Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but I think ranging in sfp is alot more complex, usually they are only able to do so at a specific magnification( i think most are set for max magnification for ranging)and if it does it at all magnification it either takes alot of math or a chart that gives the units at each magnification?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
that is exactly why I don’t care for SFP.

·
Registered
686 Posts
that is exactly why I don’t care for SFP.
Yeah, once you turned me on to FFP I dont care for SFP anymore.. i still have a couple sfp that are good scopes but wouldn't buy anymore sfp. The range officer you met at atterbury when we went shooting said no one in prs or LD used FFP but from what im reading they are starting to swing to FFP

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah, once you turned me on to FFP I dont care for SFP anymore.. i still have a couple sfp that are good scopes but wouldn't buy anymore sfp. The range officer you met at atterbury when we went shooting said no one in prs or LD used FFP but from what im reading they are starting to swing to FFP

I don't know what to say about the RO at your range other than the fact that at my LD range while it was open, none of the shooters that I competed against had a SFP scope because of the fixed power required for any holdover reticle to be accurate. When shooting PRS you simply don't have the time to crank dope when you have to engage multiple targets and send 8-10 rounds down range in 90-120 seconds. The fixed power which was usually at the high end of the magnification power could be problematic if you are dealing with mirage. I noticed that if you cranked the magnification down just a tad, I could get a slightly better visual on the target. Well there's no doing that with a SFP if you were using your reticle for holdover..

For the known distance stages, most shooters would record the hold over for the various distances on a wrist band similar to what quarterbacks have on their wrists for plays. They would write that info with a grease pencil or they'd put masking tape on the wristband and write the holds on the tape with sharpie for each stage.

The reality is most medium sized game like dear etc. are taken inside 100 yds so you really don't need to practice using holdover until you get involved with something like PRS or you practice shooting at longer distances to hunt big game. The shortage of 1000yd or more ranges in my area dictates that few in my area may have reason to know the shortcoming of an SFP scope because they generally don't or cant shoot more than 100yds. These days I'm a homeless LD shooter as my range has not picked up the phone in the last 2 mos. and I'm not driving and hour and a half just for goofs and giggles to confirm what I suspect being that they're closed. Ugh

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't know what to say about the RO at your range other than the fact that at my LD range while it was open, none of the shooters that I competed against had a SFP scope because of the fixed power required for any holdover reticle to be accurate. When shooting PRS you simply don't have the time to crank dope when you have to engage multiple targets and send 8-10 rounds down range in 90-120 seconds. The fixed power which was usually at the high end of the magnification power could be problematic if you are dealing with mirage. I noticed that if you cranked the magnification down just a tad, I could get a slightly better visual on the target. Well there's no doing that with a SFP if you were using your reticle for holdover..

For the known distance stages, most shooters would record the hold over for the various distances on a wrist band similar to what quarterbacks have on their wrists for plays. They would write that info with a grease pencil or they'd put masking tape on the wristband and write the holds on the tape with sharpie for each stage.

The reality is most medium sized game like dear etc. are taken inside 100 yds so you really don't need to practice using holdover until you get involved with something like PRS or you practice shooting at longer distances to hunt big game. The shortage of 1000yd or more ranges in my area dictates that few in my area may have reason to know the shortcoming of an SFP scope because they generally don't or cant shoot more than 100yds. These days I'm a homeless LD shooter as my range has not picked up the phone in the last 2 mos. and I'm not driving and hour and a half just for goofs and giggles to confirm what I suspect being that they're closed. Ugh
I agree, after trying FFP i cant really see why you would want sfp.. i remember him saying it didn't matter for them because everything they were shooting was at x,y, and z distsnces so all you needed was knowing your scopes hold for that distance and most of them operated at max or near max magnification.. he is local and state champ in prs, MD and LD so I wasn't going to question his methods, obviously whatever he's doing works for him.
But i definitely agree with you, FFP is superior, i really cannot think of any way it isn't with maybe one exception and thats the reticle changing.size does equate to possible poa if your reticle is not etched fine enough

21 - 24 of 24 Posts