Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im after a single piece tapered base 20MOA and a set of rings to suit a Nikon Tactical 4-16X50. To a suit Rem 700 SA

Badger Ordnance or Leupold M4 Bases and rings :?:

Any thaughts :?:

Mulga :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I do not believe that leupold makes a 20MOA taper base, so that might make your decision easier. I like to use leupold, but badger makes nice stuff also.

MEL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have a Badger 20moa base on mine with Badger rings. Badgers rings are machined in serial numbered pairs so there is no need to worry about lapping them. Rock solid mount. Craftmanship is top notch. I would say that Badgers are the Ferrari of mounts. Got mine from http://www.premierreticles.com/ . They are a great group of people to deal with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get the Badger Rings for sure, but get a base that you would prefer. I highly reccomend the badgerord accessories. Still waiting for my Savage Accutrigger 20 moa base from badger... :cry:

·
Registered
522 Posts
MK4 vs Badger vs GG&G?

Mulga,

I use Badger Ordnance 30mm rings and a Mil-std-1913 Picatinny spec one pc base with a 20MOA forward cant for extended range and I can say that it is superb. I will have to agree with Nate and Murray and recommend Badger Ordnance if anything the rings, the base however...

If you by chance have seen or have handled the Leupold Mark 4 bases and rings you might have noticed that the bases have a rectangular cut about half way across to provide for more finger...reaching inside room. If you like this design then I might suggest GG&G. They make an similar designed base, almost exactly like Leupold's MK4 but with a 20 MOA cant. They also make a flat one, and the reason I mention the flat one is because I have discovered something that might be an isolated incident with a small lot of Leupold bases but I believe that it is a standard difference.

While at a shop I was considering MK4 1pc base but I discovered that MK4 bases do not accept Badger rings flush. They do fit, however they do not fit effortlessly flush as they do with the GG&G or badger base. The MK4 bases would need to be filed down a bit for proper fit. The lots of bases available at that store were all the same and only leads me to believe that Leupold designs their tactical bases specifically for their rings.

Now we can't really hold good ol' (Mel :) )Leupold responsible because they never claim that it is Mil STD 1913. Actually now that I think about it I don't believe GG&G claims that either but they DO fit flush. Interesting isn't it. What is more interesting is that MK4 rings do fit Badger and GG&G bases. Now, before anyone sends me angry emails, I'm not saying they wont fit, but MK4 bases have this extra lip that impedes proper solid contact. I'm just trying to warn fellow marksmen, snipers and shooters.

When you fit Badger rings on a GG&G base or a Badger base that problem does not exist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts