Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking to buy an Ar10 in .308.I dont wanna spend a real lot of moneylike prolly a thosand is what im willig to pay. I want good clean lookds and realiability.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Bushmaster makes one.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Rec:Man, I'm on crack today. Confused
Thats cute...trying to pretend that this not how you are everyday... :p

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The cheapest 308 AR variant is the DPMS. Their MSRP is right over $1k for most of their versions. Just so you know, 308 AR style rifles differ from AR15 style in that there is not much interchangeability between parts if you cross manufacturers.

Well, I know this is true with AR10's and DPMS 308s. I don't know much of anything about the Bushmaster 308's. I have read there were some problems with some part failures once you start getting over the 1k round mark, but as far as part compatibility I know nada. None of them even use the same mags. AR10's use modified M14 mags, bushmaster uses FAL mags, and DPMS mags are the same as SR25's.

DPMS might even have one of their "complete kits minus lower receiver" deals for the 308s that could potentially save you some cash if you wanted to build it yourself. They sell the lowers seperately so this isn't a problem. If you want to build your own AR10, then you have to go the used lower receiver route, or pick up an 80% lower from KT Ordnance and buy the rest of the parts from here and there. In all likelyhood, building your own AR10 definitely won't be cheaper than buying a complete gun(or a kit) from DPMS.

Hopefully this helped more than confused, but ask away if you have any other questions.

John

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
AR-10s are made by:
Bushmaster - MSRP around $1700
Armalite- MSRP around $1500 for thier standard model i think thier top end match grade rifle is $2100-ish
DPMS - MSRP around $1150 for a match grade model... might be able to find that under $1000... there are plenty of shops who sell particular models a bit under the suggested retail price

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, and they will also go out of thier way to order you the same rifle with upgrades, match trigger, teflon barrel, etc. I bought one for a family member.

You guys can get a better deal on any of those rifles if you a) are a dealer or b) know a dealer or c) know a dealer that doesnt try to make his money on rifle sales, but makes money off ammo and accessories.

I always call about 5 different shops around here to get good prices, and they know better than to "Accidentally mis-quote me" on the phone. I tell them so! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Armalite produces more affordable AR-10's under the name "Eagle Arms"...I wouldn't know about the quality though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
AR-10s are made by:
Bushmaster - MSRP around $1700
Armalite- MSRP around $1500 for thier standard model i think thier top end match grade rifle is $2100-ish
DPMS - MSRP around $1150 for a match grade model... might be able to find that under $1000... there are plenty of shops who sell particular models a bit under the suggested retail price
Technically Armalite is the only company that makes an "AR10". That is a trademarked name. There are other AR style 308 variants out there, but as stated earlier, there is not much overlap in parts between the different companies. So you can't mix and match like you can with AR15's. There is of course the SR25 as well, but it costs about $1k to even download pictures of that rifle.

John

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
There is of course the SR25 as well, but it costs about $1k to even download pictures of that rifle.
:p

that is hilarious
:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny too, until I saved a picture and my invoice just came in.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny too, until I saved a picture and my invoice just came in.
:lol: I'll be honest, that one almost put me on the floor.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
+1 DPMS!!!!!!

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts