Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as many of you know, APK is strapped for cash. Big time!!! But while browsing around a local shop this afternoon, I spotted a nice Anchutz 22lr for sale. It is expensive, $550-600 (dont remember exactly), but what do you guys think of this rifle?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Well it's an over rated pice of crap. Where exactly was this rifle at? Can you give me directions etc?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is that a good thing or not? lol. Ek, what can you tell me about this rifle? I was hoping to maybe get into some .22 matches. They seem to be gaining widespread popularity.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Wish I could help you APK, but I never used one :cry: They have a great reputation though.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
So is that a good thing or not? lol. Ek, what can you tell me about this rifle? I was hoping to maybe get into some .22 matches. They seem to be gaining widespread popularity.
I have never fired one, but the anchutz is the one most olympic teams use. They have 2 basic action types, the 54 and 64. The 54 is supposed to be the olympic class rifle, but the 64 is probably as good or close enough you wouldn't be able to tell the diffrence unless you are a world class shooter. A friend of mine bought an Anchutz, can't remember 54 or 64, but said it is in a class all its own. As far as pricing, I don't know, but that sounds about right. try www.rimfirecentral.com for folks who really know there way around these. Even if the bbl is shot out a rebarrl and your up and running with a winning rifle.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ek

Does anyone else have any experience w/ 22s? Is a Ruger 10/22 a better place to start? I just saw this Anschutz and it caught my eye, it has a beautiful walnut stock and i just got the 'ooooooo i want that' feeling.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
thanks ek

Does anyone else have any experience w/ 22s? Is a Ruger 10/22 a better place to start? I just saw this Anschutz and it caught my eye, it has a beautiful walnut stock and i just got the 'ooooooo i want that' feeling.
I have a 10/22 and you can pour enough money into them to buy an Anchutz, and still not get a rifle that shoots as well. Don't get me wrong, you can get them to shoot really really well, but get the Anchutz if you want to shoot in a match. BTW shooting a .22 will really improve your shooting skills. No recoil, low noise etc. Also the .22 is very unforgiving of mistakes. Remember your follow through.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have an Anchutz .22lr with a 26 inch bull barrel and heavy duty iron sites. A old CHIPie gave it to me. He said he got bronze in an all police olympic contest thing. I can say they are very nice rifles. I wouldn't know the price but I like the price I got mine at (Free) lol. I wouldn't mind having another one.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are most 22 matches done w/ iron sights or scopes? Becasue this has a weaver style mounting portion on top of the action, but no iron sights. Ek, what do you think of the price?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
Are most 22 matches done w/ iron sights or scopes? Becasue this has a weaver style mounting portion on top of the action, but no iron sights. Ek, what do you think of the price?
Iron sites or scope depends on the match. Some use either, other iron site only. Depends on the match. The one I used to shoot in was either.

As for price I have no idea really. I looked on guns america and they were priced at $350 to 1500 used. They make several variations of the 64 action. Some are single shot, other repeaters. Diffrent stock options as well. The best thing to do is get the exact model if you can. (that can be a chore) and look it up in the blue book of values. No matter how well the gun is priced, always always always try to talk them down. Did I ever mention I am a cheap Bas---d?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the rifle. I am bad at guessing prices, but IF it includes the scope, and IF it is is in good shap it Probably is worth it. I just don't know since the Anchutz line is complex, mind boggling and prices vary. The thing to do is get the EXACT model, ie 1710g 1905 etc. then look it up in a gun value book. Do like I do and go to a book store and look it up. I don't buy the expensive thing. BTW they have the 2 actions, but the model numbers have some complex system only a true german could understand and each number designates stock, bbl lenght, trigger type, bbl weight bla bla bla. It looks like a fine rifle, why is the guy selling it? Did he shoot out the bbl? What condition is it in? While I would love to have and Anchutz, do your homework first and make sure you are not getting screwed. It should take you two hours max to do the necassary research. If the gun is priced right, try to talk him down. If he doesn't come down go ahead and get it, but ONLY if the rifle is worth it. Always try to talk them down. Just be polite, not rude.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No scope or anything, just the rifle. I'm leaving right now to go check it out and do the necessary research. I will keep you update.

btw- would I be better off just getting a Ruger like a 10/22 or something?

Or maybe keep the 5R? I'm at the point where this is costing soooooooo much, I might just keep it. That might piss off the guy who wants it, but what do you think????

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
How badly do you want to take part in the rimfire matches? If you buy a 10/22 you can take your time in throwing bling-bling on it and there are a ton of resources on the net. The anchutz should shoot great out of the box, but it's a little costly...Not sure what would be the best course for you personally.

If you decide not to sell the 5R and the dude gets upset, well...it's your gun and you can do what you want with it. If you decide not to sell he'll just have to go find a tissue somewhere/

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I still say get the Anchutz if the price is in the ball park. To get a 10/22 it will cost you $200. New bbl $200. New stock $100. Trigger $100 that is $600 and if you sell the 10/22 you will never get the money out of it. The Anchutz will only go up in value and shoot better than the 10/22. My guess is it's a worth the money, but always check first unless you know 100%

·
Registered
94 Posts
$500.00 will by you a savage FP-10 from this site.
Just a thought
\
if you want a 22 to run matches with my God son bought an EAA Biathlon basic for under $350.00 It has a weaver mount cut for it and this little thing smokes.He's 13 and right now is the Canadian army cadet Jr biathalon champ. I'm so proud :D Try gunbroker.com I'm sure some one is selling one there.
hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts