Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to the forum, looks like you guys have a wealth of knowledge relating to sharpshooting. :)

I recently purchased a Mossberg ATR in .30-06 and slapped-on a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope with the intention of using it for deer hunting.

However... the last few times I went hunting I didn't see a single deer, so I resorted to shooting a few "zombie targets" at 400+ yards to see what distances the rifle and I were capable of. I was instantly hooked!!! :D

Video here:

Question: When I started taking shots about 100 yards further than what is shown in the video, I noticed my shots were very inconsistent and started to miss by as much as 3-4 feet. My ol' Marine Corp buddy noted it was likely due to the ammo I was using. Is there anything I can do about this, or am I limited to about 500 yards with my .30-06?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Andy

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
06 is a very capable round out to and maybe past 1000. The mossberg rifle is a good hunting rifle, but it is probably not going to be a great long range precision rifle. The light barrel will heat up quickly, and if it is not free floated, then that could explain the inconsistencies. If you want to see what you and the rifle are capable of, try a box of 175gr federal gold medal match. Shoot off of a sand bag and use a rear bag. Allow a couple of minutes between shots. Also, 500 yards can be tricky using holdovers without a marked reticle. It might be easier if you rezero for 500 yards. If you reload, you can Taylor the load to the gun, but the best you will get is probably around 2 moa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ddd oo7 said:
06 is a very capable round out to and maybe past 1000. The mossberg rifle is a good hunting rifle, but it is probably not going to be a great long range precision rifle. The light barrel will heat up quickly, and if it is not free floated, then that could explain the inconsistencies. If you want to see what you and the rifle are capable of, try a box of 175gr federal gold medal match. Shoot off of a sand bag and use a rear bag. Allow a couple of minutes between shots. Also, 500 yards can be tricky using holdovers without a marked reticle. It might be easier if you rezero for 500 yards. If you reload, you can Taylor the load to the gun, but the best you will get is probably around 2 moa.
Thanks for the tip. :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
DDD 007 has provided some great pointers and I agree. The -06 is a great round and with the right rifle and ammo is a very capable long range sniping round. Start to work with it and enjoy it, it will reward you

MEL

·
Registered
621 Posts
^ What they said. My '06 is my absolute favorite to shoot. I keep it zeroed at the range I expect to shoot it at (300 for me :( ), and it makes things easier than holding over all the time. If you're sensitive to the recoil, practice with a bolt-action 22 as well to eliminate flinch, and cheapen your practicing - I keep the same scope on my Savage Mk II (22) as I do on my '06, so it's as comparable as possible. I shoot the 22 a lot more than I do the '06, for a lot of reasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 30'06 is a great caliber, over the years it has won many LR competitions and was a favorite of the military. Depending on how far you want to go, you can load your own ammo & work up a load that your rifle shoots best, this will improve your groups. You might consider putting a scope mounted level on your rifle if you're going to be shooting LR, but getting a consistent spot-weld and practicing trigger squeeze to get to know your rifle will go a long way along with many rds down range under different conditions. I built up a LR rifle using a 1903 Springfield barrel & receiver mounted to a B&C stock and it still keeps a 6" group at 900 yards. Have fun what ever you do, that's what this is all about!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I too am a newcomer here.

I love the 30/06 round and have been shooting it in a "mature" 1903 A3 for years. All the suggestions about lighter barrels heating up and causing erratic shots are spot on. I usually get about 5 before the shots start to wander (sporterized barrel).

Some things to consider when shooting beyond normal hunting distances.

1. Even the smallest movement of the rifle during the firing process will result in large variations in point of impact. Errors at 500 yards are 5 times that of an error at 100 yards.

2. If you don't have a Mil-Dot or MOA reticle (or other marks) the best way to "nail those long targets is to create a cheat sheet (dope) for your rifle/scope/ammo. Start with the known speed of the bullet (from the box if factory), the BC of the bullet, and then go to a site like JBM ballistics or for that matter Hornady. The trajectory table will then give you the amount of elevation you will need to adjust your scope for as you change from your zero distance. A couple of range trips, shooting at multiple known distances will help you adjust according to the characteristics of Your rifle.

3. A good bipod is an asset when shooting longer ranges. Bags too but packing a couple of bags along on a hike isn't much fun. Just carry one for the rear. If you have a liberal budget, consider the Sinclair Tactical Bipod and an AccuShot Monopod for the rear. I have both and they work great. The Sinclair bipod dropped a full 1/2" off my average groups at 300 yards (longest range I have had so far to compare) over the previously used Harris 'pods. Much more rigid and stable.

4. There's nothing like patience for good marksmanship at long ranges. Just remember my #1 comment. Small errors at the rifle make for big errors down range. Steady hold from a solid (and comfortable) position, with proper breathing, go a long way to hitting those far off "Zombies".

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Position.

Sight Alignment.

Trigger control.

Followthrough.

(in that order.) :wink:

-Nate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.