Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, now that my sc3A5 is ordered (I love saying that!), I'm trying to plan ahead of time. And I think the load which I will be putting through my gun is key. Obviously I think it is fair to assume that Federal GMM 175's set the standard for this caliber (I could be mistaken). So I want to narrow down now what types of loads I want to experiment w/ when she arrives. This means I want to get opinions on everyting, from bullet weight, to manufacturer, to powder type and amounts. So let the fun begin.........

ps- Obviously there are different types of bullets for different needs in shooting, however my primary use will be target shooting so I want the best and most accurate cartridge I can make. Some day I may use it for something else, but for now I want accuracy.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't reload yet, but I like Federal GMM...No way to get Black Hills where I'm out right now but that should be fun for you to try. If you're punching somethin's ticket, try an accubond :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
*USE LOAD INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK*
*ALWAYS DOUBLE AND TRIPPLE CHECK THE LOAD AMMO USING LOAD MANUALS BEFORE USING THE AMMO*
(dont sue my @ss if you blow up your favorite rifle)

Here it is... this is what i use in my .308's (when not using factory M-118LR)

42.5 grains of IMR 4064
Sierra 175gr HPBT Match King's
WLR Primer or CCI 220 large rifle Primer
Match Grade Brass - Case trimmed to 2.015"
Oal 2.815"

BC

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I would prefer BC's handload to anything made commercially. I bet that load will yield less than .5 MOA.

Except I'd use Federal Gold Medal Match primers.

Mad

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
.28 MOA 5 shot groups consistantly (on average) with my LTR... granted my LTR does have a lil bit of barrel work.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forget the exact loads I was using before but I think I was using 168 Sierras w/ Re15 and Federal Primers. That is what I got this group with. What are the advantages to the 175 over the 168?

For those who can't tell, the is 1 cold shot in the black diamond, and a 3-shot consecutive group down and left. Dime for comparison. I don't remember the MOA, I don't think I measured. I was too dumbfounded that I shot that well :shock: . Lol.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
EDITED : Pic fixed

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure? I can see it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It showed as a red X.. broken link... then when i added my response it worked. :?

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
APK-223 said:
What are the advantages to the 175 over the 168?
The 175's are fully stable out past the transsonic transition... the 168's tend to start to tumble (i have seen a tracer 168 SMK tumble after about 900 yards) or become very unstable through the trans sonic transition.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so as I was thinkin, 175 is better for longer distances. But are there any advantages the 168 has at closer ranges? Say below 500yds or something?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
APK-223 said:
Ok so as I was thinkin, 175 is better for longer distances. But are there any advantages the 168 has at closer ranges? Say below 500yds or something?
Well it has a oh so very slightly higher velocity... but i will choose the 175 over 168 for anything. With my 300 RUM i use a 190gr SMK for out to 1,000 yards then once i go past 1,000 yards i use the 220 gr SMK. Lighter bullets do have there places... but i like the 175 for everything.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok BC, thanks. The 175 seems to be the choice for .308 everywhere I go.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
One small thing, the 168's kick less. So if your recoil sensitive then you might want to consider them.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
noticably??

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, can you tell the difference between 68 and 75 grain 223? i can...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Heck... once you shoot enough and know what it feels like... when you change powder types (even with a constant velocity and same bullet weight) you can feel a difference in reciol.

Yes it is deffinitly noticable. But the 175's arnt punishing or anything... its no where near a .300 Win Mag with a 190gr SMK or anything like that. :)

BC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts