Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

another question

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  StealTh 
#1 ·
any one have feelings for the remington 710? I hear it's not good... but let's ask the pros! :wink:

-Brian Shields

#4 ·
First of all I have never actually fired one. I hear they are accurate, but the 3-4 I have handled are very hard to open the bolt. In fact I could not open the bolt on one without pounding on it with my fist, the fitting was so rough it felt like sand was in the action. In fact when I pounded it open it took several blows and it opend a little each blow. The triggers suck even compared to the lawyer triggers of today.

The second problem is the locking lugs lock onto a place machined on the bbl. While this isn't all bad, my understanding is it is impossable to do a bbl swap if you want to changes calibers, bbl gets ruined etc.

If anyone has other opinions I am willing to listen, and please correct me if I am wrong. That was what I have heard.

#6 ·
The one I used was in 30-06 and with the low rent scope it shot 2-2.5 inch groups. I didn't have the same trouble as Eka with the bolt but I found if you move it from side to side at all while pulling it back (kinda like a slight wiggle) it binds.

Another thing I found kinda funky was the impregnated teflon parts of the receiver which are supposed to self-lubricate. I dunno how that fares over a long amount of time.

It was a servicable rifle, for the average hunter, and priced affordably. But there are many better rifles priced as affordably.

#7 ·
Even just stepping up to a plain 700 sps (for not much more money) is a huge improvement. I do not like all the plastic pieces on the 710, and the barrel mounting is "suspect" in my book, but of course, my book is about making rifles more accurate. I have stayed completely away from the 710

MEL

#9 ·
That's a good idea, Mad.

I see no reason a good Savage should be cheaper, but it actually works that way here sometimes :D You would be much better off with the Savage.

It's twice the price of the 710, nearly...But Mad mentioned the Tikka T3. I think it was the Hunter model, but the T3 Lite is a wonderful rifle, with an MOA guarantee.

#10 ·
Isnt it made out of fewer parts for manufacturing purposes?

Also, I wonder if you could even add onto this rifle with sertain parts?

muzzleblast said:
Another thing I found kinda funky was the impregnated teflon parts of the receiver which are supposed to self-lubricate. I dunno how that fares over a long amount of time.
From what i've heard they wear out over time so you would end up with a rifle that makes more noise than you while walking through the forest :lol:

StealTh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.