Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv seen these episodes many many times when it came out. Im woundering, why isn't there a Springfield 03' in any of the episodes? Was it that the 506 PIR didn't have that? Just curious here. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yes, thats probably a good reason why. Snipers are a very rare breed, even more so for the USA during that operation of WWII.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I read the book and it touches on it a little in the movie. There was one guy who they depended on when the shot counted. While he wasn't a trained sniper, he was an exellant shot, thus he was their unoffical designated marksman. I remember in the show he was humble and told the others he wasnt a good shot. His dad, now he was a good shot. Like Sgt. York this guy grew up hunting for dinner if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
ekaphoto said:
I read the book and it touches on it a little in the movie. There was one guy who they depended on when the shot counted. While he wasn't a trained sniper, he was an exellant shot, thus he was their unoffical designated marksman. I remember in the show he was humble and told the others he wasnt a good shot. His dad, now he was a good shot. Like Sgt. York this guy grew up hunting for dinner if I remember correctly.
You're reffering to Darrell C. ("Shifty") Powers.....no matter where ya are in the world....Texas,Europe, you can count on us Virginia guys when it hits the fan :)

(For those of you who dont know, I was born and raised there)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That was often the case in WWII, my grandpa was a sniper picked in Theater in WWII, he was given the job, as he was known in his CO as the best shot. He was given brief training on the 03A4 and the scope, and presto chango he was a sniper. He was used, from the little I could get him to talk about, as a DM mostly, for counter sniper, and was also the Co scout, which worked well I guess. He lost his arm on a scout mission to a tank shell, in addition to taking 3MG rounds and a rifle round. He was lucky to live, and was told the cold saved him(it was DEC 11 1944 just prior to the battle of the bulge). He too learned to shoot from hunting for his dinners during the depression. He in turn taught me to shoot.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
12twist said:
...no matter where ya are in the world....Texas,Europe, you can count on us Virginia guys when it hits the fan :)

(For those of you who dont know, I was born and raised there)
Not to get off-topic, but just curious where in VA you're from. I moved here to Lexington (Rockbridge county) a few yrs ago. Great hunting!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
There is a guy that lived his whle life here that wound up in the Alamo Scouts. I have read in several books about his shooting abilites. He took part in the Cabutuan raid. To get a view into the camp he put on civilan clothing, shoved his M-1 down his pants and boldly walked to a nippa hut in broad daylight. One book he is mentioned in is Ghost Soldiers. a friend of mine knew him from the early 50's until he passed away and vouched for his shooting abilties. his name was Bill Nellist. Click below for more info.

http://www.alamoscouts.org/features/war ... i/main.htm

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Why train a soldier or marine to place one shot into the skull of the enemy that takes several minutes to set up the shot... not to mention months apont months of training (not including regular training)... when you can train him in several months total time to put 20 rounds from his M-1981A2 B.A.R. into a window and toss a Frag into a room and take out 20 germans? HEH... this was WW2... dead civilians didnt matter to anyone... sadly. The tactical rifleman did not have a large role in the largest modern war... because quite simply he was not needed in large numbers for the type of fighting that was occuring at the time.

BC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BC does offer a a good point. Makes sense too. But didn't the Germans employ more Scharfschütze's? What was his name, he was the best sniper in Germany during WW II and he trained men in this skill. BUt he was killed in Russia against a infamous Russian Sniper. Yeah speaking about Russia, they also had many trained in this field too right? Lol as you can tell im random at thoughts. 8)

Now the best shot in BoB, shifty, that was episode 7 when they attacked Foy. Your talkin about the scene where he takes out the German Sniper in the church tower? And Lipton was running to distract the sniper, that scene?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Yea, that scene. The thing to remember that was a documenrty, not fiction. Also the thing about the Russans they used snipers in a diffrent way than us. They use them more like we use Designated Marksmen, with a sniper team assigned to every platoon I believe in some cases. IMHO that is a very good use of snipers and a great enhancement when used with the US methode of sniper employment.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Didn't the Russians invent the two man shooter/spotter team? Oh, and Shifty killed a sniper in Carentan too :D

"I ain't a good shot...Now daddy, he was a good shot. He could take the wings off a fly, I declare!" Gotta love that guy.

Just to echo what Mlammers said, I am sure a bunch of y'all read One shot one kill, but it tells the story of some ww2 snipers in the beginning and one of em shot best in company on quals. Based on that alone he was given a Springfield and Unertl. No instructions whatsoever, he figured out how to use it on his own.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Didn't the Russians invent the two man shooter/spotter team? Oh, and Shifty killed a sniper in Carentan too :D

"I ain't a good shot...Now daddy, he was a good shot. He could take the wings off a fly, I declare!" Gotta love that guy.

Just to echo what Mlammers said, I am sure a bunch of y'all read One shot one kill, but it tells the story of some ww2 snipers in the beginning and one of em shot best in company on quals. Based on that alone he was given a Springfield and Unertl. No instructions whatsoever, he figured out how to use it on his own.
Yea, the Russians really advanced sniping in many ways.

If you read Citizen Solidier by Stephen Ambrose about D-Day +1 to the end of the war it tells of another unoffical sniper. Again he grew up in rural areas hunting. It talks about one incident when he was scouting alone behind German lines a few days after the invasion. He came upon what sounded like a command post. He poped over the hedge row and found a German command center. 10 Germans surrendered until a machine gun about 100 yards away opend up on him. In the firefight he killed all the Germans including the MG position, and gathered up all the maps. It turned out the maps were of a German attack plan in that area. When the allies advanded to that area they found the bodies still there. All killed with head shots including the machine gunners. BTW the Americans clothes were rittled with bullet holes, but he was untouched.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes... WW2 did field many many snipers... in numbers we will probably never see again. However... in the ratio of snipers to regular soldiers... there were not that many snipers in WW2. Snipers are a very valuble tool in warfare... ever since the 1770's Snipers have shown themselves to be well worth the time of training and logistics to employ them properly... problem is... WW2 was a whole different kind of war (especially in Europe during the Allied invasion). Why training a sniper when you can train a B-17 bombadier? Instead of sending one sniper into a town... you could send an armada (spelling?) of B-17's over the town and just bomb the living $%#@ out of it... killing anything in the town... mainly soldiers (civilians as well... unfortinatly).

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts