Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You were vague. Sure, all of us know how to look at your profile...but that shouldn't really matter. If NorCalFocus was to ask a question like your original post I wouldn't think twice about it, I know he's not looking to go sit on a random ridge and shoot up a local school 800 yds away...that comfort that I have comes from talking with him over the passed 3+ yrs...

You, on the other hand, are brand new...asking for advice on how to "act like a sniper" throws a lot of red flags...in fact, if people here wouldn't have already stone-walled your questions I would be inclined to forward your post and IP address to your local authorities (yes I can see what "local" is for you)...we know nothing about you, we have no idea what your intentions are, and we aren't going to simply assume it's innocent. You want a sniper team, join the Army and go to sniper school...you want to learn to target shoot for an upcoming match or to better hone your skills, ask away.
so if you to where to refer to me with no credibility I could infer the same with you people but yet here we are. So to say that i am so vague that i have no specific intentions (which i stated in my original post I.E target shooting) i could say that all of you people questioning me could have the same credibility as I. So by threatening me and comparing me to a school shooter my just be saying something to me that I am just a push over in the community and would just like help or recommendations to the question i was asking. which is if you where confused gear recommendations for backpacking and long range shooting combined.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Your original post did not mention target shooting but instead used situations and language that implied more than paper or animals was the intended target. After I asked about the targets your statement implied that human targets might be possible...but you apparently changed your post after the fact. I should have quoted you so it would have been there for everyone to see. So don't act like your original posts were as innocent as you would have everyone to believe. Your original posts were suspicious to the point that no one with common sense would have helped you whether it be on the forums or in person unless they really knew you...and maybe not even then. Would you pop into a local gun shop and start asking advice about how to snipe people? You would probably get the same response (if not more proactive) than you are receiving here.

As for the credibility of the members here and whether you can trust us or not... I could care less if you trust me...or any other member here. However your trust (or lack thereof) for us is not going to sway me to trust you any more than I previously did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also implying that i was mentioned that SHTF was not a welcomed topic that was mentioned to me later on in the comments...but however continue. because i did apologize that if that statement was not welcomed in a preppers standpoint and was not welcomed on the forum.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Just make sure you watch out for the bears. They move quicker than you can draw. Believe me when I say this.
Lol!

I'm not sticking up for Orkan, lord knows he doesn't need my help with that.
DOUBLE lol!

I'd like it if everybody'd just relax a little. There are some valid points here about who's being a horse's ass, how, and in what quantity, but did you die?

u.bugme...if you want to know these things, you could probably just sit and do searches for everything you want to know, and you'd find most of it.

As for shooters, look at this: New Mexico Shooting Sports Association Find the closest club, give a call when there's going to be a match or shoot, and go to help out with running the thing (even if it's just hauling targets around and running coffee duty). Hang out, be friendly, and ask about attending the next one. THAT is how to start finding shooting buddies...or at least one way.

And if you are anywhere near here: Capitan Hi Power Shooting Club,Inc., NRA Rifle Pistol Target Recreational Sport Outdoors Range Capitan, New Mexico Home Page www.capitanhipower.com

...you should attend and be educated.

-Nate

Reactions: u.bugme

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lol!

DOUBLE lol!

I'd like it if everybody'd just relax a little. There are some valid points here about who's being a horse's ass, how, and in what quantity, but did you die?

u.bugme...if you want to know these things, you could probably just sit and do searches for everything you want to know, and you'd find most of it.

As for shooters, look at this: New Mexico Shooting Sports Association Find the closest club, give a call when there's going to be a match or shoot, and go to help out with running the thing (even if it's just hauling targets around and running coffee duty). Hang out, be friendly, and ask about attending the next one. THAT is how to start finding shooting buddies...or at least one way.

And if you are anywhere near here: Capitan Hi Power Shooting Club,Inc., NRA Rifle Pistol Target Recreational Sport Outdoors Range Capitan, New Mexico Home Page www.capitanhipower.com

...you should attend and be educated.

-Nate
oh my gosh thank you this is all that ive been asking beyond trying to defend myself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ubugme.... I didn't see your un edited post about what the intended targets were, but I saw the quoted text that Okran posted. I can see where people who have more experience would be rolling their eyes at that. It does get quite tiring to see young whippersnappers tying to act all tough and stuff on the internet these days. Don't get me wrong... Way back when I was 17 if I had access to this crazy thing we call the Internet, I'd probably be as much of a mall ninja as I possibly could. Chicks dig it right?

But take this as a learning experience and try to tone it down when you join a firearm forum. For that matter... Any forum, guns, hunting, hot rods, off roading, camping, underwater basket weaving... whatever your interests. Just know that there will be a lot of people, with a lot more time and experience on those forums, and if you came there to learn, do as much as you can to NOT be a show off and gain the respect of the people on those forums.

When I see a newbie asking legitimate questions, in a way that tells me "this guy is a noob" and is politely looking for help without sounding cocky... I'm glad to offer help whatever help I can, most people are. It makes me feel good that I can share my knowledge. Now me, I'm still fairly new to PRS, I started about 5 years ago and have less that 1000 rounds down my ONE long range rifle. I've learned a lot here, and on other forums, and have tons more to learn, but I try to ask questions in a way that the more experienced people on here won't think I'm trying to be a cocky, prepper, sniper wannabe, because I want to learn as much as I can from the people on here. I learned that attitude because I'm 46 years old and have been on a lot of forums. You'll learn it too.

That being said... Keep in mind that there will be people like Okran who can come off as very rude sometimes. (Sorry Okran, but let's face it... You, yourself... sometimes sound like a pompous, cocky, know it all....) But I know from his posts, videos, and even the tiniest bit of research... that this guy knows his ****, and I want to learn as much as I can about shooting from him. So I will treat him, and everyone else on here with as much respect as I can, because if I'm rude... I ain't learning anything.
On EVERY forum, there's gotta be at least one guy that's super experienced, but somewhat cocky, sometimes old and retired, usually grumpy... But you respect him because he knows what he's talking about.

You're 17 years old, I was too once, we all were. Take this as a learning moment.

By the way, what you described in your first post sounds pretty cool, and I'd love to be able to have an area large and remote enough near me that I could do that. Good luck and post pics if you figure it out.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I just looked at his profile description as he said we should:

Biography:
I am a 17 year old long range shooter.
That jumped out at me more than the rest. I'm thinking we got us a generational gap here. When I was 17, I didn't think anyone owed me anything. The world was mine to take, or leave, as I saw fit. How hard I was willing to work and whether I was a man of my word was the only thing that mattered. Kids these days are on a different wavelength, and it usually isn't my wavelength.

The best advice I can give you young man is to stay out of debt. ;)

As for my own experience... my exploits are published far and wide, and are not hard to find. Want to know who I am? Here's who I am.

Also... here's a tip for you. First rule of defending yourself: Don't try to defend and indefensible position. It's as true in battle as it is here on the forums.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
On the budget end of packs, I'd take a hard look at eberlestock. They've got some great solutions for packing a rifle and lots of associated kit.

I'll let someone else help you with the "survival" aspect of the kit, as I don't consider myself an authority on that. If you have specific questions about the shooting aspect of your kit, I'll be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well i have had the gunslinger pack from them and had noticed some wierd gear distrabution points in the pack. In my case the rifle because of the scope would be slightly off center and would f my back up after a few miles of leaning on one leg ever so slightly but that was my experince with it i would be happy to hear yours?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I run a lodrag. Tons of miles logged and no comfort problems to report. Shifting weight in the pack is as simple as re-organizing. I run a tripod in a side scabbard so I can stack weight on one side or the other or pull a strap on one side or the other to offset things easily enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Ok cool ive switched over to a kelty falcon 4000 and just thrown the rifle on a sling to change sides as i see fit.

Have you delt with the balistic coeficient of a 165 grain 7mm at around 3200ft per sec ish ive tryed calculateing it and it came about
.6 is that right to plug in to a bdc... just if you have an idea

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok cool ive switched over to a kelty falcon 4000 and just thrown the rifle on a sling to change sides as i see fit.

Have you delt with the balistic coeficient of a 7mm at around 3200ft per sec ish ive tryed calculateing it and it came about
.6 is that right to plug in to a bdc... just if you have an idea
Maybe I'm missing something here, but each bullet will have it's own individual BC. A 150gr matchking is going to have a completely different BC than a 160gr matchking...etc (made up bullets for examples.) A 150gr bullet of one brand will have a different BC than a 150gr of another brand.These are all published on the manufacturer's website, sometimes on the box and pretty much any online store will have it listed if you're buying just the bullets and not loaded ammo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For a 3-4 day op, you're over killing it on food and water. Carry enough food for your intended length of stay. If you're out there longer, you're not going to starve from missing a meal or two. That will save you a ton of weight, along with water. A 2-3 liter bladder will be plenty in your pack, carry a nalgene for a canteen and take a lightweight filter for refilling when necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new as well, but I have a little prior experience on packing for a multiple day outing. The first thing is a map. If you do not know the area like the back of your hand then get a map. Laminate it. If you can't get it done professionally then use clear packing tape. It works. Next, you have way too much food. Nine days of food is only going to wear you out. My go to is tuna. A bag a day. Especially since you can get it in a pouch now. Make sure it's packed in oil and not water. Yes the water is healthier, but you need the added calories if you're going to be mobile. Dried fruit. It'll give you some sugar and some fiber so that your new tuna diet don't clog you up. Salt!!!! If you're sweating your butt off and not eating much you will lose your electrolyte balance. Or, powdered Gatorade. Water water water. It weighs 8 pounds a gallon but it's necessary weight. Until you know your limits you need a half gallon a day. Can you get by with less? Of course you can, but learn your limits by over packing water instead of undertaking it. You can always pour it out. Or stage it somewhere. Skittles or such. You can pop a few in your mouth from time to time while walking to break the monotany. Remember though, whatever you eat requires water to help digest. Just eat what's required.

Not sure about your weather. If a sleeping bag isn't needed then it's not needed. Know your weather though. An ISO mat is required though. It's super light and prevents you losing your body heat to the ground while sleeping. I recommend a tarp though just in case. It can be a shelter or a sleeping bag.

The drop holster I recommend against. Just my opinion, but they will rub you raw if you aren't used to it. If you do use it get a cartridge belt to put it on. It's way more comfortable and prevents your pants being pulled down on that side. Plus you can wrap it around your pack if you get tired of it.

Super glue and a tourniquet. Major blood loss use the tourniquet. It'll slow your death down and possibly stop it. The super glue is for gluing smaller cuts up. It stings, but will prevent whatever desert organisms decide they want to live in your wound from getting in.

I'm sure I left out some stuff, but that's a start.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts