Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 300WM and the 7mm are pretty stout calibers for just getting back into shooting. Not that you cannot do well with either one, but if you are just getting back into shooting, I think that you will have an easier time with gaining proficiency and enjoying the process with a different caliber.

I agree with NorCal's comments. I picked up Ruger Precision Rifle a few months ago in 6.5 CM. It is obscenely accurate and will reach out a long ways. It will also be much cheaper to shoot and will be much more enjoyable for me compared to a 300WM or a 7mm. With hand loads, a .308 can be pushed over 1,200 yards. I've not shot that far, but I read about it from others that have shot that far.

Your post reaffirms to me that there is no need for total need for honesty in a marriage.Does she really need to know how much you spend on guns? Do you really want to know how much she spends on manicures and purses? Buy yourself a safe, so when she sees a new gun, you can say, "it was in the back and I've had it for years." I'm on my second marriage, so take my advice with a grain of salt!
Hahaha year that line works pretty good on the wife! For some reason the guns keep multiplying. Need to start putting condoms over the barrels like they did in Vietnam

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
It's all opinion and budget and I have found a way that works for me to practice for cheap.
Rather than opinion...it really just boils down to what you are willing to live with. I have never know a person to be happy with cheap ammo and a factory rifle after shooting a custom with match ammo. Thing is...if my rifle didn't do any better than 1/2 to 3/4 Moa I would be very disappointed and would send it back. 3/4 Moa wouldn't help me as I can shoot better than that...but if you are willing to settle for that then more power to you...just don't expect everyone starting out to be happy with those same standards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My apologies for assuming everyone would be happy with the same standards, I was advised to get a "stepping stone" rifle to begin honing my skill with by a very experienced shooter and I figured that it was a common practice. My end goal is a 300 win mag which would fit my goals for a rifle but wouldn't be good to start out on because of the increased recoil which can cause bad habits. As the thread starter had said that he was told to get a 300 or 7mm mag I figured that a intermediary would teach him the basics while he could build a rifle that would require more skill (300 or 7mm) and be far more suited to his needs. I will stop voicing my opinion as I see it isn't very welcome here and hopefully the rest of you can help this person find the rifle and caliber that are best suited to him.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
My apologies for assuming everyone would be happy with the same standards, I was advised to get a "stepping stone" rifle to begin honing my skill with by a very experienced shooter and I figured that it was a common practice. My end goal is a 300 win mag which would fit my goals for a rifle but wouldn't be good to start out on because of the increased recoil which can cause bad habits. As the thread starter had said that he was told to get a 300 or 7mm mag I figured that a intermediary would teach him the basics while he could build a rifle that would require more skill (300 or 7mm) and be far more suited to his needs. I will stop voicing my opinion as I see it isn't very welcome here and hopefully the rest of you can help this person find the rifle and caliber that are best suited to him.
I'm not trying to be offensive...and you are partially right. I would not recommend anyone jumping into a magnum for a first precision rifle. An intermediate step like you say is a good starting point. However it still needs to be an accurate rifle in order for one to see any improvement in their own shooting ability.

I sincerely hope you will stick around as I am not trying to run you off. I just want the op to get information that will get him started out as far ahead of the game as possible. I made some of those mistakes as I was starting out. It took me about 600 rounds before I was able to shoot 1/2 Moa groups...and that was with a rifle that would regularly shoot 1/2 Moa. It took 600 rounds because I started with cheap ammo...and then reloaded cheap brass...and shot all of that with a rifle that was in a flimsy stock. When I got the reloading squared away and the new stock the rifle shot under 1/2" in the first group.

Now...if I can save someone 600 rounds of frustration by giving them my first had advice...I will. It was the advice of another shooter that gave me some advice that likely saved me another 600 rounds.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Barrel life was a factor in what round I went for

This is a serious consideration...especially if you are spending the big bucks for a custom rifle. The 6.5's and the Magnums will shoot out substantially faster than the 308. This however is not nearly as big of a factor in a DTA or AI as it is no big deal (and not a huge expense) to change the barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Days later and I am finally able to check in on this again. Thanks for all of the input you were able to provide. I have decided to hold off on the purchase until I can afford something I will be content with in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will likely be getting the RPR, but since it will take a few months to save up the rest of the funds that choice may change again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Box ammo is for suckers. The only box ammo I've bought is for my pistol. You can load your own for cheaper than you can buy, and it's taylor made. Do yourself a favor and start reloading. I promise you will never look back.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts