Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start the break-in of my new 700VLS in .308 and was wondering if the brand or style of ammo that I use to do the break-in with matters?

I was going to get a few boxes of the American Eagle or something similar. Maybe just some 150's? I'm not worried about laying down good groups till I'm done with the break in and get 150-200 shots down the barrlel.

Any suggestions?

-Matt

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Just be sure its good clean ammo. May want to avoid cheaper surplus ammo. This is pure theory, but heavier grain bullets may help break in a barrel faster/better

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Regular soft point hunting ammo... anything with a soft point (or a copper base for that matter) so you dont get lead in the barrel. Cheap "core lokt" remington soft point ammo is what i use to break in my barrels... however... you can avoid the whole barrel break in mess and just get the barrel hand lapped. Hand lapping the barrel "breaks" it in without firing it... and actually does a better job.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To break down the procedure barney style... its basically using a compound to smooth out the surface of a peice of metal. You can lapp any peice of metal you want... contact surfaces in the action and bolt... the contact points of sear's and trigger's... anything that moves and touches should be cleaned and lapped. There are several different kinds of lapping that i know of. Hand lapping (using a rod and jag with the compound to spread it through the bore) and fire lapping ( using a bullet that is coated with the compound to spread it through the bore ).

Basically... its smoothing out the surface of the inside of the bore.

Here is a video showing the difference between a "normal" barrel and a custom made hand lapped barrel. If you have DSL / Cable or other high speed internet click on the first link... if you have Dial-up or a slower internet connection click on the second link for best results.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/borescope_hi.asx

http://www.riflebarrels.com/borescope_lo.asx

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
links don't work BC, at least not for me.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
APK-223 said:
links don't work BC, at least not for me.
Im sorry... i should have specified that you need Windows Media Player to see the video's. You can right click the link and do the "save target as" option... save it to your desk top and right click on it once its on your desk top and scroll down to "open with..." and choose your video player of choice.

BC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts