 5R barrels, he couldn't keep up(cut rifling is quite a process) so Remington got their own mandrels and began forging their own, not nearly as good of a barrel as Mike was providing but sufficient.
A note, usually when you order a cut rifled barrel, be prepared for a wait to recieve it, but they are well worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts