Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reloaders out there that can answer this?

I reloaded 44 Rem Mags with [email protected] with 240gr heads. 18 FMJ Flat Nose and 12 JHP Flat Nose. Well when I got up to the priming part I noticed I had 34 primers in the tray that looked like CCI #300 Large Pistol primers. But I’m not sure if they’re CCI #34 Large Rifle Military Primers “for 7.62mm ammo”.

If I made the mistake of putting the CCI 34s in a 44 Rem Mag with the loads posted what’s gonna happen?

·
Registered
736 Posts

I reloaded 44 Rem Mags with [email protected] with 240gr heads. 18 FMJ Flat Nose and 12 JHP Flat Nose. Well when I got up to the priming part I noticed I had 34 primers in the tray that looked like CCI #300 Large Pistol primers. But I’m not sure if they’re CCI #34 Large Rifle Military Primers “for 7.62mm ammo”.

If I made the mistake of putting the CCI 34s in a 44 Rem Mag with the loads posted what’s gonna happen?
Not that much , you should be fine. 23.1.gr of.110 sounds pretty hot though, thats gotta be close to compressed.. but i see lyman shows 23.5 h110 as max.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that much , you should be fine. 23.1.gr of.110 sounds pretty hot though, thats gotta be close to compressed.. but i see lyman shows 23.5 h110 as max.

I got my data from the Hodgdon site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

But you’re right. It sounds hot at 1400+ f/s

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I looked at lymans and it shows 23.5 as compressed. I reckon thats a heck of a bang.. h110 is one of the faster burning powders

Darn thing didn’t shoot anywhere near 1400 f/s it was more like 1260

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bump it up if you dont have any pressure signs. H110 27.7 gr w 200.gr pill is what im seeing that gets a 44mag to 1400+

The best i see H110 24.5gr of H110 driving a 240gr pill shows 1233fps. So about what you are getting

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Be careful if you bump it up. Pressure comes on quite fast with pistol rounds. It can be no pressure signs at all to flat primers in 0.1 gr. Most auto drops are not consistent enough to chase max pressure in a pistol round.

Also keep in mind that you can only chase max loads if everything is consistent. You cannot push for pressure signs if you use range brass because the internal volume is different for different manufactures. If you are pushing for max pressure, you really need to start with virgin brass and keep the entire lot of it together. You also need same primers every time, same seating depth (very crucial), same crimp, and barrel relatively the same amount of clean.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Be careful if you bump it up. Pressure comes on quite fast with pistol rounds. It can be no pressure signs at all to flat primers in 0.1 gr. Most auto drops are not consistent enough to chase max pressure in a pistol round.

Also keep in mind that you can only chase max loads if everything is consistent. You cannot push for pressure signs if you use range brass because the internal volume is different for different manufactures. If you are pushing for max pressure, you really need to start with virgin brass and keep the entire lot of it together. You also need same primers every time, same seating depth (very crucial), same crimp, and barrel relatively the same amount of clean.
I agree, on my AP I always set my drop for about middle of the range.. I never load pistol rounds to max because there usually is very little room from min to max

·
Registered
2 Posts

I reloaded 44 Rem Mags with [email protected] with 240gr heads. 18 FMJ Flat Nose and 12 JHP Flat Nose. Well ,when I got up to the priming part I noticed I had 34 primers in the tray that looked like CCI #300 Large Pistol primers. But I’m not sure if they’re CCI #34 Large Rifle Military Primers “for 7.62mm ammo”.

Are the primers proud of the case head? Large rifle primers are 0.008" taller than large pistol primers. So unless you used a large rifle primer pocket uniformer in the primer pocket they will not be flush or below flush. If they are proud of the case then you'll have danger anyways.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the primers proud of the case head? Large rifle primers are 0.008" taller than large pistol primers. So unless you used a large rifle primer pocket uniformer in the primer pocket they will not be flush or below flush. If they are proud of the case then you'll have danger anyways.
Hey Ed. Thanks for that info. Turned out I had the right primers. But since we’re on the topic, I’m noticing that my primers were not being seated fully. I think my hand primer needs replacing. Could it be that? They’re Federal 215 Match primers. It happened mid-batch.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Hey Ed. Thanks for that info. Turned out I had the right primers. But since we’re on the topic, I’m noticing that my primers were not being seated fully. I think my hand primer needs replacing. Could it be that? They’re Federal 215 Match primers. It happened mid-batch.

My CPS (competition primer seater) is one of my favorite pieces of reloading equipment. I wouldn’t trade it. It is worth every penny. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever used a hand primer.

Reactions: Blobby159

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My CPS (competition primer seater) is one of my favorite pieces of reloading equipment. I wouldn’t trade it. It is worth every penny. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever used a hand primer.
Is there a link on amazon for that?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Here are some videos I did of mine when I got it.

Edit: for some reason I can’t get the link to work. You can search “competition primer seater” on YouTube and find it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Typically if your primers arent seating fully it's because the brass manufacturer didn't swage the pocket deep enough. I just got into the habit of using a pocket uniformer since I get all types of brass. Some are near perfect and others just stink. The previous primer may not have been fully seated to begin with and the carbon built up in the corner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Typically if your primers arent seating fully it's because the brass manufacturer didn't swage the pocket deep enough. I just got into the habit of using a pocket uniformer since I get all types of brass. Some are near perfect and others just stink. The previous primer may not have been fully seated to begin with and the carbon built up in the corner.
These were brass that were on their 4th reload. So they were seating ok before

·
Registered
736 Posts
All my brass the pockets get uniformed after 1st firing. 21st century works great, its easy to adjust. Hornady works well also but takes more care in adjusting

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
These were brass that were on their 4th reload. So they were seating ok before

Maybe my loads are a little warm, but my brass does not last much past 4 firings with magnum handguns. I get splits in the 44mag brass. I anneal my 500s&w brass to keep it from splitting as quickly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts