Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into precision shooting and have a couple of questions. First, does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Albuquerque area? I just picked up a 700 vs .308 with a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x (target rig) and would like to have the lugs lapped, action blueprinted, etc. Also, how do you measure the correct length of pull you should be using?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Before you go to the expense of seeking out a gunsmith, how does the thing shoot?

Get some Federal Match Ammo and test-fire the rifle from a proper bench rest. If you are just starting out and unsure of your shooting ability, have an experienced, proven marksman fire your rifle.

It may well be that you are "pulling" your shots. You might have a really accurate rifle and not know it.

Please don't think that I'm casting any aspersions as to your marksmanship. I'm a mediocre shot myself and sometimes I use experienced shooters to test my loads and guns. :)

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
To answer the first question, no, I do not know any smiths in that area. But you can ship your own rifle to any smith in the country without issue.

I like Mad's suggestion. Go fire it first and see where its at. Heck, it might be a .5 rifle as it sits!! No need to pay all the money if it already shoots well

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
rifle

Congrats on getting your rifle. I totally agree with Mel and Mad. I have owned two Remington 700 PSS and both shot .50 moa (at 100 yards) out of the box with no break in on the barrel. Such as Mad said, have an experienced rifleman check it out for you, but use the Federal Gold Medal ammo he mentioned. That is the benchmark that all .308 precision rounds are based on. As for the gun smith I cannot answer that.

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I'd say I'm also a mediocre shot. Haven't had enough trigger time in the last couple of years. Unfortunately I won"t be able to shot her until August (stuck in hospital) :( What about measuring correct length of pull?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
GunTotingLiberal said:
Unfortunately I won"t be able to shot her until August (stuck in hospital) :( What about measuring correct length of pull?
Sorry to hear you are in the Hosp. To get ABOUT the correct length of pull cradel the rifle in the crook of your arm at your elbow, so that the rifle is parallel to your forearm. The trigger finger should come right to the trigger without having to bend the wrist or move the rifle away from the arm to reach. That is a close approxmation, several factors come into play such as personal preferance, shooting position, clothing (t-shirt, heavy jacket etc) and some others. That however will get you to a point to start from. BTW it is easier to shoot a length of pull that is too short, than one that is to long.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Eka was right on.

Most people have an LOP that is a little long for them and think it is okay. A shorter LOP that is still comfortable makes a rifle more comfy and easier to use.

Get better soon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you can get pictures of the nurse/doctor/orderly when you are measuring the LOP of your rifle in the hospital, please post them here. That would be priceless.

John

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I may have to invoke Snowy's rule on this one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
dead_I_5_0 said:
what's snowy's rule?

-Brian Shields
This is a response to the same question asked previously

APK-223 said:
I would still find a way to put some pics up for as of now you are not incompliance with Article 1, section SCPR 1, rule number 1 under Snowy's Law. It is stated that......

1. Any member of snipercentral.com upon purchase or considered purchase of a: rifle, accessory, handgun, rings, base, bullets, chewing gum, or any other item which could be considered a noun must post pictures of said item at immediate time of fancy or purchase. As long as said item is of some interest to sc.com members.
I believe this is self explanatory and should be dealt with before stiff punishment is enforced (ie- stern ridicule and heckling).
I beleive that is the rule to which Muzzleblast referred.

John

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thanks JRP...I think technically Snowy's rule applies here

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, rifle will be at gunsmiths Monday for bore sighting and trigger work. I would like to apply for an extention until the rifle returns from the smiths. I'll leave this decision up to our expert peanut gallery :D

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
GunTotingLiberal said:
would like to apply for an extention until the rifle returns from the smiths.
Denied, just because you are laying in a hospital is no excuse. :lol: Well maby this once.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
And don't no one else copy this excuse either!

:lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Things went faster than expected....

Bore sighted to 100 yards and a 3 1/2 pound trigger. It's amazing what you can accomplish from a hospital bed! (Thanks dad)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Congradulations. BTW you know what they call the guy that graduates last in medical school?

Doctor, he did graduate. Scarey huh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts