Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I take that back, it wasnt a shilen barelled upper, it was a kreiger, damn, my bad gentlemen :oops:

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
777 Posts
One thing that would be interesting would be to make it as a "product improved SAM-R". Here's a little info on the SAM-R: http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?met ... e%20(SAM-R)

Speaking of improvements, I don't think muzzle accessories are really neccessary for the SCIMITAR, but if you go with one (on a .223), maybe look at the Surefire brake/suppressor adapter. Of course then you'd have to add a PRI gas blocker charging handle... *grin* I can hear the cash register ringing :wink:

mele said:
What can I do to this rifle to make it "unique" and not like all the other heavy barrel AR15 rifles out there? I have some ideas, but want to hear everyone else's.MEL
Now that we've chimed in, what did you have in mind?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bread Drawer,

Me being a VERY big fan of the AR, M16...that looks like one HELLUVA system! I just may take the semi auto M16A4 I built from scratch and configure it to those specs. I would only have a small problem getting that custom gas block. The 5.56x45 is a great round, BUT, you need the RIGHT ammo loaded for it. I think varmint bullets would really give this weapon the lethality and long range that this weapon can produce. The KAC free float RIS is a good idea. That new mag-pul adjustable stock would be a GREAT addition to this as well. Dont get me wrong, the A2 stock has good rigidness to it, but proper cheek weld and adjustable length of pull would be awesome on one of these. I still think a weapon like this would be better suited with a Jewell trigger. They give insanely low trigger pulls with next to no creep at ALL. The MRT scope is great too, but I dont like the idea of the M3 scope as opposed to the M1. I have an M3 3.5-10x40 on my .308 PS. I just dont like how the elevation is in 1 MOA increments and the windage in 1/2 MOA. Doesnt give as precise adjustments as the M1 1/4 windage and elevation turrets will. I still believe that this weapon is gonna make quite a good DM rifle for this countries marines! These are only my opinions gentlemen, and opinions are like buttholes, everyone has em and sometimes they stink!

Mel,

Have you ever thought about doing an AR type rifle in a 5.56x45? 6.8 SPC brass is REALLY hard to find nowadays ans is loaded ammo. I personally believe the military bought it all out for testing and evaluating more ammo for our soldiers. If so, it's a just cause. Its even hard to find the parent .30 remington cases. If [/b]I were to make an AR type DM or sniper rifle. I would do it in either a 6.5 grendel or 5.56x45mm case. I am quite a fan of both. Again, only my opinions gentlemen.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Don't worry, if the SCIMITAR comes into being, it will most like be chambered for 5.56, 6.8 and 6.5 if possible. It looks like there may be some licensing issues building a rifle for 6.5 grendal. Which seems odd...

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Bead Drawer said:
One thing that would be interesting would be to make it as a "product improved SAM-R". Here's a little info on the SAM-R:
Thanks for the link! This is a good idea and these specs may be something I draw from.

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
I hope it helps, Mel!

Tyler,

You're totally right about the .223 being good with the right ammo. Of course, I'm partial to triple shock X bullets. Cor Bon loads a 53 grain TSX to 3300 fps, and it's an incredible round but for distance a heavier bullet might be desireable, so...I had a thread a while back about Barnes' new 70 grain TSX. As far as I know no loaded ammo is using this bullet yet (it's a 2005 new product) but I think it could be loaded to 3000 fps and still fit in an AR magazine. That's my idea of good .223 ammo.

Here's the bullet's specs:

Type: .224" Triple Shock X Boat Tail
Weight: 70 grains
Sectional Density: .199
Ballistic Coefficient: .314
Additional: Requires at least a 1:8 or 1:7 twist.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ya know what else would be cool Mel, when and if you get a rifle like this rolling, offering a really small number in a deployment kit or something. Would be rather pricey, but thought I would shoot another idea out there.

Respectfullyl,
Tyler Consugar

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I love the way Mel broke down "Scimitar"

Too bad about the problems with 6.5 Grendel...That's really strange. I would think anyone could use it, but I guess I would be wrong.

I have a magazine I bought this week that has the Grendel compared to 6.8 SPC in many aspects. It sure does well at long range.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
@Tyler,

Possibility exists to do some full deployment packages for it.

@ Muzzle,

I'm not possitive about the grendal licensing issues, but I'm trying to find out more

MEL

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Arggghhhhh :x I dont see why they would make licensing terms for building a 6.5 Grendel. Seems kinda fishy if you ask me. I do know me and my dad had to wait for his Service Match upper reciever chambered in a 6.5 from www.competitionshooting.com for almost a year to have built. Had a Walther Lothar stainless bull barell and everything. But I have honestly never understood that licensing term. Oh well, maybe I am not supposed to understand it. :roll:

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Another choice of GREAT ammo that I tried was the Hornady Match 223 in a 75gn (maybe 77gn, do not remember :oops: ). Works like a charm in a 1:7 barrel. Only $12-14 a box too (much cheaper than Fed DMM too). More accuracte than Fed GMM out of my AR. Give it a try, good stuff.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts