Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what type or brand of boresighter works best. I have seen many types and have only used a Bushnell and a BSA which are not the best but they certainly have saved me some valuable ammunition.

Well I'm all eyes :wink: .

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
heheh... talk about cheap, let me tell you what I do.

I take the rifle to the range, and I put it in a rest or use sandbags... whatever it takes to keep the rifle upright and in place. I then pull the bolt. I then adjust the rifle by looking through the bore so it is pointing at a visible target 100 yards/meters down range. I then look through the scope without touching the rifle and adjust it until the cross hairs are pointing at the same target the bore is. This will get me on paper at 50 meters. I usually take about two rounds to get it close to point of aim, and then move back to 100 and do final zero.

MEL

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that Mel. I didn't really try that before only because I though it would take up too much ammunition but if it works for you I'm going to try it and compare.

If I'm using a variable power scope, I should have it at the highest power right? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do mine exactly the same way that Mel described and it works like a champ. I don't know about Mel, but I always set the scope to the highest power. Make SURE that the rifle is stable and secure and do your best to have the targeted point CENTERED in the bore as precisely as possible.

K2

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unless you more often than not use your scope on a setting other than its higher power, you might as well start it at the highest power.

I think this is where the term "boresight" originally came from. It has proven to be quite accurate, actually in one instance getting me on faster that way than my buddy who was using a Leopold boresighter.

But if you want a boresighter like the ones you are already using, go for a Leupold. Also, they have these laser pointer sights that are the same size as the caliber of your rifle. You chamber the laser boresighter which projects a dot on your target downrange, showing where the bullet will hit. Then you center your crosshairs on the projected dot. Have never used one, but in theory it should work really well, and quickly. Kind of pricey, though, compared to just looking in the chamber and through the barrel.

Jake

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i just put my scope on and by that point am so anxious to get it to the range... i put a target a 25y out, it will be on paper, then you ajust it till its dead center
if the scope is say 2" high and your dead center then you know that should be about 8 moa high, at 100y, the bullet drop is say 3", you go 5 moa down and you should be dead center

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honestly, that is my standard procedure...

But you must remember to check your 100-yard zero to be sure of its exact point of impact, especially before you point it at anything that is living, for their sake, if for nothing else, as bullet drop in all calibers, even bullet weights, can be quite different.

Jake

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i always do
i use those sticky targets that turn green in the areas when hit
i can see that through the scope at most ranges i normally shoot at
if i dont see a green hole (which has not happend yet) then i wonder WHY i had missed a 12" target at 100y

1 - 10 of 10 Posts