Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am an avid gun owner, I am by no means a gunsmith or professional finisher. This was, in fact, my first attempt at coating a firearm and I was looking for a durable coating that would be relatively simple to apply to my Remington 700 SPS-V. After I finished the project, I decided to write about the process, because I found very limited material on the Web about Duracoat, other than what the manufacturer’s site gave. I wanted to give more information on some of the problems and situations I encountered and pass it on to others who might be in the same situation. This is intended to address the basics on Duracoating a firearm and is for anyone wanting to attempt it for the first time, but thought it beyond their skill level. It will list the products Duacoat offers and define what each one is for. (Unfortunately, while the photo’s clarity turned is good, they don’t seem to show the true color of the coating.)

This is the standard camo pack.

First off, Duracoat is NOT paint; it is a two part chemical system consisting of a color and a hardener and uses a chemical reaction to dry. It will dry overnight so the firearm can be reassembled for use the next day and will fully cure in 3-4 weeks. Although I don’t know what the chemical base component is, it is interesting to note that the directions warn of a reaction occurring with silicon, including an unopened tube of silicone caulk. With the proper prepping, Duracoat can be applied to just about any surface, including wood, metal and plastics. It will sustain barrel temperatures of 500-600 degrees Fahrenheit. Duracoat cannot be brushed on, but is applied with an airbrush, HVLP sprayer or Duracoat’s Preval aerosol sprayer. Duracoat has also put together airbrush kits that range from the starter package for $24.95 to their Level 4 for $369.95. Take a look at this website for additional information. Its lists color options, a multitude of camo patterns, FAQ’s, information and guidelines. www.houtsenterprises.net

DURACOAT COLORS/CAMO KITS: Duracoat offers a MASSIVE array of colors that can be mixed with one another to create any color in the spectrum. A 4oz bottle is said to coat 1-2 rifles, but 4oz, 8oz, 16oz, 32oz, and 128oz sizes are available. Camouflage kits are pre-packaged into 36 color options. Depending on the pattern, the kits include several colors, hardener, camouflage templates and an instructional DVD. Everything in the kits can be purchased separately. The templates give solid edges between each color and are applied in stages. Again, refer to the website for colors and patterns.

DURACOAT ADDATIVES: Duracoat offers many additives for various applications.

DuraHeat: This is recommended in place of Duracoat for high heat applications beyond 500-600 degrees, as you might find with full auto firearms. It is a ceramic based coating and will sustain temps of up to 1800 degrees. Application and dry times are the same as Duracoat, but full cure is achieved in 5 days. At this time, however, you are limited to seven colors.

Duraflex: This adds “elasticâ€

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think this certainly deserves a sticky.

Great job, great instruction. I will certainly be following it when I coat my rifle !

Thank you for the time and effort you put forth to give us this awesome instruction !

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think this certainly deserves a sticky.

Great job, great instruction. I will certainly be following it when I coat my rifle !

Thank you for the time and effort you put forth to give us this awesome instruction !
+1

Excellent write up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kudos. :oops: I hope it's imformative enough. It's really ironic that the write up took longer to do than the actual project. :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
thats a very nice camo job on the rifle. I asked that mine be painted the ultra flat tactical dark earth color from duracoat...i think ill leave base and rings and scope black for time being.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sniper308 said:
thats a very nice camo job on the rifle. I asked that mine be painted the ultra flat tactical dark earth color from duracoat...i think ill leave base and rings and scope black for time being.
Great color choice. Any camo options in the future? I'm want to coat another firearm. I think my AR will be my next victim. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks

Thanks for all the info i just did this one

·
Registered
341 Posts
I see he put a ear plug in the end of the barrel, but when I coat mine should I also tape off the whole crown too? My thing is will the duracoat crack or chip off the crown of the barrel if it is on there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
my remington 700 + the boredom of nightshift = snakeskin

This is not a true reflection of color due to the led flash on my phone. The part that appears white /grey is actually matte tan[/img]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Timmzx, did you use the duraflex on the scope? If not did the turrets seem to rotate as before or did they get a little sticky?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Several questions:

DuraCoat has something they call Shake n' Spray (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DCSNSPR1&storeid=1&image=shaknspray.gif). This looks far to easy to be true. Anyone try it?

My major concern with any kind painting/coating system is evenness of application. Having painted more than a few things, I know that paint runs and pools and clumps and glops. This looks like a great way to ruin a gun if you don't know what you are doing.

How thin is a DuraCoat finish? IOW, I often see pictures of guns where the bolt has been coated but won't that cause some binding?

Outside of the trigger assembly and the chamber, what areas should not be coated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I'm with Murph, but I'm confused. Did data get corrupted for some, but not others? He and I seem to not see it all, but the poster before me seems to have had access to it all?

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts