Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love reloading for different firearms.

Anyhow, I was asked about loading for an AR-15. I decided to first load some dummy rounds to ensure that live rounds would feed properly.

My dummy rounds fed perfectly except through one magazine. The rounds would constantly jam on the feed ramp of the barrel extension. The bullets would jam all the way into the case and were one to fire a round in such condition, a kaboom would likely result.

So, there are a number of morals to the story:

1. If you reload for the AR-15, it might be a good idea to use cannelured bullets and to crimp those bullets in place.

2. If you have an AR-15 check the magazine. Even a brand new GI magazine can be faulty. The magazine in question here was a General Stamping made in 1995 at Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. This magazine sat too low in the receiver and the rounds all jammed into the barrel extension. This is a genuine GI magazine.

3. If you cannot create dummy rounds, you can buy action dummies cheaply from Brownell's. Never check your magazine and rifle using live rounds. Check first with dummies, and if the magazines pass the test, then test them again at the range with live ammo.

4. Never go in harm's way with an untested magazine.

5. After testing magazines, mark them. Use a dot of nail polish on the floorplate. Do so unless you are

Mad.

By the way: Here is my AR-15 load: 55 grain Hornady softpoint, Remington brass, Winchester small rifle primer, 24.8 grains of Hodgdon Benchmark powder. Bullet is crimped into case neck at the cannelure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wise words. I had similar learnings on an M1 Carbine that had some less than satisfactory mags. Kept the good ones and gun runs faultless now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep, this is why the special forces guys went from the MK-262 Mod 0 ammo to the MK-262 Mod 1 ammo. The mod 1 ammo uses a cannelured 77gr bullet as apposed to the Mod 0 ammo that was a 75gr non cannelured bullet.

The Rifleman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts