Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, just got back from a 10 hour training class, and I have some thoughts to share, and un-official gear reviews too.

The Class I took the NRA Basic Pistol Safety course with legal briefing, a 10 hour event, and the best money I've ever spent. The three instructors were all absolutely top-flight. I even learned a thing or two, and had a great time doing it. I can't vouch for this same class taught anywhere else by anyONE else, but if you live anywhere near Titusville FL, (where the space shuttles come from), you should definately attend. It could have been awful, instead it was incredible.

The Pistol Naturally, if one is to attend a handgun class, one should have a handgun. I picked up my new Glock 34 9mm yesterday, and shot it for the first time today. There were no malfunctions of any kind. All the controls operated smoothly and positively. So far as I could tell, the adjustable sights needed no adjustment. I, however, need practice. The pistol balances very well, fits me perfectly, and even with its double-stack magazine, I could actuate all of the controls without changing my firing grip, something I can't say for most pistols. The all inclusive cost (including tax & background check) for the new gun was about $610.00.

The Bag "So, where to put the gear?", I pondered. Well, after some consideration, I decided on the 5.11 Tactical Range Ready Bag. It came via the big brown truck of happiness, and was quickly filled with all of my pistol shooting gear. And I mean ALL of it. There are many pockets, it is solidly designed of good materials, and easily organizes your gear. I'll spare you the minute details, but suffice it to say that this is the best range bag I've ever seen or handled. I ordered it through copquest at a significant discount and free shipping. Total cost: $79.99.

The Holster There was no drawing from the holster in the class, but I have been able to spend a good amount of time practicing drawing on my own from my Blackhawk CQC Carbon Fiber holster with Serpa technology. Whew, thats a mouthful, isn't it? As far as outside the pants holsters go, I have found none better. The Serpa thing mentioned is an automatically activating level 2 retention lock. The gun will not come out without deactivating the lock, but when deactived (quite instinctively I might add) the gun presents very quickly. 5 to 10 minutes practicing and you'll have it down; I don't think I can physically draw a handgun faster, the lock doesn't slow you down at all, unlike some holsters. Although advertised for the G17/22 size, the G34 worked perfectly, it just stuck out a little at the bottom. If you need "one good holster" this is it. It was in stock at my local gun shop and cost about $60.00. They can also be ordered from Blackhawk's website.

Other things worthy of note As a bonus, near the end of the class one of the instructors brought out his ACOG equipped Colt M4 carbine and had us fire at balloons 100 yards distant. This was not part of the required course cirriculum, this was just for fun, and it shows how much thought the instructors put into the class. For the record, I had never previously fired an AR design rifle, and I was the top rifle shot in the class, nailing all of my balloons without any misses; not a spectacular feat, but one that those with more experience than me with the AR design didn't pull off. After using the ACOG, and an explaination on how the the reticle works, I recommend the ACOG to anyone needing a "fighting sight".

Final Thoughts I've had to summarize my unofficial "reviews" here for space, and to keep things interesting. I could easily write a few thousand more words about the little details, so if you have any specific questions, please ask. If it seems like I gave glowing reviews, its because they deserve them. I would recommend without hesitation any of these items, although some others I had a chance to handle not mentioned here do not get my recommendation. I have been fortunate in my pistol shooting experiences thus far, and I can only hope other shooters have a similarly positive experience. I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have been hemorrhaging money to get started in pistol competition, and its true, I've spent over a grand already with more to come, but if in doubt, look to my signature below. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. Now lets see if I can shoot a good IDPA classifier, and then I want a .223 and then this, and then that... :wink:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thats because people are still trying to finish reading Recoil's novella on doomsday.

Seems like it was a good class you went to. I will probably be taking some classes on handgun use, but they will be more tactical in orientation. I keep meaning to check out the equipment you reviewed, I just haven't gotten around to it as of yet!

John

*edited for grammar* Scratch Maroon scares me!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Bead Drawer, nice writeup. I'd like to know more about what you actually did in the course. For example, distances, types of targets, firing positions, any quick firing, etc

thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A large portion of the total time in the class was in the classroom learning law, technique, etc. I think we spent 3 hours shooting. Targets were NRA bullseye pistol targets (don't remember which designation) and the distance was only 15 feet I believe. Firing postions were a two-handed "universal" stance that could be used for pistol, rifle or shotgun, and also the classic strong hand only bullseye stance. We fired strings based on instructions from the instructor, for example: "load five, two hands, unlimited time, 2 repetitions, fire when ready." We went from loading one at a time through ten at a time, and the last string was 10 shots freestyle for score. The possible score was 100/10x, the class high was 97/3x, and mine was not the high score :( We may have fired 75 rounds total...this is not a "tactical" course, more of a basic introduction that could handle someone who'd never even seen a gun before. The firing could only be described as "slow fire", not quick shooting. Of the seven of us that came, only myself and two others even owned our own pistols. I took this class largely for the legal briefing, and becuase it satisfys Florida's training requirement for a concealed weapons license.

The rifle shooting was benchrest at 100 yards at head sized balloons. Each student only shot 5 shots with the rifle, since it was a bonus, and not part of the class curriculum. I was the only one to break all five balloons.

Here is our range: http://www.titusvillegun.com/
Feel free to look around, and the course description is under the "NRA Basic Pistol Course" link.

and also, a page from the NRA about the various programs: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training ... andgun.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts