Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all.

First off, let me thank you for being so helpful with my initial concerns on my M44. You have been great!

Second, I was wondering if I could prevail upon your knowledge once more. I have been around sniper rifles for most of my short life, (I am 23) as when I lived in Michigan, my Grandfather used a sniper rifle to hunt, since the scope helped his eyesight better than standard sights. I have, in that fashion, become rather proficient in the art myself, (though nowhere near an expert) and have always wanted to join the Army's sniper school.

Problem is, a recruiter for the Reserves had told me that I should not bother since I have a documented health problem that includes my heart. He states that there is absolutely no way for me to gain admission to that school, should I even make the reserves, since all snipers must be in peak physical condition.

I know that my slight health problem would not be detrimental to either myself or those that I would aid in combat, and after studying the profession, I know that I could be a great asset to my country should I enlist and be given (what I view as) the greatest task in the armed forces.

Knowing that some of you have been through the school, what would you say that my options are? Should I press on with enlistment, anyway? Though I have no military background, I do not mind stating that I am extremely patient, a fast learner, and I adapt to all sorts of adverse conditions and know to follow the will of my superiors. All of these qualities, and a loyalty to my country, make me feel as though I would be wasting a talent should I not be found fit to serve. Further, would they be willing to make an exception?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
if you have a heart condition the chances of becoming a sniper are bad
they dont want to put you through the intensive training they put their snipers through and give you a heart attack or worry about you having a heart attack all the time
im not so sure you would be allowed in the Army in the first place let alone getting into sniper school
the military is failry closed minded about a LOT of things as they have to for liabiltiy reasons i dont think they would listen

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, there is a requirement that your health profile must be a 11111 to get into sniper school. You need to talk to your recruiter and first, find out if you can even get into the military, and second, what your health profile will be given your heart condition. This MAY require that you go through MEPPS processing.

Also, unless the Army Reserves have recently changed, they do not have combat arms, which means they do not have infantry units (except for some training units), which means you cannot be in the infantry, which means you cannot go to sniper school. Now, if you said "reserves" but really mean "National Guard", that is different, they do indeed have infantry units, a lot of them.

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Or of course you could just not tell them, but I guess it is too late for that.

Benefit of not telling them being, they don't know, and you get a shot at your dreams.

Bad side of not telling them being that if they do find out at some latter point, you will be immediately discharged and possibly be prosecuted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once again, thanks, all. I really don't want to join up under any sort of pretense. I suppose that I could attempt, you know, take any medical examination that they want and such. Maybe tough it out, see if I can force myself through it all. The last thing I want to be is weak.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
No one wants to be or feel weak but you gotta think about yourself and your safety too...If they don't detect the problem you have and you don't say anything, you could get hurt. Neither one of us has been through basic so we don't know how strenuous it is.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If its a medical condition, disclose it while you are going through mepps. The last thing you want is to lie about your condition, get into the military (and if you don't die) someone finds out about it and you get a dishonorable discharge for hiding it. THEN, when you are out, you will NOT be able to own firearms!! (its one of the questions on the form 4473 you fill out when buying a new gun, if you answer yes to dishonorable discharge, blammo, no buying of new rifle).

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
And suppose, God forbid, that you have a heart problem in the middle of action. Your heart problem could put you out of action as surely as the enemy's bullet.

And then the mission itself would be compromised and friendly troops could die. Your enthusiasm is admirable, but no one guy is more important than the ultimate success of the mission.

Mad.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
everyone has to go into meps and swears in at meps upon completeing the physical (unless they chicken out then you dont swear in)

i think he meant that you may have to tell them at meps
and in which case theyd probably tell you that the military isnt for you

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Right... what jeff_850 said!

What I was trying to say was that the only way you MAY be able to determine if you would be disqualified or not will be to go through the MEPPS medical exam.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
MEPPS???
u mean MEPS?
Military Entrence Processing Station?

either way i went to MEPS In Ft. Hamilton, NY... had a sign up saying New York MEPS :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No, I mean the MEPPS fishing lures !! (just kidding)

Yeah, I mean MEPS, don't know why I was throwing in that extra P

MEL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts