Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know where I heard it, but I was once told "if you have a hard, sand-filled bag in front, you need a soft bag in the rear..................or the other way around, but never two hard or two soft bags to shoot from". Is there anything to that?

· Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Don't know where I heard it, but I was once told "if you have a hard, sand-filled bag in front, you need a soft bag in the rear..................or the other way around, but never two hard or two soft bags to shoot from". Is there anything to that?
So how do guys shoot with a bi-pod up front and a mono-pod in the rear? Or how do guys shoot from just a bunched up backpack and jackets?

If you have proper recoil management skills then you have nothing to worry about in my opinion. It may be wrong, but I don't think so.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I didn't mention it. At present, I'm shooting off a bench rest with a hard sand-filled leather owl bag. My rear bag used to have plastic beads in it, but I got rid of them and filled it with sand. I like the arrangement, but I'm wondering if the two sand bags are a no-no.

· Registered
5,231 Posts
I use a bipod in the front and I put a bag under my monopod in the rear. If the bipod is on the grass it is more forgiving than if it is on concrete. Same with the monopod. I use a rear bag under the monopod because it is more forgiving. If either or both are on a hard surface it becomes difficult to keep the rifle from stringing vertically...but not impossible.

Reactions: kyrunner

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my rifle and kind of shooting is for target and a bipod isn't used in that venue. So I'm stuck with bags. Just wanting to know if anyone knows about the two hard bags versus the hard bag and soft bag combination.

· Registered
117 Posts
I use bipod or 2x4 carpet covered rest provided by my range near home and sand filled bags for the rear. If I am a little over dead center of the target, I can squeeze the sand bags at the back to bring the rifle in-line with the target. I have tried the sand bags at both ends and it gets a little too "mushy" to try to get on target. So I prefer hard up front, soft in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.