Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 18 years old. i love in weatherford ok. i have always had the dream of being a sniper. or a sharpshooter for swat. pref a sniper. i just want to know one thing. i can shoot a playing card in half at 100 yards with my 22 cal lr. with a simmons 3-9-40mm scope. bout 7 out of 10 times. i think i have the mental state and the physical state to be a sniper. but is my shooting good enough. i hunt all the time and i have never missed a deer. it just seems like i have the nic for being a sniper. and my vision is excellent. i can stand 10 feet behing the 20/20 line and still read the bottom line. im just wondering. i have been training with a ex sniper for usmc that got a walled out of the marines for want to kill every enemy he could find. they thaught he was crazy. but he has trained me pretty good. does anybody think i have what it takes. wb and let me know. thanx
semper fi.
god bless carlos H. we love you

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry.

im a really fast typer. i hafe to type fast to get out what im thinking. sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey man,

Cool to hear that your shooting is really developed, and thats good stuff. Theres no real way to tell how good you are until you humble yourself at the long distance game. I'm a younger shooter who just got into it myself, and trust me, there is no real way to see how you will shoot at 600-1000 meters. The only way to do it is to do it.

Aside from that though, I don't wanna say it is the least important part, but marksmanship can be taught to anyone. To be considered for sniper training the only marksmanship standard you need in the US is to be rated "expert" when you qualify I believe. I'm not trying to dis you, but everything else, they would have to teach you.

The other factors of being a sniper cannot be taught, ya either have em or you don't.

I'm a little curious about this sniper who trains you...What exactly does he teach you? His attitudes fly in the face of everything a sniper is supposed to be and I would take that as a big red flag.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm a little curious about this sniper who trains you...What exactly does he teach you? His attitudes fly in the face of everything a sniper is supposed to be and I would take that as a big red flag.
If you are barred from a profession that is dedicated exclusively to that of taking lives through aimed fire at extended ranges, because you cannot hold back from killing someone once you've set up the shot, then you shouldn't be teaching others.

I would even be tempted to say that your judgement has been compromised by training with this fellow. But since I do not know you personally, nor do I know this former Scout Sniper, I cannot and will not say that. Something to keep in mind perhaps.

but he has trained me pretty good
Yes, and I thought that I was trained fairly well in two or so martial arts, and then I ended up in a situation where I needed to take some guys down, and it turns out that I wasn't trained that well. The only way to tell how well your training holds up is in a no-holds-barred scenario.

The general idea is that it's better to be a "Tabula Rasa" (Blank Slate) when you enter the military so that they can teach you how to do everything from scratch.

As you may know, the sniper selection program is tiered and sniper candidates are selected by platoon and company leaders who then forward that candidate to the Sniper School, where he/she passes/fails.

Since you seem a capable shot, and you have good (Probably excellent) eyesight, in addition to the required physical conditioning, then you might have a good chance, but

I'm not trying to dis you, but everything else, they would have to teach you.

The other factors of being a sniper cannot be taught, ya either have em or you don't.
Is what it all boils down to.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
First off, I'd have to agree with the comments about this dude who's been "training" you. I agree with AK that when someone in his profession gets told "you're too violent" it's a sign that all is not right in Never Never Land. I don't want to sound mean or anything (that is to say "don't let him know I said this because I don't want some nutty ex-leatherneck looking for me and I've got enough BS to handle right now thank you"), but the hamster might have fallen off the wheel. I'm only telling you that for your own well being. Secondly, the skills besides marksmanship aren't something you just learn. They are there already and training will only hone them and show you better ways to use them. Sounds like your shooting is on the right track though. Get out farther and see how you do; they like you to shoot much farther than 100 yards. One other thing, shooting isn't the most emphasized skill for a sniper. Stealth, stalking, and the ability to go undetected for extended periods of time with little to no support is much more valued.

·
Registered
576 Posts
"Missing a shot at 500 metres will never get you killed provided the enemy does not know where you are."

·
Registered
114 Posts
The general idea is that it's better to be a "Tabula Rasa" (Blank Slate) when you enter the military so that they can teach you how to do everything from scratch.
while for the most part that is true. having some knowledge of basic marksmanship is a plus as long as you are still willing to be taught better skills. it makes my job alot easier to teach someone basic marksmanship when they already have a working knowledge of it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
having some knowledge of basic marksmanship is a plus as long as you are still willing to be taught better skills. it makes my job alot easier to teach someone basic marksmanship when they already have a working knowledge of it.
I should have included this in the original post. Applicable to anything you do that you have prior knowledge of.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ah yes that is so very true. for me it would be sniping in general. i am already a great marksman and i am a marksmanship instructor but i know there is more to sniping than marksmanship which is why i want to learn.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey thanx

i realize that there is more to sniping than pulling the trigger. this guy is just helping me learn the basics about breathing, reloading, and becoming a more spiritual shot. thats all. but i love to hunt. i have a ghillie suit also. i shot a 6pt buck this year with a bow tracking it on foot. i love stealth and camo designs. i also have won 2 sniper paintball matches is okc. thats fun also. i just want to become the few and elite. i appretiate what yall have said. thanx

semper fi
larry,

·
Registered
70 Posts
AK said:
If you are barred from a profession that is dedicated exclusively to that of taking lives through aimed fire at extended ranges, because you cannot hold back from killing someone once you've set up the shot, then you shouldn't be teaching others.

I would even be tempted to say that your judgement has been compromised by training with this fellow. But since I do not know you personally, nor do I know this former Scout Sniper, I cannot and will not say that. Something to keep in mind perhaps.

[quote:29a3yuml]but he has trained me pretty good
Yes, and I thought that I was trained fairly well in two or so martial arts, and then I ended up in a situation where I needed to take some guys down, and it turns out that I wasn't trained that well. The only way to tell how well your training holds up is in a no-holds-barred scenario.

As you may know, the sniper selection program is tiered and sniper candidates are selected by platoon and company leaders who then forward that candidate to the Sniper School, where he/she passes/fails.

Since you seem a capable shot, and you have good (Probably excellent) eyesight, in addition to the required physical conditioning, then you might have a good chance, but

I'm not trying to dis you, but everything else, they would have to teach you.

Is what it all boils down to.[/quote:29a3yuml]

:mrgreen: Good Post!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts