Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this may be a common question, but why does the Marines have a edge over the Army in Sniping. Do they train their Snipers better, is it equipment? help me out.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
My understanding is it is a better training program and they intergrate their snipers bettr than the Army, but it is really the indivdule. While Carlos Hathcock got lots of attention and was an exellant sniper, a US Army sniper actually got more kills in vietnam than Hathcock. While it dees not mean he was better it does say something.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
both the usmc and army use very high quality remmington bolt action rifles army- M24sws usmc-M40A3----both come with a laupold scope (not sure what model) and theyre both very nice systems

dom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I would NOT think "Oh, good, it's a US Army sniper after me and not a USMC sniper!"

I guess I wouldn't ever have known he was after me at all :lol:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
I would NOT think "Oh, good, it's a US Army sniper after me and not a USMC sniper!"I guess I wouldn't ever have known he was after me at all :lol:
Oh no!! theres a French Sniper after me!!oh well--hes probably too chicken to pull the trigger anyways :eek:
dom

·
Registered
347 Posts
as a french sniper all i have to say is Je ne suis aucun poulet. Je juste n'aime pas protéger des choses. L'Amérique fait un meilleur travail.

translation "I am no chicken. I just do not protecting things. America does a better job."

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you ever find a surplus french sniper rifle buy it immedatly. It's a great deal, never fired and only dropped once.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You know, the French military are actually pretty good at what they do... Their basic training envolves unit marching with hands in the air and how to say "I surrender" in 7 different languages.

Their tanks have 6 gears...1-5 in reverse and number 6 forward...just incase of an attack from the rear.

-Brian Shields

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Just watch out for French Canadian snipers 8)

The motto of Canada's snipers: "Without Mercy, Sans Remorse"

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I spose thei FAMAS's have a 4 postition safety switch white bullet=safe
one red bullet= white flag shooter..... blue bullet=blanks redwhiteandbluebullet= radio to base camp for evac :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
JC, who sings that song that your quote is from? I remember hearing the song and liking it but can't remember what it's called or anything.

-Brian Shields

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ah yes, time for another friendly reminder that while friendly jabbing is okay, keep any insults of others, foriegn or domestic, from making it to the forums.

Going back to the original question. The individuals snipers are/can be very equivilent, where the USMC has the advantage is the better acceptance and incorporation of snipers at all levels. The US Army has been very poor in the full use and incorporation of snipers. Some commanders are great, most are poor. It is slowly getting better, especially as they have seen the usefulness and need for them in Iraq.

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
BTW, earlier someone said they both have leupold's. That is not correct the USMC uses a USO manufacture Unertl which is also an excellent scope

·
Registered
365 Posts
dead_I_5_0 said:
JC, who sings that song that your quote is from? I remember hearing the song and liking it but can't remember what it's called or anything.

-Brian Shields
Welcome to My Life-Simple Plan
Very good lyricaly, musicaly superb. Love the song for the lyrics, I can so relate. This band is more teen angist

HIt me up on PM if u want more songs I perfer from them.

Notice now that I changed my quote. Its One Day-Simple Plan. Heh

·
Registered
216 Posts
ekaphoto said:
My understanding is it is a better training program and they intergrate their snipers bettr than the Army, but it is really the indivdule. While Carlos Hathcock got lots of attention and was an exellant sniper, a US Army sniper actually got more kills in vietnam than Hathcock. While it dees not mean he was better it does say something.
The Army sniper was SFC Adelbert F. Waldron III. Bert Waldron was a 9th Infantry Division sniper and operated in the Mekong Delta area. Waldron had 109 confirmed kills, the longest I've heard off was at "over 900 meters," according to 9th Division commander MG Julian Ewell. Waldron was shooting from a slow moving barge in the Mekong River at a VC onshore in a tree for this one. This was not the way he operated exclusively, but most 9th Division snipers were detailed to accompany riverine patrols periodically.

Waldron also made 9 of his kills in one night from the same hide site. He was shooting a suppressed M-14 with a starlight scope at ranges averaging 400 meters, according to a 9th Divison after action report quoted in "Stalk and Kill" by Adrian Gilbert.

I've never found anything to suggest that Waldron has the numerous "probables" that Mawhinney and Hathcock have, so in all probability both of them far exceed Waldron in actual kills.

A couple of impressive things about Waldron though. I don't thnk he served all that long as a sniper. "Inside the Crosshairs" by Michael Lee Lanning says that Waldron had 92 confirmed kills in the first five months of 9th Divison sniper employment. The 9th Divison started training snipers in November of 1968 and the division started to withdraw from Vietman in mid to late 1969, so Waldron might have been employed as a sniper for something like six months, give or take a little.

Another thing to consider. There is an Adelbert F. Waldron III buried in the Riverside Cemetary in Riverside, CA. The dates listed are b. March 14, 1933 d. December 18, 1995. If this is the same man, and it seems likely that it is, then Waldron was 36 years old during the peak of his effectivness.

While it does not mean he was better it does say something.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
skirmishline said:
[. If this is the same man, and it seems likely that it is, then Waldron was 36 years old during the peak of his effectivness.

While it does not mean he was better it does say something.
Thanks for the info. I really believe that being 36 is a real advantage for a sniper over one that is 18. I can see this now that I am a little over 18. :roll: In fact for the type of conflict we are currently in in Iraq I really believe the older guys have a real advantage since it isn't about fighting hard but fighting smart. In fact one reason special operations is so effective is they are made up of people that are older relativly speaking.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You just keep telling yourself that, Eka. I'll probably say the same when I am ancient too :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts