Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Maybe my loads are a little warm, but my brass does not last much past 4 firings with magnum handguns. I get splits in the 44mag brass. I anneal my 500s&w brass to keep it from splitting as quickly.
I would guess you loading hot if your only getting 4 .. I have some starline about to hit 20 loads and regular remmington ammo I get 7 to 8

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too would suggest you are loading a tad TOO Hot for your own, particular revolver. It could be that with your gun the chambers have been reamed a trifle sloppy by the manufacturer and it is being overly stretched at each firing then compressed hard to get it back into shape in your dies during the reloading process... That would certainly explain the split cases so early on in your reloadings... T.b.h. If that IS the case (pun NOT intended) there is little you can do here cos virtually ANY MAGNUM Reload will stretch the brass out to fill the chambers. That would likely require a completely new cylinder - a potentially expensive fix.

When I was shooting handguns here in the UK - back when we were (sort of) trusted by our then Governments - I didn't go into whether I could find heavier walled brass for my (.357) 6" S&W 586 as even with MY pretty stiff "fun" loads in the Winchester brass I was using they held up pretty well in my revolver, so I had no need to search for 'thicker' brass. But if there IS Thicker Walled Brass, that you can readily source, then that MAY(?) help some??

As to your initial query ref: using LRP in a magnum pistol...
1). They may not fit properly as I believe their external dimensions are slightly greater than the usual LPP you SHOULD be using.
&
2). I think there is slightly more explosive material in the pellet in the cup of rifle primers as compared to pistol primers. If this is so (and I am fairly sure it is) then you could, with an already fairly HOT load, push it into the DANGEROUS PRESSURES level in your revolver. I was always (still am) known to be a "HOT" reloader (now only rifles), but even back then when I COULD reload for a legally held magnum revolver I would NEVER have used a rifle primer (magnum or not) in my magnum revolver reloads..... even assuming those would comfortably fit the primer pockets of my pistol brass ... though it would have been SMALL rifle and pistol primers in my case.

Good Luck - but be Careful!
Blobbs....

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
My loads are well within the range in the book and do not show pressure. I am shooting them in an ultralight s&w and I have to crimp them quite hard to keep bullets from backing out. The strong crimp and moderate to heavy load is probably the culprit, but it shoots well and brass isn’t that expensive.

Reactions: Blobby159

·
Registered
736 Posts
My loads are well within the range in the book and do not show pressure. I am shooting them in an ultralight s&w and I have to crimp them quite hard to keep bullets from backing out. The strong crimp and moderate to heavy load is probably the culprit, but it shoots well and brass isn’t that expensive.
Do you cross reference your loads with a couple sources? I do.. the reason I ask is you will may find significant differences in min and max between lets say hornady and lyman (just picked those 2 as examples) I've found on my 357 mag the max load in 3 different sources had a 1.5 gr spread which is ALOT on most handgun cals. You probably know all this already but just throwing it out there:)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Do you cross reference your loads with a couple sources? I do.. the reason I ask is you will may find significant differences in min and max between lets say hornady and lyman (just picked those 2 as examples) I've found on my 357 mag the max load in 3 different sources had a 1.5 gr spread which is ALOT on most handgun cals. You probably know all this already but just throwing it out there:)

Yes. There is often quite a bit of difference between manuals. I use multiple books and am not to max in any of them. They are not showing pressure signs either which while it comes on fast, they will if they are over pressure. I have shot enough of these loads to know they are not a problem, they just work through brass. The necks splitting are likely because of the hard crimp which is necessary with the ultralight gun.

Reactions: Blobby159

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes. There is often quite a bit of difference between manuals. I use multiple books and am not to max in any of them. They are not showing pressure signs either which while it comes on fast, they will if they are over pressure. I have shot enough of these loads to know they are not a problem, they just work through brass. The necks splitting are likely because of the hard crimp which is necessary with the ultralight gun.
Could be.. I use .. I wouldn't say really hard crimp on my 357 and 44mags but definitely between moderate and tight

·
Registered
736 Posts
where to get one?, any lead
Look at the Frankford arsenal perfect prime. I have one and absolutely love it. It comes with ALL the shell holders, has dead stop and adjustments in .001 plus when you hold it in your hand, you can feel your holding a piece of steel that will last a lifetime

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
where to get one?, any lead
PrimalRights.com

The CPS is in a class of its own. I have used other primer seaters and nothing compares.

Call the number on the site. Talk to Greg and he will answer any questions you have. Greg is the inventor of the CPS.

Reactions: Raymond Balducci
21 - 30 of 30 Posts