Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I could find was 1000 small pistol primers that are Magnums. Can I use them to reload my 9mm? I use a Glock and a Troy A4. Well I end up singeing off my eyebrows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
All I could find was 1000 small pistol primers that are Magnums. Can I use them to reload my 9mm? I use a Glock and a Troy A4. Well I end up singeing off my eyebrows?

Call atterbury shooting complex and bobcat armament

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not familiar with that. So does that mean I should not use magnum primers for 9 mm?

You can use magnums just start a tad light and work up till it cycles properly.. 9mm is a odd beast to reload.. well alot depends on what you are shooting them from, some 9mm will eat anything some of the tighter chambers need a ubase die.. like if your using lonewolf or storm lake match barrels you probably would want a ubase die but standard glock, s&w, keltec have all done fine with regular resize dies

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dies he’s using have nothing to do with the question he posted.

To address your question, work up to your load and make sure it’s safe. Preferably over a chrono to make sure your velocities line up with your old load. If your load isn’t near the hot end I might not even bother. I don’t anticipate a problem either way. If I were in your shoes I’d prime a few cases and fire them in the garage (no powder no bullet) to make sure your firing pin will ignite them. Not sure if the magnums have harder cups.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dies he’s using have nothing to do with the question he posted.

To address your question, work up to your load and make sure it’s safe. Preferably over a chrono to make sure your velocities line up with your old load. If your load isn’t near the hot end I might not even bother. I don’t anticipate a problem either way. If I were in your shoes I’d prime a few cases and fire them in the garage (no powder no bullet) to make sure your firing pin will ignite them. Not sure if the magnums have harder cups.
I load on the low end. My 9mm handguns are Glocks. My brother has a PCC Troy A4 in 9mm. I hope his gun likes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I’d feed them to a glock all day especially if you’re on the low end. If you have any of your old SP loads you could load a small batch of SPM loads and alternate them in the magazine. Cook off that magazine and you’ll be able to tell within the first few alternations by recoil and sound if the SPM rounds are of any concern. A chrono will tell the whole story though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I’d feed them to a glock all day especially if you’re on the low end. If you have any of your old SP loads you could load a small batch of SPM loads and alternate them in the magazine. Cook off that magazine and you’ll be able to tell within the first few alternations by recoil and sound if the SPM rounds are of any concern. A chrono will tell the whole story though.
That sounds like an interesting technique. Thanks for that. I will definitely do that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can use magnums just start a tad light and work up till it cycles properly.. 9mm is a odd beast to reload.. well alot depends on what you are shooting them from, some 9mm will eat anything some of the tighter chambers need a ubase die.. like if your using lonewolf or storm lake match barrels you probably would want a ubase die but standard glock, s&w, keltec have all done fine with regular resize dies

Can’t wait to test them out. I just got 5000. If it works flawlessly as most of the online info says, I’ll be set for a VERY VERY long time. I’m guessing the pressure won’t affect my Glocks since they’re usually +P rated even though they don’t “recommend” it. My Glock 19 Gen2 will eat anything. My Glock 43X should be similar. My friend uses an HK-VP9. I sometimes reload for him. But if the HK doesn’t like them, that’s too bad for him. Lol

·
Registered
692 Posts
Can’t wait to test them out. I just got 5000. If it works flawlessly as most of the online info says, I’ll be set for a VERY VERY long time. I’m guessing the pressure won’t affect my Glocks since they’re usually +P rated even though they don’t “recommend” it. My Glock 19 Gen2 will eat anything. My Glock 43X should be similar. My friend uses an HK-VP9. I sometimes reload for him. But if the HK doesn’t like them, that’s too bad for him. Lol

Yeah I reload 9mm on the high side so I don't end up with smoke stacks lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I called Hodgdon and they told me it’s bad to use the Small Magnum Powder on 9mm. I figured they’d say that anyway. I’m doing it either way. Everywhere I looked they say it’s fine. Hodgdon said the magnum primer will ignite too fast and leave some powder unburned.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK… I am on my way in to the range. I just loaded 9mm 147grain with titegroup at 3.0 with (WSPM)magnum primers! Wish me luck…

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

All done. The regular primers had more of a kick. Seems like I may have checked up to much on the propellant. Maybe I’ll go up 0.2gr and see if it’s better. But they were shooting identical to the Small Pistol Primer loads as far as 5 yard accuracy. Pretty much 50 reg and 50 mag shot all in a 2 inch grouping at 5 yards. That’s 100 rounds rotating back and forth and some mags had them staggered every other round. I liked how they shot. But I’d prefer just a tad more of a kick. It was almost too easy to shoot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I rotated between a Glock 19 and a Glock 43X. I saw zero damage to the casings. The spent mag primers looked the same as the regular spent ones. I may just load 3 standard and 3 magnum primers in 6 casings without powder or bullets and fire them off one by one and see just how different they are at home.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Also, I rotated between a Glock 19 and a Glock 43X. I saw zero damage to the casings. The spent mag primers looked the same as the regular spent ones. I may just load 3 standard and 3 magnum primers in 6 casings without powder or bullets and fire them off one by one and see just how different they are at home.

Typically (and it may be mis info i have used) but i have always loaded most my handgun cartridges for accuracy at 50 yards then just memorized the range card from 5-50 yards. Typically if its beyond 50 yards i will goto a rife (my 357 mag being the exception) but that's just the system I've developed. Everyone should examine their own needs and desires and load accordingly

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Typically (and it may be mis info i have used) but i have always loaded most my handgun cartridges for accuracy at 50 yards then just memorized the range card from 5-50 yards. Typically if its beyond 50 yards i will goto a rife (my 357 mag being the exception) but that's just the system I've developed. Everyone should examine their own needs and desires and load accordingly

That’s next. Last nights project list to make sure I didn’t blow up my gun or my hand. Mission accomplished. I can’t see 50 yards, so that might be a problem. I guess I can always wear my glasses and try it… LOL

·
Registered
692 Posts
That’s next. Last nights project list to make sure I didn’t blow up my gun or my hand. Mission accomplished. I can’t see 50 yards, so that might be a problem. I guess I can always wear my glasses and try it… LOL

Lol yep.. thats just my rule of thumb, dev according to your needs

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol yep.. thats just my rule of thumb, dev according to your needs

Caltech rifle is on its way back to the factory for a third time. This time they said it will be replaced. I hope the problem stop finally

1 - 18 of 18 Posts