Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on products to help with angle shooting, I know of several products out there and the prices vary. Keep in mind this will mostly be utilized in an urban environment (SWAT sniper), it will be used on a Rem. .308. I have some experience with angle shooting and I'm looking to improve the accuracy of angle measurements. Looking at something that would attach to the weapon system itself and not simply using a protractor. I'm sure there are a few in here that have experience with several different products.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Badger is a cosine indicator and not an angle indicator. It saves a step in the process. The rest is just an accurate laser range finder and doing the math.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I may be out of line here and if I am tell me. But as a urban police sniper how much effect is an angle going to have on the relatively short distances police usually shoot? I'm not saying you don't need it, I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I may be out of line here and if I am tell me. But as a urban police sniper how much effect is an angle going to have on the relatively short distances police usually shoot? I'm not saying you don't need it, I'm just wondering.
Initially I was thinking the same thing. From time to time you'll run into a fellow that just wants to expand his technical and tactical expertise. I sure can't argue with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Possibly ALOT. Urban sniping is potentially the most high angle place you can be. Man made mountains. Also crazy cross winds, good times.

But to answer the OPs question, cosign indicator is the best and most feasible option. And failing that a good solution for angle shooting is "aim nuts and pull the trigger"

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If you are shooting a target 200 yards line of sight from a building 141 yards tall (most engagements are closer than that...and very few buildings are that tall) then the point of aim will be off by less than 3 inches assuming you are shooting a 308 with 168 smk's. Whether shooting uphill or downhill you will always hit higher than the same line of sight range on flat ground.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you are shooting a target 200 yards line of sight from a building 141 yards tall (most engagements are closer than that...and very few buildings are that tall) then the point of aim will be off by less than 3 inches assuming you are shooting a 308 with 168 smk's. Whether shooting uphill or downhill you will always hit higher than the same line of sight range on flat ground.
At 50yds he should be able to shoot at things the size of dimes that are moving, it's a different skill than 12" steel at 800yds. One inch should be accounted for, three uncontrolled inches can change the lives of a lot of people (not my quote but I remembered it). For dignitary protection everything seems to be high angle, ever looked off the back of a large stadium? Now imagine a hide on the top of the light poles.

~Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good information and valid points. I'm looking to both expand my skill and trade and yes there may be a time where it is needed. I'd rather hVe the gear I need when it's needed then be SOL We have been conducting more elevated shooting positions during our training and yes it usually 100yars and in but again I want the skill to expand that distance if needed and be able and comfortable to take an accurate shot if needed

·
Registered
344 Posts
Eight or ten years ago I was sitting with a couple of guys from the West Virginia State Police at the International SWAT Sniper Symposium banquet.
I was trying to sell the idea that cop shooters really need to step up their game by shooting from positions other than prone and distances greater than 100-yards.
These two guys listened intently and apparently were motivated to take my advice.
At the Symposium the following year the same two guys gave a debrief of a shooting where they neutralized a suspect at a range in excess of 500-yards.
Sometimes it's helpful to train to the possible rather than the probable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts