Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a savage 110 in .30-06 with a savage heavy barrel (.875 O.D.) and need a comp or brake to keep it on the table, it loves to jump!. I know zip about these, please spread the wealth of knowledge and please give me some links. Thanks. DK

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I would suggest finding a thread on brake. It may cost a little more for the machining but it is worth it. I have a bolt on brake on the SKS and had to dimple the bbl to get it to stick and bolts still come loose. If you weld one on you can never get it off (well you can but it's a lot of work).

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Do NOT weld a brake on your bbl. It will probably screw up the rifle. Yor best bet is to have the bbl threaded and a brake put on. I have no idea of the cost, but you can buy muzzel brakes from brownells or midway as well as other places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It jumps an inch off the table every time!. I just noticed a guy with one on his .460 and it stayed put, but jesu..... GOLLY, it was loud!

·
Registered
181 Posts
daskraut said:
It jumps an inch off the table every time!. I just noticed a guy with one on his .460 and it stayed put, but jesu..... GOLLY, it was loud!
Are you using a bipod? Try putting it on sandbags instead. Bipods have a tendency to "jump" when they are on flat, smooth surfaces (or at least, that has been my experience).

·
Registered
181 Posts
daskraut said:
Tis on a bipod, but I still want a muzzle brake to also reduce the mule like kick.
Bah, recoil is just the gun telling you that you pulled the trigger :p

The bipod is your culprit then, shoot off of sand bags, or put the bipod on the ground.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I heard of a bloke who cut a sod of earth with grass on top and put that on the bench and the bipod on the sod ...... apparently it worked very well, no jump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very funny kiwi, my sheep bleated with delight :shock: .....at your humor! :lol: . I swear I saw an M60 (tank) style brake that worked well, I just can't find it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hmmm, I can't imagine a 30-06 having a muzzle jump like that. That is interesting. A muzzle break I do not think is necessray for a rifle of that caliber. How is the rifle being held in relative to your shoulder, bench, etc. That could also be a contributing factor.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! DO NOT WELD ANYTHING TO THE END OF YOUR BARELL!!!!!!! THERE GOES THE CROWN AND ACCURACY. GET THAT THREADED!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Shuggerz said:
Hmmm, I can't imagine a 30-06 having a muzzle jump like that. That is interesting. A muzzle break I do not think is necessray for a rifle of that caliber. How is the rifle being held in relative to your shoulder, bench, etc. That could also be a contributing factor.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! DO NOT WELD ANYTHING TO THE END OF YOUR BARELL!!!!!!! THERE GOES THE CROWN AND ACCURACY. GET THAT THREADED!!!!!!
My Zulu 63 (Savage 110 in .30-06) jumps quite a bit, even when the bipod is on the ground. Maybe I just need to work on my shooting form.

I, too, don't think a muzzle brake is necessary on a .30-06, but to each his own. The weight of this rifle has really tamed the recoil down alot, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts