Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Was out hunting last week with sucsess, after two other try and not even seeing any, the third time the charm. First to time saw every animal out there except the Bision I was looking for. This time found after glassing for 15 min we spotted 10 about 1.5-1.7Km away, out in the middle of an open snow coverd grass area. It was time, got on my snow whites and started the hike down to them. Got in to within 100yds and still undetected by the large beasts, raising my rifle and firing one well placed shot the bision when down in an instance. I was using a 300WSM with 180gr power points, very happy with the results and will use it on next falls moose hunt to. I so happy about my sucsess I just had to share.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Congradulations! That should fill the freezer.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, way to go, buffalo tastes great too...300 mag has plenty of power, I think you'll always be right on with it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Next time you go out for buff, take my 45-70 with a good old lead cast and black powder load for history's sake...wish I could :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a marlin 1893 in 45-70 and the first two time I went I had it along but the last time I left it at home, would of be nestelgic to shoot it with 45-70, mybe get another chance in 5 year when I can reapply for permit with luck.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have the Marlin Guide gun, a real fun rifle to shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, thats what I have too. Just as accurate as a bolt gun, ain't it?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Yes, very accurate. I read an article in a mag a few years ago. This guy bought a lever action 30-30, pulled it apart and accurized it. Long story short he said people don't expect very good accuracy from lever actions, so the gun companies don't build them to the same standards as a bolt gun. he got his shooting MOA I believe. He basically said the gun companies were screwing the public when it comes to lever actions and they could be just as accurat as a bolt gun off the shelf if the mfgrs would build them to the same tolarance of bolt actions.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Pics, didn't have the camera along. Have one pic of head after I got it home, still in camera. It was no record but still the same it rare to get the chance to hunt them and this one will taste good. Next week I'll becutting it up, lots of meat there.
Cliffy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great stuff, Cliffy...I'd like to see the picture of the head. How much do you think it weighed?

Ekaphoto, nice Guide gun...I like the peep sight. I had mine shooting 2 moa with irons and I suck, so I'm betting they can do better....Mine's gonna have a long eye relief scope on it though, soon enough.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Great stuff, Cliffy...I'd like to see the picture of the head. How much do you think it weighed?

Ekaphoto, nice Guide gun...I like the peep sight. I had mine shooting 2 moa with irons and I suck, so I'm betting they can do better....Mine's gonna have a long eye relief scope on it though, soon enough.

Don't beat your self up to much. The semi buckhorn site is semi useful. I couldn't get 2 moa with it until I put on the peep site. I prefer open to peep, but the stock one sucks. I get about 1 1/2 to 2, but I thik the rifle could do better. I havent shot it much since I bought it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, I hear you...some people really perfer that sight, but I don't. Thats a Williams sight on yours, ain't it? I thought about XS but I bought a scout mount instead...just collecting extra cash for a 2.5x28 right now....Really cool to hear yours is as accurate....Love that little rifle.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Yeah, I hear you...some people really perfer that sight, but I don't. Thats a Williams sight on yours, ain't it?

Yes, a williams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts