Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an McM Win. Marksman stock on my SC1.

Anyone know of a way to add this particular adjustable cheek piece to my existing rifle?

Or should I just change stocks?

-snowy

·
Registered
366 Posts
For most of the saddle type cheek rests all you need to do is drill two holes through the stock for the adjusting bolts. As long as you can drill two holes straight its not hard.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The best and easiest way is to ship the stock to McM and have them do it!! Beyond that, for the McM saddle type show in the picture, there is a rectangular "rod" that goes down vertically into the stock, and two holes on the side where the locking screws go. There is a decent amount of inletting and work to be done, but if you are handy and have the parts, it is doable. Again, probably the best way to do it is have McM do it for you.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I second Mel's advice, espcially since its a McM stock, they would be the best at installing.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I've been doing a lot of elaborate shimming to get the proper eye relief and I've been thinking I may just need an adjustable cheek piece.

The jury is still out, I'll keep you posted.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
What about an eagle cheek pack? If you need more, you can put some additional foam underneith the cheek portion

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I have a karsten. Great little piece.

Sturdy from what I can tell. (Hasn't been in the field yet)
Apparently easy to install.

dom

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Brother,
Just a few quick points on that particular cheek piece. It get's very hot in the summer sun, doesn't hold paint well, and the rubber finish will wear if you drag the rifle. Otherwise, I support the recommendation on sending it back to McM and having them install it.
Respectfully,
Harry

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mele said:
What about an eagle cheek pack? If you need more, you can put some additional foam underneith the cheek portion
Oh, I've got the eagle going with strips of towel and foam. I think I just need to work my neck out. I get good eye relif, I'm just not comfy for long stretches.

Hey Spec, you talking about the McM or the one Peetz recommended?

-snowy

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Bro,
The McM's have a nice black rubber finish that attracts the sun like a magnet, and can actually get to the point left uncovered where it will burn your cheek. The rubber doesn't take paint well, and if you do paint your sticks, count on it rubbing off. Lastly, the rubber itself will wear. I've seen a few that actually looked totally silver, from the aluminum underneath showing through where the rubber finish wore off.
The cheek piece from Karsten are Kydex, so I'm sure they will hold paint, and as they are a solid molded color, shouldn't rub to reveal a different.
I hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Harry

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
snowy said:
mele said:
Oh, I've got the eagle going with strips of towel and foam. I think I just need to work my neck out. I get good eye relif, I'm just not comfy for long stretches.

Hey Spec, you talking about the McM or the one Peetz recommended?

-snowy
Actually I use a cheap foam pad like for camping and put it on with duct tape. Works well for me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Something that has helped me become more comfortable for longer stretches behind the stick is bike riding.

When you start longer bike rides, like an hour a pop, it can get pretty uncomfortable with your head constantl tilted all the way back while hunched over. After a week or two you won't even think about it anymore. The majority of the discomfort is gone, even on long rides.

Although not exactly the same as being in the prone position, it is kind of similar, and the bike riding helped me a fair amount. pure luck I found it out, but it works for me. Maybe it can work for you as well.

John

·
Registered
625 Posts
snowy said:
Never heard that, thanks for the intel.

-snowy
Hey Bro,
Glad to help.
Respectfully,
Harry

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
muzzleblast said:
Makes a lot of sense actually, John...
Don't sound so surprised!

Hopefully it works for ya Snowy. Worst case is that you ended up getting some excersise. :wink:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
snowy said:
I've been doing a lot of elaborate shimming to get the proper eye relief and I've been thinking I may just need an adjustable cheek piece.

The jury is still out, I'll keep you posted.

-snowy
Do you think you could go with lower rings? I looked at the pic of Summer over in the Gallery, but it was hard to tell.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts