Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this rifle in a magazine that is an ar-10 converted into a 300wsm. One of the groups shot by the rifle measured 1 3/8 at 400yds with 175 grain handloads. It was shot on a day with poor conditions and was fired from a prone position. The 300wsm just happened to fit in the standard 308 magazine. Does anyone else know of any other high power semi rifles besides the 50s and 308s?

Heres the site: http://www.sskindustries.com/ar10.htm

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
AR-15 and AR-10 rifles have the potential to be VERY accurate, 1/4 - 1/2 MOA without any work on the rifle i have herd, my personal record for smallest group with an AR-15 or any rifle actually, was .34" 3 shot group @ 200y (.17 MOA), 2 shots through the exact same hole just about with a Bushmaster Varminter (5.56mm), Winchester 55gr ballistic silvertips, lucky group but the rifle is consistantly 1/2 MOA or atleast the one i was using does
now then i guess you dotn consider 5.56mm high powered, you mean over .308 so this is all i know about that:
i havent seen one in .300 WSM
i have herd of the DPMS Panther Long Range and Armalite AR-10T (i think) in .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
they take differnt magazines, post ban only so 10 rds.. could be wrong i never saw one

·
Registered
340 Posts
SSK Industries makes AR-10 style rifles in several of the Winchester Short Magnum and Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum calibers, and even of some of the calibers of their own design, like the .338 Whisper.

If you could find pre-ban Stoner SR-25 magazines or any other high-cap .308 magazines, you could have high capacity magazines for these rifles if you modify the magazine follower to compensate for the increased cartridge diameter. The feed lips might also need to be widened slightly with a file. Not sure on the legality of this, though...be careful.

And perhaps the best semi-auto big-caliber sniper rifle is the Walther WA2000 in .300 WM! Problem is , they aren't in production anymore (and would be extremely expensive, even if they were!)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
not sure about the legal stuff here
yea the WA2000 would be a nice rifle... under 36" long and has a 26" barrel
under 200 made (think in both .300 Win mag and .308 Win) so good luck finding one... dont know how expensive they are but id imagine a LOT
if ya want a high powered semi-auto your gonna have to look elsewhere

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
heh so another contender for a hard hitting sniper rifle if ya dont count the .50 cal and i guess you shouldnt as they are considerably larger than conventional sniper rifles
wonder how the accuracy would be though

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is a gunsmith that is converting M1As to fire .338 Win. This uses the standard M14 magazine but with a new follower and holding only 8 rounds. He also converts the M1 Carbine to fire .45 Win. mag. and the AR-15 to fire .50 Action Express!! I still have a write-up on him somewhere in my archives, but I'll have to dig for it. I'll post his name when I find it, but you may be able to find him doing a web search. I know he is providing weapons to police departments around the country, so maybe someone else reading this knows how to contact him. There was a magazine article about him titled "Paradigm Buster" or something similiar.

K2

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard of the .50 AE AR-15 rifles, seen one in real life, but that .338 WM M1A has me confused. How would that work? The .338 is quite a bit longer than the .308, so to make a conversion you would have to stretch the action and make the magazines longer. Now a Garand .338 conversion would be more probable, as the Garand action is already a long action, and with a bit of shoehorning you could probablyget a .338 shell into the mag. Or is this what you meant?

And the WA2000 was also available in Europe chambered for the French 7.5mm rifle round, the one they used in WWII.

jake

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i dont believe that an M14 is only in .308 but an M1A is offered in .308 and .30-06 which would be like the M1 Garand a .30-06 is longer so if the .338 Win mag is the same length as a .30-06 you might be able to fit them in

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jake S:

I'm about 95% positive that it was the M1A. Like I said, this guy's a paradigm buster! He breaks ALL the rules! Eugene Stoner himself told this guy that there was NO WAY he could get the M-16/AR-15 to chamber the .50AE, but he did anyway. I don't know what mods he makes, but I definitely remember that he is using the standard M14 20rd. mags with a modified follower to give 8rd. capacity with .338 Win. This would indicate the use of an M1A. Like I said, I'll look for the info and confirm this also.

K2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also consider the Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum. It has similar characteristics to the WSM, but I read that the case is a bit stronger, which is better for semi-autos. Armalite has the AR-10(T) Ultra and DPMS the .300 LR, at the very attactive price of $1250:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?Pro ... e=RFA2-300

Less than two weeks ago I bought a DPMS LR .308 with 24" barrel and Williams set trigger from Clark Custom Guns. Yesterday, with Federal Gold Match 168-gr ammo, shooting at 100-yd from the bipod (no bags), I shot several 3-round groups the largest of which was 0.81" and the smallest, as closely as I could measure, was 0.31". All three shots overlapped in several of the groups and were difficult to measure.

I can hardly wait until I get some time with it; then again, it may get boring.

Honestly, I am so enocuraged that I believe I will also buy the DPMS LR 300 Rem SAUM.

Enjoy and safe shooting!

Alex

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i did not see a price on the AR-10T Ultra but i know the AR-10T is $2080... dont see why the AR-10T Ultra would be any lower
as for the DPMS Long Range Panther Ultra that is a very attractive price
they must be kickers though
anyone know if they are selling?
i wouldnt mind one of those if a grizzly was pissed at me though heh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts