Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I want to buy a rifle at the end of the summer... I would like to buy a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle because of its greater velocity and ballistics compared to the .308.
But I just can't find any rifle in .300 WM with an heavy 26" barrel.
For the Remington 700 or the Savage 10, when it comes in .300 WM, either it isn't an heavy barrel, or its length is of 24"...
That sucks... I looked in the Wincherter catalog and in the Browning catalog too, but I just can't find what I'm looking for...
Do you guys know a rifle that corresponds to what I want?
Or should I just forget .300 WM and go with a .308? :/

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but I want it in .300 WM...
Wait... It's here!!
Didn't took a look at this Law Enforcement section... It is legal to posses it for personnal use?

I think I found my rifle... =D

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes. completely legal. its just a bolt action rifle. as far as i know, florida has no laws against owning any kind of bolt action rifle, even a .50 cal. but i know nothing of canadian law.

however, even here in FL, some dealers beleive that they need a LE weapons license to order from the remington LE catalog. i don't know if such a thing exists, but if it does, you just look for a gunshop that caters to law enforcement, they usually are very knowledgable in gun law and will tell you what is legal and what is not and will either have the gun in stock (it is a very popular rifle) or will order it for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just bought my first rifle, and it was the 700 Police in .308.
I did some research to decide what to get and it seemed like .308 was a better choice for me. these are the reasons:

1- .308 match ammo is a lot cheaper than .300 WM, by about 50% (factory loads, hand loading at home seems like a viable alternative but with a costly initial investment and learning curve)

2- I don't know how to shoot, and the huge recoil on the .300 WM is detrimental to first time shooters that are trying to learn how to shoot. Because it may lead begginers or even experienced shooters to develop reflex flinching that is detrimental to accuracy.

3- the huge recoil will hurt you and you will not be able to practice shooting as much as you would like, increasing the learning curve and sucking some of the fun out of shooting.

4- all the shooting ranges and clubs around my area, within a 500 mile radius around me, only have a 300 yd or less range, so I will likely never see a 1000+ range.

5- the .308 can be reliable up to 800 m according to the USMC. Just recently, a marine sniper killed an insurgent @ 1050 yds away.

http://www.usmc1-23rd.com/Longest%20con ... ebsite.pdf

6- Mele speaks highly of the .308 in this website. ;)

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

here's some more info on the 700 P or as it was known, the 700 PSS

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/ ... 700PSS.asp

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The recoil of the 300 Win Mag is formidable at first yeah, but in a tactical rifle the weight swamps it down quite a bit, and a better recoil pad could be found. (Pachmayer or Remington R3 come to mind). With a lil practice it gets a lot easier to handle...Depends on what you really want I suppose. 308 sure is cheaper.

Here's some sites for ya though.

www.wholesalesports.com

www.sirmailorder.com

I've ordered from both and I like em, as far as if you want to buy your rifle from Canadian dealers.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
GunsAmerica.com (I just did a quick search and there are at least 25 300WMs on the site - most with glass and a bipod) and Gunbroker.com are both good sites for getting a 300WM, in a tactical stock. The other source that I look at for a 700P in 300WM would be

http://www.sportingarms.com/

They have them in stock currently at $699.00

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
robintico said:
.308 match ammo is a lot cheaper than .300 WM, by about 50% (factory loads, hand loading at home seems like a viable alternative but with a costly initial investment and learning curve)
Ammo price depends on where you get your ammo... the local gun stores around where i am have match grade .300 Win Mag ammo for $26 to $28 a box of 20 rounds... that is about $5 more than .308 match ammo.

robintico said:
the .308 can be reliable up to 800 m according to the USMC. Just recently, a marine sniper killed an insurgent @ 1050 yds away.

http://www.usmc1-23rd.com/Longest%20con ... ebsite.pdf
The USMC says 1,000 Yards... the US Army says 800 Meters. I have seen a few sniper kills taken at over 1,100 yards in Crackistan... but the sniper had to hold WAY over the head of the target.

BC

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I thank you all for your answers. I'll consider all these facts before the purchase of my rifle! I hope it won't be too much of a problem to buy it here in Canada, where laws are sometimes too restrictive :/

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
It's not too bad right now dude, all it takes to mail order a firearm is a phone call. Have your PAL card handy for they might need the number, a few quick questions, and then the rifle is yours.

Restricted is a different story, but you're not looking at a restricted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with "Recoil", talk to Mel. I'd much rather have a custom built tactical than a factory built. But of course everyone has their own opinon. :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would have much rather have bought one of Mel's creations, but couldn't bring myself to deal with the 6 months waiting period, and dealing with an FFL holder.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Depends what he means by affordable, I suppose...Even then, Mel's payment plans rock.

I decided to build my own rifle so that I could just pay as I go, and not need to be obligated to anyone, stop when I want, etc. I know Mel would have accommodated me, but I would have felt like a jerk if I couldn't be paying when I said I would, so...And, its high time I learned how to make a rifle lol.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Oh, noooooo

I thought you put the skinny end in the chamber, pound it in with a mallet, and the fat end is threaded for a can? Now I have to start all over again...

Just kiddin...with the heavy barrel there is hardly a skinny end at all, but I did manage to get it together even with my short-bus skills

·
Registered
94 Posts
frzburn,
So you want a 300 win mag eh?
Well here is a heads up. It might be a little tough getting a 300 win mag police model 700. It's most likely cheaper for you to get a savage and have it worked on. It's just an import thing. It might take you the same amount of time to get a rifle from Mele and have it shipped through customs. Most stores will have to order a 300 police, as there is not much of a market for them in Canada. They will usually have to wait to have enough orders to get a full dealer discount from Remington. Most guys will try and sell you the Sendero model because a few of them will have a 300 win mag on hand. Wait times can be 3-5 months if you’re lucky.
The rifle one way or the other is going to set you back about $1200.00CND from wholesale sports
check some of them out http://www.wholesalesports.com/shoot/remrfl.htm
By the time you've topped off your shinny new rifle with a good scope you can easily spend over $3000.00

If you want to seriously shoot match ammo in 300WM the only way to go is to reload. Good quality match rounds will set you back $40-$60 per box/20...OUCH!!!. After you get set up properly you can load match rounds for about 50-75cents each. A good 100 round range session will set you back $200.00 if you can find match ammo in any store. damm that sucks.

Now let me make this clear, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I would just hate for anyone to work hard to save their money only to have that nice rifle sit in the gun cabinet because they can't afford to shoot it as much as they would like to. Then to make matters worse they sell the thing to buy a less expensive rig , loose money on the deal or even worse than that...they stop shooting all together. To my knowledge there is only 1 or 2 rifle ranges in all of Quebec that have a facility out past a 1000 meters.

If your hearts set on a 300 win mag then by all means send me a pm and I will try and help you get a good deal. I have a few friends in Canada in the business. But might I suggest a smaller caliber. 308 or even 223. There is so much inexpensive ammo around that you will be able to have more range time than you will know what to do with. A good quality rifle can be had for around $500 and I don't care what anyone says order your scope from the U.S. {those rifle scope distributors in Canada have gotten so greedy over the last 5 years that the markup on glass is uncalled for.} even with the exchange rate being what is is there are ways around it.
But I can help you with glass if you need it. Once again not trying to be a jerk just wanted to offer my own thoughts.

hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Kenshin, I kept thinking about .308 vs .300 WM, for the price of ammo, and for the shooting experience. After all I read, I think I'll go for the .308 : cheaper, easier to find, enough power/range for what I need, and not punishing to fire.

I thank you for your recommandations. I'll contact you when I'll be ready to buy. But that will be only at the end of the summer... (When I come back from my infantry course :D)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Kenshin said:
If you want to seriously shoot match ammo in 300WM the only way to go is to reload. Good quality match rounds will set you back $40-$60 per box/20...OUCH!!!.
Actually, federal gold medal match 190gr HPBT ammo for the .300 Win Mag is only $28 per box at our local shops. But yes, its more expensive than .308

MEL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts