Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. does anyone have an accurate chart showing the ballistics of a 150 gr remington core lokt showing the gun zeroed at 100 yds with info up to 600 yards??? just wondering if u guys had any links or anything

~dom~

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That and find a ballistics calculator to download somewhere. There's a link on the Remintgon page, its called Remington Shoot. If the tables on the page don't go up to 600 yards, its kinda cause the 150 grain core lokt ain't meant for that

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
its a hunting load and most hunters dont use that kind of stuff byond 300y
only long distance target shooters, competitors and snipers take thier rifles out that far and they generally use match ammo with a high bc for that kind of shooting or handloads with sky high ballistic coefficients and advanced ballistic software/calculators

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys....i did download remington shoot and the ranges go out to 1000+ yards thanks again

~dom~

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Remington Shoot! is a pretty cool program, enjoy!

The BCs of some hunting ammo are just as high as match as well, although as some people on the board pointed out, different companies figure BCs differently. Accubond is always really high though. Would work well in your 308 in a heavier weight than 150 grain

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I dont pay to much attention to the posted BC's of hunting bullets... they tend to be exagerated. There is a good thread in the Ballistics section of this forum about BC's and drag tables... ect ect.

A bullet must be messured on the correct Drag Table for the BC to be correct and true. Allthough... there is not any law stating what drag table each caliber must be tested on... so you get alot of really high BC's on bullets that in reality have low BC's. Bullet manufacturing companies tend to messure them on whatever drag table will suit there bullet the best... not which one its suppose to be messured on.

To help get around this BS curve... look at the drop in inchs a bullet in a particular caliber and bullet weight acheives and compare it to other bullets drop.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thanks for the explaination, BC.

I got curious, and decided to check out the Federal catalogue/calculator to compare their match rounds to their hunting rounds. Since this is federal's advertising, I hope they measured the BC the same way. It doesn't matter if the claims are inflated, as long as they were measured the same.

First off, I was wrong about the accubond and 308, I don't think anyone loads that. Here's some 30-06 figures first.

30-06 Springfield, 168 grain Gold Medal match.

Velocity:2700
ME: 2720
BC: .463
Drop at 1,000 Yards: -398.1
Drift at 1000 Yards in 10 MPH crosswind: 105.2

30-06 Springfield, 180 grain Nosler Accubond

Velocity: 2700
ME: 2914
BC: .518
Drop at 1,000 Yards: -366.0
Drift at 1000 Yards in 10 MPH crosswind: 90.3

Bear in mind, thats not a fair comparison because of the weight difference of the ammo...The deck is stacked in favor of the hunting round from the word go. Still though, thats great ballistics. It beats the 175 grain .308 GMM load by a good margin too.

The conditions for both rounds are a 24 inch barrel, 10 mph crosswind, zeroed at 100 yards, altitude 0 feet, temperature of 59 degrees F

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A 175gr SMK in a 30-06 @ 2,700 FPS would out perform the 180gr Nosler at the same velocity as far as BC and long range ballistics go. The 168's arnt all that great anyway... since you can safely get the 175's up to the same velocity as the 168's in the same caliber.

A 175gr SMK in a 30-06 should run around .525 to .530 BC (running numbers in my head @ 11:05 PM so i may be off slightly)

Now... what drag table Nosler messures there bullet's BC on.... who knows. What drag table does Sierra messure there SMK's BC on... i beleive its the G1 but im not possitive. Does Federal load these bullets into ammo and messure there own BC's... possibly but i highly doubt it.

Looking at bullet drop @ 500, 800, and 1000 yards is alot more effective for picking a long range bullet than reading the manufacturers BC rating... since quite a few manufacturers try to BS you about there BC's... Knowing the general or "average" drop of a good match grade bullet for a particular velocity, caliber, and bullet weight... you can judge other bullets by looking at there drop.

" Friends dont let friends shoot 168's " :wink:

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol yeah man, I hear ya...2:40 AM and I'm lazy, but if anyone feels like posting info on a 175 grain match load to compare to the Nosler load, go for it. I still think it will at least be a tie

Edit: The match will be more accurate because of the better components, and better control and uniformity in loading. But a 175 grain round is still not going to do as well as a similar 180 grain round at the same speed. It'll do better at long range and buck the wind more efficiently than the 175. I do understand what you mean about the companies listing different BC's, and your opinion is valid, but figures are better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts