Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I did an absolutely hilarious bail hearing. But first the cast of characters.

The Defendant: No-good career criminal and brother of the proposed surety.

The Surety: Sweet-natured, respectable, God-fearing, Sunday-School teaching sister.

I put the sister up on the stand and I ask her a few questions about her brother's proposed bail.

ME: If this court should grant your brother bail, how will you enforce the bail?

SISTER: He will live with me and he will obey all of my rules at all times.

ME: What would your rules be?

SISTER: My rules would be, no drinking, no smoking, no swearing, no television, no phone calls, no stupid friends and he would have to come to church with me on Sundays.

ME: What would you do if he refused to go to church with you?

Now at this point, Sweet-natured sister points at her brother, and she says:

SISTER: You have a choice. It's up to you, now what do you want? Do you want Jesus or do you want the Devil? If you want the Devil, you can stay in jail. But if you want out of jail, you had better get to know Jesus.

The whole court room was silent. It was amazing. I didn't have anything else to say. Except sweet natured sister said it all when she asked her brother:

SISTER: So, what's it going to be? Do you want Jesus or the Devil?

And that's when no-good brother says: "I choose Jesus".

He was released. But the whole hearing was hilarious and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Religion did not play a part in the court's process. Religion had nothing to do with the man's release.

But religion played an important part in the surety's life. And the surety is free to impose additional rules upon the person on bail.

This surety's rules were that her brother had to come to church with her. This rule was not imposed by the court. But the surety can cancel the bail at any time and for any reason.

So this surety was simply letting her brother know that if he does not want to go to church that she will cancel his bail and he will go back to jail.

Hence the choice: "Do you want Jesus or the Devil?"

:wink:

Mad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.