Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded up twenty of my .308 rounds in Hornady once fired cases.
The primers don't seat flush of below the base of the cartridge case unless i apply a ridiculous amount of pressure.
The brass is clean as a whistle, pockets clean, and Winchester primers go in flush no problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What are you using to seat the primer. Have you tried a different brand as well. Is that brass from factory ammo? Is the pocket crimped

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brand new Nosler Brass. No crimp. Never fired.
Used a RCBS Rock Chuck Supreme and i had to really put some pressure on them.
Slightly easier if I use my Dillon 550 to seat them but still very tight.
Winchester primers go in much easier.
Winchester primers go into the Lapua cases like butter.
9-1/2's go into Lapua cases like butter but take extra force to get them below flush with the case head.
It's almost like the 9-1/2 primers are too thick by several thousanths.

Maybe once fired they will go easier. I know the relationship with the case head does change very slightly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your first post said Hornady. I would measure them to see how out of compliance they are. Most likely out of spec. Can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the first try was some once fired Hornady cases.
If primers weren't made of gold now I would just not use them.
better days are coming.
Maybe they will come down under 100 bucks a 1000 someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
primer pocket swage time? Don't be afraid to swage that primer pocket, just because it isn't staked doesn't mean the pocket receives no benefit. A resize-size-check, kind-a-thang. Both brass and primers are too hard to get now-a-days so don't scrap em, resize em, can't do much about the primer diameter, so swage that pocket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts