Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have a 260 remington upper made for an AR10, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were. I would like to go with a shorter barrel, 22", but wasn't sure if that would be considered too short.

Any thoughts?

John

PS I am not currently doing reloading, but I will be in the near future. So 22 would probably be too short, but I am no expert by any means on ballistics.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
It sounds like a great project to me. Especially if I get some custom loaded long range .260 ammo manufactured. Please keep us posted.

The 22" tube is going to lose a bit of velocity, but it shouldn't be too terrible.

MEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is going to be a "sniper" rifle, usually the extra couple of inches doesn't make a huge difference at 500+ yards. For benchrest shooting, even hundredths of an inch, count. Where it starts to pinch is the weight of your rifle because of the extra 8+ inches of barrel.

Standard rifle barrels are 24". I've seen benchrest firearms with 34" of meat sticking out from the end of the stock. If you plan on carrying it in the woods, etc., I wouldn't want anymore than 24". It just gets in the way.

If you start handloading, you could use faster powder to make sure you get peak pressure while the bullet is still in the barrel. I'm not familiar with the .260 other than basic ballistics; I don't even know what type of powders work better than others. Maybe someone else would be more qualified to comment on this post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hmmmm that is kind of a controversial signature isnt it? is there something you need to talk about man? we are here for you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personally... i would go 24" barrel with a 260 Rem caliber. Longer barrels never hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
LONG TRA'NG said:
hmmmm that is kind of a controversial signature isnt it? is there something you need to talk about man? we are here for you.
Yea i have no clue what is going on in that guys head... but im sure its a little "different". :roll: Looks like a bunch of oversized rats pulling a person apart... www.DrPhil.com :wink:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Dawn of the Dead clip is killin me, I can't concentrate on what I'm reading!

John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, that clip needs to go i think.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What do you intend to do with your AR-10?

If you wanted a nice short handy rifle for general purpose use, you might consider a 16 inch barrel. In a 16 inch barrel, you would still get some serious velocity. You could get close to 2700 fps with a 120 grain bullet.

And don't forget the 6.5 calibers do not really need high velocity. You can get some great results using raw sectional density and high ballistic coefficient.

On the other hand if you want a long range precision rifle, you should maximize your muzzle velocity.

Personally, I'd get a 20 to 22 inch barrel. But I would build my AR-10 on the KT Ordnance AR-10 receiver. And I would install Chip McCormick's precision adjustable AR-15 trigger mechanism. When I visited KT Ordnance, I sent Mel, an 80% AR-10 receiver to look at. And he can attest to the extreme high quality of the thing.

The KT receiver starts out as a solid 7 pound forged billet of aluminium and it is whittle away in a three axis CNC vertical milling centre. It is truly the nicest AR receiver that you can find.

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Mad,

Yes, it really is a work of art, I really liked it. But are they producing them for sale? Or is it 80% only, and are they ready for sale?

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
dangit, that guys sig made me not read the thread.

LOL YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!! I WANTED TO DO IT.
Ive actually been thinking about doing a 260 ar rifle for a while. Sniperdog has a buddy who does custom uppers using walther lothar barrels, it might be something to check into.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Good old Zombie movies!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah mel but 80% isnt that bad. it has all the main things you need. namely all the machined parts. i myslef would prefer 80% so i can get it for cheaper and install my own stock and my own trigger mechanism. and sear. not that i would file the sear becasue that is illegal. I know Iknow who NEEDS an automatic? but who NEEDS a car? just becasue you dont need it doesnt mean it isnt fun to have.<------- that was just so people dont jump on my crap for the comment. i know how everyone feels. and i am kidding.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the 80% receiver from KT. I finally tracked down the Picture of Abigail(Richard at KT Ordnance's 1911 he built) and it looks like a very nice piece.

Mel, he has the receivers for sale on his web now. Mad was kind enough to steer me in his direction. Very nice guy to deal with and ver helpful as well. Three times a year he opens up his machine shop and lets people finish their receivers on his equipment. He has a BBQ on that day as well, just sounds like a great time. He is waiting to hear from Mad so he can set the date for it this summer.*nudge* *nudge* He charges nothing extra for YOU finishing the receivers on his equipment. It must be noted that he is not the one that actually finishes them. In order for it to be legal for you to take it with you, you must be the one to finish the machining.

John

PS If you want more information give Richard a call. He obviously can give alot more concise information on the legal aspects, as well as what exactly it is that you need to do.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Mel:

Just call Richard and then drive down the road to Dillon. Richard will set up the CNC machine and all you would have to do is press the button.

The machine will do the rest and you will have manufactured your very own 100% AR-10 receiver. And it would be perfectly legal for you to press the button. The guy who presses the button is actually the manufacturer.

Building an AR-15 or AR-10 is actually very, very easy even if you do not use the CNC machine. Using the drill press will take you about half an hour. All you would have to do is drill 7 holes and tap the receiver extension tube threads. You can easily tap the threads using the tap and a pipe wrench. In fact your son could do it.

The whole thing is actually easier than your Twedish Mauser build.

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Oh, all of my young forum readers... you are thinking so small :wink: I'm looking at the big picture, like the SC Designated Marksman rifle! I cannot resale a 80% receiver, they can only be used for personal use only. Of course, I'm very interested in building one for myself, in fact, if there is BBQ down at KT, I'd go, especially if Mad or some others will be there. (part of the SC shoot fest?)

But, I'm still looking and would like to do a DMR for SC.

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mel,

I have been talking with Mad, we are planning on going to the BBQ there on the trip out to Montana. Hopefully the dates for the SC fest can be worked out soon, so this can all be set up. Since you build firearms I am assuming that you can finish the 80% receivers yourself and serialize them (form 1?) I know there are like 5 different types of FFL's, is the one you have for SC one that will allow you to do this?

On a sort of side note, I am purchasing three AR10 receivers from KT, I am trying to get at least one, maybe two, uppers made before I get out there so I can get them finished while I am there. As of right now, the three I am planning on building are a 243 Win 16-20", 260 Rem 16", and 260 Rem 24". I figured you might want to check them out for your DMR rifle.

John

PS Would everyone please stop telling me about all these great firearm options. Pretty soon I am going to be living in a card board box, right next to my safe that is overflowing with firearms.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spade,

Did you call Teppo Jutsu this week about an AR 260 upper? When I talked to them about it, they said I was the second guy this week to inquire about it. SniperDog referred me to them, I can only assume that is who he referred you to as well.

Also, what twist rate would you all recommend for the 120 grain 260 out of a 16" barrel? Would you use a different twist rate for a 260 w/ a 24" barrel? AND..What twist would you use for a 243 Win with a shorter barrel? I was looking at Mad's post here:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=644

But since I don't know the length of any 243 & 260 bullets I am kind of stuck.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8 1/2 twist sound about right for a 120 grain bullet on the 260? That was what I was able to come up with in my limited understanding.

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts