Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Nah, I'm just being a pedant.

I mean actually hold the rifle. In your hands. :D

-Nate

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use 6.5mm grendel. I am convinced it is the best cartridge out there. Its good for everything. Its a pretty good hunting round as well

·
Registered
871 Posts
He probably meant to say out of all the calibers he fired out of AR15 rifles, 6.5 Grendel has intrigued him the most.

If other wise, dude needs to get out more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already have a similar setup in a 20 inch odinworks barrel laying around oddly enough. I do like it, but for this application, i just want a bolt action, i already have an old burned out 700 in 22-250 laying around along with a magpul 700 hunter stock, I just wanted to re barrel the action in something for her to save me a little on the cash verses building/buying another ar 15. I do like grendel though. how well does it fair in shorter barrels like say 18 inches or less? and what twist would be optimal to still shoot something like the 123 gr eld-ms? and what else compares to it ballistically in short action? I want to hear all my options before I commit to a barrel since its not something I can easily go back on. also how does something like 6x45 or 243 win fair out of shorter barrels?
I have an Aero precision 6.5 Grendel with an 18” barrel that rings steel easily out to 500 yards. That’s as far as I’ve gone with it. I also have a radical arms 24” barrel. Depending on wind it’s about 1 to 2moa difference in rise with the shorter barrel. Taking white tail at 200 yds would not be an issue at all. Might also look at a 6mm or 6.5 creedmoor. Either one would be very capable at those distances and beyond with minimal recoil.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Short barrels.
I use a number of cartridges with barrel lengths: 14", 15", 16", 17", and 18".
I typically shoot to a grand and beyond, but typically not much beyond 1400-1500 yards. I have shot past 2K though.
All depends on how far you want to shoot...
For hunting, it changes things, as you need to choose a good bullet for tissue , and be aware of your impact velocities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since you suggest a bolt action for the little lady
I take it that your not married to the AR platform
Here's my 14" barrel 6x45 with a little wrap around wood

It's just a lot of fun to shoot and really accurate with no recoil
I'm always in Ernie's dust apparently but I'm glad to be included

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Since you suggest a bolt action for the little lady
I take it that your not married to the AR platform
Here's my 14" barrel 6x45 with a little wrap around wood
View attachment 29039
It's just a lot of fun to shoot and really accurate with no recoil
I'm always in Ernie's dust apparently but I'm glad to be included
That thing is about as close to a rifle as you can get to a rifle without being considered one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
14.5" barrel 308 Win. Does good on steel out to a grand at least with factory TAP 168's.

17" 6.5-284 muley at 588 yards.

16" 6mm-284 with 90 grain Accubonds at 400 yards 3-shots.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
14.5" barrel 308 Win. Does good on steel out to a grand at least with factory TAP 168's.

17" 6.5-284 muley at 588 yards.

16" 6mm-284 with 90 grain Accubonds at 400 yards 3-shots.
You saying you ding steel at 1000yds with a 308win with a Sierra TMK168? I’m guessing that’s a hand load. I couldn’t get 175 TMKs to work in my 700P 308win 1/12twist.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I said TAP 168 grain...As in Hornady TAP ammo with the 168 grain A-Max.
This is factory ammo. It stays stable beyond a grand though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I said TAP 168 grain...As in Hornady TAP ammo with the 168 grain A-Max.
This is factory ammo. It stays stable beyond a grand though.
I tried the Sierra match 175s with the polymer tips about 4 years ago. No joy. I thought the 168s you were referring to were the polymer tipped Sierras. My mistake. The factory GMM Sierra168s also didn’t work, couldn’t make them reliably reach past 8-900yds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a friend who has an AI (26" barrel I believe) and he has hit steel at mile and further with both the older TAP 168 A-Max, and the newer TAP 168 grain ELD-M.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a friend who has an AI (26" barrel I believe) and he has hit steel at mile and further with both the older TAP 168 A-Max, and the newer TAP 168 grain ELD-M.
I'm lazy. I try to find one round that can reach out and I focus on the load development for that projectile solely for that weapon. I don't maintain different loads because once I get the scope dialed in for a round I leave it alone. It seams that the 1000yd range in my area (1.5hr drive) closed. So now I have all these 6.5CM's ready to fly and nowhere to go. I have hear pretty good things about Hornady and their prices are pretty good compared to my go to Sierra match and Berger target match projectiles. I don't care to waste a good barrel on a 100yd range if she's doing bug holes or clover leafs. I want a TOF of at least a second or more. If I remember right 1000yds is about 1.7sec. From my point of view that worth shooting. BUT That's just me. Got spoiled shooting at 1K going back to 100 with a long gun .... boring..

41 - 60 of 62 Posts