Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Are Anti-CANT devices useful?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think about Anti-CANT devices?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
An anti cant device can be useful in some situations, espically when learning. Like all devices it is not right in all situations and IMHO should be used as a training aid. There is no device that will substute for good training and experance. Also I wouldn't spend big bucks on something fancy, inecpensive and simple will do. A good instructor/coach will do better than any device made.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about this?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have one of those on a few of my rifles... they work great when your shooting on a hill or other slanted angle enviornment... just make sure you mount it correctly or its worthless.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand thx. I think for $30 it is a fair investment. But alas I need a bag first!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Looks simple enough. I don't know anything about it. You need to make sure you have it on the scope correctly otherwise it will show level when it is canted. Honestly if your just beginning to shoot I would forget the gee whizz stuff like that for now and concentrate on the baics: position, natural point of aim, breathing and trigger control. The best device you can get is a snap cap and dry fire using CORRECT tenique. Find a shooting club near you and learn from the people that are shooting good. Be wary of people who claim to shoot well watch the ones that win.

Dry Fire

Travel to a local high power or benchrest match and WATCH.

DRY FIRE.

Read quality books on how to shoot correctly.

DRY FIRE!

David Tubb has an exellant book out on shooting. His trigger control and breathing tenique are diffrent than what most people teach and similar to how my father taught me, but holding the rifle and body position and training ideas are very good.

DRY FIRE!

Hope this helps. Remember no gizmo will substute good practice and training.

DRY FIRE every day!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Make sure and use VERY VERY VERY VERY good snap caps if you are going to dry fire... personally... i say buy a bunch of cheap SP-BT ammo and shoot it for real. :)

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Here is a guy that has some great books out. He has won Camp Perry 11 times.

http://www.davidtubb.com/about_david.html

About David Tubb

David Tubb is arguably the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championship titles at Camp Perry, Ohio. That's five more than next best. In addition, David is an NRA Silhouette Rifle legend, having won nearly 30 open, individual national championship titles in all four rifle categories. David has also won seven Sportsmen's Team Challenge championships along with six NRA Long Range Rifle (600-1000 yd.) national championships.

Trophies aside, though, David's biggest contribution to our shooting sports is his innovative mind. David has always been a trend setter and model of potentials. Over many seasons, David wins this year with what the rest of us will be using the next year. It's this leading edge type of advancement that led to the products you'll find listed on this web site.

The underlying essence behind Superior Shooting Systems Inc. developments is the continued advancement of the "human factor" in the shooting sports. The majority of equipment enhancements contained here were designed to help the shooter fire a higher score and gain more enjoyment and satisfaction from his shooting experience, whether that score is on a target on in the field.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
He actually holds the record right now at 1607 yards for the longest offhand shot. He hit an 8x8inch steel plate from the parking lot of the club where he shoots.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
spade said:
He actually holds the record right now at 1607 yards for the longest offhand shot. He hit an 8x8inch steel plate from the parking lot of the club where he shoots.
What power scope?

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
spade said:
What power scope?

BC
Haven't the slightest. Read it on one of the benchrest forums. He admitted himself it was luck

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
spade said:
What power scope?

BC
Who said he used a scope?.... Just kidding, I didn't hear that but am not surprised. I believe he has done some 1000 yd shooting with iron sights. The intresting thing is his trigger control and breathing are similar to how my father taught me to shoot when I was a kid. Besides my father I have only heard of that type of breathing/trigger control in two other places, an article in precision shooting a few years ago and Tubbs book on how to shoot. I actually shoot better with that method than the standard method off hand or kneeling, but it takes lots of practice and is harder to learn. When shooting off a bag in say a benchrest competition the standard method works better for me. All in all not a guy you want shooting at you at any range.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I myself do 1,000 yard iron sight shooting... i manage around .95 - 1.2 MOA 5 shot groups with my custom made AR-15... here is the link to the thread about the rifle. http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1535 I dont imagine he was using iron sights at 1,600 some odd yards... and actually hitting an 8X8 inch steel plate...

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
II dont imagine he was using iron sights at 1,600 some odd yards... and actually hitting an 8X8 inch steel plate...

BC
I don't either, I was just kidding.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
He's got a feature in one of the magazines I like to read with good tips...Like how to sling up or as Ekaphoto mentioned, breathing cycles. I like him cause he can put some pretty technical stuff into an easy to understand format. The only thing I wasn't able to understand is one time I was reading about him canting his rifle on purpose lol. Wasn't sure what to make of it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzelblast,

What magazine is that. It would be worth a subscription just for his articles.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some one actually voted no... :? . I am curious as to why some one would think a canting bubbler would not be useful... :?:

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I have not voted, but I can provide a couple of reasons why not.

If you mount the bubble in front of your elevation knob (to make it easy to see) then you cannot see the indexes on your knob when laying in the prone. Knowing where your elevation is set is far more critical than cant. (you can generally always guess your cant fairly close). Now, if you decide you need to mount the thing behind your elevation knobs, because you need to see your knobs, well, then you can't see the bubble because its blocked by the large knobs we tend to use on our tactical scopes.

Also, the color of the liquid is not very tactical, plus its another shinny thing to glint in the sun, and finally, it has enough sharp corners to catch on things (like your ghillie) while in use.

Cant is best avoided, but in my personal opinion, the benefits of this particular device do not out-wiegh the negatives....

hum, perhaps I should place my vote now
:D

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I guess it all depends on the scope... i have one on my Leupold MK4 VX-III 3.5-10X40mm M-1 LR... the M-1 knobs are visible above the cant bubble. As far as it being another shiney object... yea i can see where that comes into play. But... you could cover glass where you need to see with some tape and then spray paint the rest of the glass black... thats what i have done. Also... there is a company (i forget who it is for the life of me) who makes canting bubbler's with black dye in the water with a dull finished plastic tube (helps reduce glare / shine). All depends on the scope and the angle in wich you look at the knobs when in the shooting position.

End result being... it would work great for some scopes... and not work to well for other scopes. (same goes for individual people)

Theres my 5 cents... (since i almost always put more than my 2 cents worth in)

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
SA used to put the bubbles inside their scopes... visible while looking through your scope, I thought this was the best application of a anti-cant device. The optics were not the greatest, but this was a clever idea.

MEL

1 - 20 of 57 Posts