Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
They didn't. The "issues" they have do not affect anything accuracy wise. Their "issues" are more user preference related than anything.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
They didn't. The "issues" they have do not affect anything accuracy wise. Their "issues" are more user preference related than anything.
This is far from true.

One of the biggest issues that Remington factory rifles have is a super deep throat. This is a well known and documented issue that I have personally dealt with several times...and it does effect accuracy. Many have skirted around this issue by milling out the bottom of the receiver, buying longer alpha mags, single loading rounds...but in my case these solutions still didn't allow me to get anywhere near the lands.

The only acceptable solution is to limit ones self to bullets that will jump insane distances without drastically effecting accuracy.

Yes...it is an issue...and yes...it does effect accuracy.

Reactions: oilfieldjosh

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Why does it have to be accuracy wise?

Why can't it be rifle functioning like it should wise? Or even rifle functioning safely?

And further aren't their crappy triggers holding back accuracy? At least for novice shooters who haven't learned proper trigger control.

If Remington was the only manufacturer at their price point and they had these issues it would be more understandable. They are not however, and worse yet other companies don't have similar issues and sell the rifles at a lower cost.

Why can't they fix their Firing pin clearance issues? Why can't they fix their bolt handle timing issues? These should be simple fixes but they persist. Do they not care?

Further why can't they shorten their chambers a skosh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is far from true.

One of the biggest issues that Remington factory rifles have is a super deep throat. This is a well known and documented issue that I have personally dealt with several times...and it does effect accuracy. Many have skirted around this issue by milling out the bottom of the receiver, buying longer alpha mags, single loading rounds...but in my case these solutions still didn't allow me to get anywhere near the lands.

The only acceptable solution is to limit ones self to bullets that will jump insane distances without drastically effecting accuracy.

Yes...it is an issue...and yes...it does effect accuracy.
May be, but why am I able to hold a little over 2'' at 1,000 yards with a 30.06. I ran SMK 175 grain pill and at 71 I'm way past my prime. Just Rem 700 LR rifle. I did put a Timney trigger in it.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
May be, but why am I able to hold a little over 2'' at 1,000 yards with a 30.06. I ran SMK 175 grain pill and at 71 I'm way past my prime. Just Rem 700 LR rifle. I did put a Timney trigger in it.
2"? Consistently? You better start entering competitions with that Remington because you will win every one of them if you can hold 2" groups at 1000.

175 smk's tend to do ok with a jump. However if you go with one of the more ballistically superior bullets chances are it will not shoot to its potential due to the deep throat.

If you have a Remington and love it...then more power to you. It is just not realistic to feed new guys the lie that many or most of them don't have this and other issues.

Tell me again why you changed out the trigger?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im sorry for the false info then. My newer Remington must have been a odd ball. I can easily load my rounds right up to the lands and my accuracy with the hand loads isn't all that bad. I would say a .3 is average. Yes i do single feed everything, mag length is a slight slight jump. If shooting paper single feed is fine for me. Hunting with a little jump from the mag still will not make it a shot that wouldn't kill. I will admit that i do break npa and take the empty put it in the case grab another load it control my breathing and fire. This gives me a minute for barrel to cool and it works like a charm. I have only been doing this for just over a yr and can get consistent grouping with a factory tube and cheap reloading components. Does this make me a expert in the field, No. Am i the only exception to all things accuracy, i doubt it. Can anybody do this then, probably.

All I'm saying is that accuracy can be had with a Remington. I agreed that the cheapest course of action would be to remage barrel the old 22-250 with a barrel of his choice. Put in a little effort and money get a lot back.

·
Registered
878 Posts
2"? Consistently? You better start entering competitions with that Remington because you will win every one of them if you can hold 2" groups at 1000.

175 smk's tend to do ok with a jump. However if you go with one of the more ballistically superior bullets chances are it will not shoot to its potential due to the deep throat.

If you have a Remington and love it...then more power to you. It is just not realistic to feed new guys the lie that many or most of them don't have this and other issues.

Tell me again why you changed out the trigger?
First thing, I did not lie. At my age I don't do competitions of any type of shooting. I just play.Tell me again why you changed out the trigger? But I didn't tell the first time! Every weapon I own has had the trigger up graded. Rifle, pistols and shotgun. I sure hope that don't upset you. :confused:

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
First thing, I did not lie. At my age I don't do competitions of any type of shooting. I just play.Tell me again why you changed out the trigger? But I didn't tell the first time! Every weapon I own has had the trigger up graded. Rifle, pistols and shotgun. I sure hope that don't upset you. :confused:
I am not upset...just trying to leave a dose of reality for the new guys here. I also did not call you a liar. I believe you shot a 2" group with that rifle. However one group does not consistency make.

If you think about what was said...it leaves people to believe that all they need to do is go buy a Rem 700 and they will have the necessary rifle to shoot 2" groups at 1000. There may be a few really good Remington's out there...but the several I have worked with, shot, and loaded for are not anywhere near that precise. NONE of them. Chances are that the factory Remington most people will get will have issues.

Now...why do I make a deal out of it? Because I wish someone had told me all of this before I bought a Remington...spent 600+ rounds trying to get it to shoot at mag length...was told it might do better if loaded long. Spent another 500 or so rounds getting mediocre groups only to sell everything for something more reliable and less picky.

Reactions: Orkan and Rhyno430

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
May be, but why am I able to hold a little over 2'' at 1,000 yards with a 30.06.
Hold a little over 2" at 1000yds huh? Well, that pretty much makes you the most talented shooter on the planet.

Not "shot a group at 1000 that measured a little over 2 inches" but "hold a little over 2" at 1000yds," you say. "Hold" ...that means consistent.

Congratulations... that's quite a feat. Truly, a feat matched by no man before you, actually. And with a factory remington 30.06 no less!?!?! Truly something indeed. I'd like to see that sometime before I die. If I came to visit you in Arizona, would you show me? I'd prefer to come during the winter. :)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/08/amazing-2-856-10-shot-group-at-1000-yards/

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
Hold a little over 2" at 1000yds huh? Well, that pretty much makes you the most talented shooter on the planet.

Not "shot a group at 1000 that measured a little over 2 inches" but "hold a little over 2" at 1000yds," you say. "Hold" ...that means consistent.

Congratulations... that's quite a feat. Truly, a feat matched by no man before you, actually. And with a factory remington 30.06 no less!?!?! Truly something indeed. I'd like to see that sometime before I die. If I came to visit you in Arizona, would you show me? I'd prefer to come during the winter.

Amazing 2.856? 10-Shot Group at 1000 Yards ? Potential Record « Daily Bulletin
No feat, lots of luck. Another way, weapon is ok the old man was lucky.Amazing 2.856? 10-Shot Group at 1000 Yards? Ten shots, that's great and I'm happy to do it with 2 to 5 rounds. And as I said I play at it. If you recall what I did with a 308 in a Savage by pushing round it hard. Just once. View attachment 19273

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
So, not "hold" 2" then? One single group rather?

That's believable. I've had 3 bullets land on top of each other, literally, at 1000yds before. Shoot enough, and it happens.

Though we must have different interpretations of the english language a bit. When I say I can "hold" x sized group, that means that's what I can almost always achieve. ... but then if you're saying it's luck, how does your statement apply to what ddd007 is saying? Wouldn't he be correct in his interpretation of remington's capabilities? (it certainly sounds like he's correct to me)

·
Registered
878 Posts
So, not "hold" 2" then? One single group rather?

That's believable. I've had 3 bullets land on top of each other, literally, at 1000yds before. Shoot enough, and it happens.

Though we must have different interpretations of the english language a bit. When I say I can "hold" x sized group, that means that's what I can almost always achieve. ... but then if you're saying it's luck, how does your statement apply to what ddd007 is saying? Wouldn't he be correct in his interpretation of remington's capabilities? (it certainly sounds like he's correct to me)
When I say I held X if it's 2, 3, or 5 rounds that's what I held. As for me the weapon can do great, but can the shooter. In this picture the two rounds on the left are mind. But the nice group is a close friend's Savage in 308, at 1,000yards. Now he has a custom barrel and was shooting 175's, but not SMK's. For another old man he did all right. View attachment 19281 Let see he is 69 and I'm heading to 72 in a few months. All I say if old me can play around, what can a young man working at it do.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
When I say I held X if it's 2, 3, or 5 rounds that's what I held. As for me the weapon can do great, but can the shooter. In this picture the two rounds on the left are mind. But the nice group is a close friend's Savage in 308, at 1,000yards. Now he has a custom barrel and was shooting 175's, but not SMK's. For another old man he did all right. View attachment 19281 Let see he is 69 and I'm heading to 72 in a few months. All I say if old me can play around, what can a young man working at it do.
I understand what you mean when you say "hold" now. Thank you.

I'd like to clarify the argument you're trying to make however... because I may be misinterpreting it.

Are you saying that you believe a guy should expect sub-1/4moa performance at 1000yds with a stock remington 700? If thats not right, then please clarify what you're saying.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I understand what you mean when you say "hold" now. Thank you.

I'd like to clarify the argument you're trying to make however... because I may be misinterpreting it.

Are you saying that you believe a guy should expect sub-1/4moa performance at 1000yds with a stock remington 700? If thats not right, then please clarify what you're saying.
Would that be two or three rounds or 10 rounds?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Remington 700 5R so I can tell you from experience about what to expect. The bolt lift was extremely stiff I had the bolt worked on, The trigger was heavy and I found inconsistent sometimes, The headspacing was way off, when I started reloading the long throat became a pain in the ass. I load my Berger 185 Juggernauts .010 off the lands but that puts me over 3.000 OAL so I single feed them. With all that being said the rifle shoots excellent @ 100 yards I shoot sub half moa

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I understand what you mean when you say "hold" now.
lol...

Well what ya'll call "hold", and what I call "hold" are TRULY diametrically opposed!

I HOLD about 2.0 MOA for 20 shots at LR. Not very good you say? Well no, it's not as good as I want yet. But this 1,000 yard stuff is not easy.

To the OP, etc.: I am running the .223 about as far as it can go. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody starting out.

I'd go with a 6 BR set up for 107's in a 22" and call it a day.

-Nate

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Well what ya'll call "hold", and what I call "hold" are TRULY diametrically opposed!
Don't lump me in with satcong. I think "hold" means what most everyone else thinks "hold" means. Being consistently capable, majority of the time = hold. If I'm understanding correctly, satcong thinks "hold" means 2-5 shots. Any, 2-5 shots.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts